Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't go into pawn shops very often as I don't get out that much. Me and the wife stopped in one a couple of days ago and I came home with a new to me revolver.
It's a 1976 (?) Colt Trooper MK III with a 4" barrel and nickel plated.

I haven't shot it yet so I can't say how it's going to do. It's a range gun as there is no box or papers and plus it has some pits in the finish and holster ware on the barrel. I gave $350 out the door so we shall see how good a judge I am of old revolvers this weekend.

Regards Baldy

·
Registered
321 Posts
It looks pretty good from where I am sitting, baldy. If it is tight and the timing is on, I'd say you've done well. Let us know when you get it out to shoot.

PGM

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi PGM. I hope to get her to the range tomorrow or Sunday. I checked this gun like I have never checked a gun before. I sure hope I didn't miss anything. It has some pitting and the nickel is wore off on the barrel a little but that is all I can find. It's going to be a shooter so I am not to worried about the cosmetics.

·
Registered
363 Posts
You call that an "old" Colt?

Yesterday I sold two "old" Colts.

A New Service made in 1917 and chambered for the .455 Eley with Canadian gov't property marks. And a Army Special made in 1927 chambered for the .32-20 WCF.

My newest Colt DA revolver is a 1975 Python .357 Magnum. I guess that would make it an oldtimer by your reckoning.

Roadster

·
Registered
129 Posts
That is a beautiful revolver...keep us informed please.

I have a list of "must get" Colts but never seem to come across any when in the market. A big favorite of mine is the Official Police, I fired one and was in love.

·
Registered
645 Posts
baldy,

Shows to go ya, we gotta keep looking for these '"old" beauties, they don't just jump in your lap, nice find baldy, price was right and the pic's are great, let us know how she handles.

Papabear

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you gentlemen for looking. I had hoped to get to the range this past weekend but got side tracked by the wife. She needed some help and I can't say no. We got a gun show coming up this weekend in Orlando and you know where I'll be. I will post as soon as I get a chance to shoot it.
Your 100% right Papabear we got to get out there and dig for these old guns that we love so much. My hold back is I can't drive anymore. I have a hard time getting a ride sometimes. Well thanks again everybody.

G

·
Wasn't there a Lawman version of tha revolver? Sort of plain-Jane, no frills piece?
Actually, no and yes:

There were two generations of Colt Troopers: The original, manufactured from 1954 through 1969, like "flusher's" appears to be, and a newer Trooper with an entirely different internal design. In 1969 Colt introduced the Mark III series of their law enforcement revolvers with a multiplicity of improvements and upgrades (and, according to some, to reduce the manufacturing cost of their LE revolvers). The initial item of the new series was the Trooper Mark III and in the next several months the Lawman, Metropolitan and the Official Police were announced, all based on the same frame and internal design. I believe all have "Mark III" stamped on them. The earlier-generation Troopers, like "flusher's" appears to be, would not have this connotation.

The Mark III Trooper was the "top of line" with adjustable sights but the other Mark III revolvers were somewhat less fancy with fixed sights, and varied from each other in features such as available calibers, barrel weight and shape, and grips.

So, the earlier-generation Troopers didn't have any plain-Jane siblings, the the later Mark III Troopers did.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep! Nevadaalan has it right as I been trying to find out what I can on the web today. I wish I would have knowed to just ask him. The frist Troopers were built on the I-frame and in 1969 they changed to the J-frame. You can drive yourself nuts trying to get the information you want on a gun.
Flusher I knew I had seen that old beauty of yours somewhere before and then I seen it over on the Colt site today. Good luck with her.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I got me some new stocks for it at the show this past weekend and they feel great. I think it's going to be a good shooter now. Most guns that feel good to me I shoot good with them. I still got my fingers grossed.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Nevadaalan. The man at the counter said they was but they were not in a Colt box or anything like that. He gave them to me in a plastic baggie. They set me back $65 and they fit fairly good so I am happy. Those big black rubber stocks were way to big for me. They do have a Colt medallion in them or maybe a fake I don't know. There was only two pairs in the whole place that I could fine and he had both pairs.

Regards Baldy

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hey Baldy, I'm a big fan of wood-and-steel, and I like your new grips a lot, but don't let those old Pachmayrs get away from you -- they are classics in their own right, just like the gun they came on. They really work, for lengthy sessions or high-steppin' ammo. I have a set on my Model 57 and love 'em.

Nice gun, too. You lucky so-and-so!

G

·
I believe that I recognize those grips now as Colt factory, 1980's-90's vintage. If they have a Colt medallion inlayed in them it's highly unlikely that they're not. (Too much trouble for somebody to custom-make a pair and install the Colt medallion, and Colt would be "all over" an aftermarket grip maker for putting fake Colt medallions in their product.)

They were worth $65.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the information Nevadaalan and everybody. I was around when these guns came out but I was busey with dirty diapers and time payments as I have a large family and was an over the road truck driver to boot. I done a lot of shooting when I could but I didn't have time to stay up on everything else. Thanks Again.

Regards, Baldy

G

·
I was around when these guns came out but I was busey with dirty diapers and time payments as I have a large family and was an over the road truck driver to boot.
It's apparent that things "are on the improve."

Enjoy your new baby.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hey Nevadaalan:
Is there any doubt that flusher is showing a Colt 357 Trooper?
You keep saying " It appears to be" which leaves some doubt.
Look at the barrel.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts