Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gents,

The othere day I was practicing my draw from concealment. As I got going faster I suddenly felt a twinge/pull/sprain take place in my wrist. Huh? That's never happened before...

My wrist was sore for the rest of the day, and for a couple days afterwards. The first day I wore an Ace bandage.

My wrists are NOT weak at all. I punch stuff on a regular basis (MA) and wrist strength is an important factor in not getting hurt.

I believe the pistol, with ammo, weighs in at around three pounds.

I did drop the pistol when this happened.

Am I the only one this has ever happened to?

Thanks,

Josh <><

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hey Josh,

I am not getting old. I am old, and this has never happened to me. Do what iagbarrb said. "Visit a doctor".

Bert

G

·
As you get older your body becomes more brittle and prone to injury. There isn't much a doc can do, except look at it and charge you $60. It just has to heal.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Josh, what holster, etc. were you practicing your draw from? Quick draw from a pocket or IWB could cause your wrist to be bent during draw causing stress. A lot of quick draw artists use a cross draw from a holster on the hip. Give us a little more detail what happened. It may help us avoid the same problem.
og

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Josh, what holster, etc. were you practicing your draw from? Quick draw from a pocket or IWB could cause your wrist to be bent during draw causing stress. A lot of quick draw artists use a cross draw from a holster on the hip. Give us a little more detail what happened. It may help us avoid the same problem.
og
Hi OG,

Desantis scabbard, OWB, thumb strap, Taurus 92.

In martial arts it's very important to be loose. I carry that over to firearms, especially the draw. I would be slower than mollasses in January if I weren't loose.

I swept back my cover garment forcefully, my hand landed on the pistol's handle, my thumb broke the strap and landed on the pistol's safety (done to make sure it is off) and when I went to whip it out of the holster (I do use a controlled whipping motion for speed) I cranked my wrist as it cleared leather. The pistol dropped on the bed (I always practice over a soft surface) and I stood there with a dumbfounded look on my face before I elevated and braced it to get to a bag of frozen broccoli. I had to have it for dinner. I like it with cheese or raw with dip, but I'm overall not too fond of veggies, which only added to the pain. ::)

Thanks,

Josh <><

·
Registered
192 Posts
Joshua,
I'm inclined to believe that forcefully sweeping back your cover garment in one direction, then forcefully drawing your weapon and thrusting it forward is the culprit. I have done the same thing before with a weapon.

I also do it quite frequently "drawing" my flashlight out of its holster at work, worn where a gun & holster would be. The leather holster has my belt threaded through it and holds the flashlight with the head up. The switch is positioned forward. When I draw it with my right hand, the flashlight then goes through 270 degress of rearward rotation, flicking the switch on with my thumb. Doing this several times in an evening, especially doing it quickly, often does result in a strain.

I have recently gotten an LED headlight that I use as well, and don't need the flashlight as much, especially for certain jobs. I do inspecting work and need lights alot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts