15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never owned a revolver. I have shot a 686 ,a GP 100,
a Rossi Snubby & a Bearcat.

I'm just an Auto guy at heart. Although I would like to ad
a wheelgun to the safe.

I found a model 19-2 in excellent condition. It is a 4" and
has adj sights. Square Butt frame.

What is the difference between a -2, -3, etc......?

Thanks in advance,

J

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello,

The dash followed by a number indicates a production change in the revolver, i.e. many early Model 19's were equipped with a "pinned" barrel and the production change indicates when that feature is "dropped" for a model.

If you decide to buy it, please feel free to PM me and I will give you the year of production and changes from my copy of the "Standard Catalog of S&W".

Chris

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chris.

It is just about a done deal. I have it on hold and will
put it on lay away this coming weekend. I will get the
SN this Sat when I work again.

Take care,

J

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Hello J,
As Chris says, the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson shows the 19-2 would probably have been made between 1961 and 1967. The -2 design change was to delete the trigger guard screw, and to change the cylinder stop. A desirable gun from a S&W collector standpoint, if it's in great condition. If you can get the original box and/or any paperwork, that's a bonus.
Although I'm a die-hard Hi Power fan, the 19 is my all-time favorite .357. I have a 4" and two 2 1/2". I bet you're gonna get addicted to wheelies. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Hoot.

Not sure about the addiction though.

They load too slow for me. ;-)

The gun is in real good shape, the lock up is still
very tight. It is Satin Stainless.

The previous owner put on a trigger shoe and some
funky grips. Other than that it looks pretty nice.

Any after market grip recomendations ?

J

·
Registered
148 Posts
you'll probably never need to reload a handgun in a fight, if it's a m19 it's not stainless that's a m66 (maybe nickel?), and if you go to handloads.com they list the dash number codes.

m19s before -4 have had some issues with 125gr ammo. if you're not shooting a bunch of the full velocity magnums with a short overall length you won't have those problems.

K-frame magnums are good to go, but if your going to shoot a ton of full magnums L or N frame guns hold up a little better.

all Smiths hold their value but collector interest in m19's is limited around here.

·
Regulator,
2,353 Posts
+1 on the 19's being a little frail with large doses of magnum ammo. I bought my 19-2 new in '65 and carried it as a service revolver for a lot of years, as did most of my friends. They were a wonderful gun, one of my all time favorites, but shooting a lot of hot magnums in them cracks forcing cones. As for grips, I preferred factory target grips or Herrett's wood grips. Rubber is probably kinder to your hands but I could never get a set that fit my hand. Here's a couple of pictures of mine.

These guns were set up for the PPC course of that era, which had some 50 and 60 yard single action shooting involved, so this gun came with a standard trigger, but had the wide "whale's tail" hammer spur. The front sight blade is the only thing that isn't original. The 6" M19 had a square blade that hung up on the draw from the "suicide bucket" holsters we had to use, so most of us had it replaced with the front sight blade from the 4" model, which had a nice angle on it. The yellow plastic insert was added in '72. The grips were sanded out to accomodate the speed loader.

Hope this helps.

JayPee
PS - My wife adopted it as "Maggie" and I now only have visitation rights!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Jmalanoski,

I have a true fondness for the 4" K frame m19/m66, and carried one of both for several years on and off duty.

As far as a steady diet of hot loads, any K frame will start to show some wear after a good bit of hot loads. Back when K frames were the favored police handgun, most departments issued intially fairly mild loads for duty and then later moved to hot loads. But for several decades they would hand the officer a target level round to qualify with.

It was only in later years, when for liability reasons, most departments/agencies began to issue hotter loads and require that same round to be fired for qualifications, that an ammo issue developed. With contant, continuous usage, over time, the K frames began to show some wear.

That was one of the main reasons, based on what a couple of the Smith armorers told me, that Smith introduced the L frame revolver line (686 is an example). It has the same grip frame as the K, so officers using their own grips on issued K frames could simply swap them over to the L frame without having to buy a new set.

Smith designed the L frame to be stout enough that it could handle a steady diet of hot loads while avoiding many of the issues a K frame would possibly develop.

That is not to imply that if you shoot 100, 500 or XXXX number of hot loads through your K frame that you are going to damage or ruin it. The key phrase here to me is "steady diet". Even then it takes a decent round count before I think most folks could expect to start seeing any issues.

At one point my agency issued 5 shot J frame Smith revolvers as our back up weapon, to go along with a semi pistol. Some of the ones I had in my office were made before I was, and I am in my mid 50s+, lol. I issued a 38spc +P JHP for both practice, quals and carry - one hot .38spc load, selected by our firearms unit. Since they issued the weapons, they were aware of the age and round count some of these J frames had.

I can not recall a single problem that was ammo related with any of these J frames, most of which were NOT rated for +P ammo (there was no such creature as a +P load when many of mine were made). I had some give up the ghost because the parts simply wore out from usage, and the firearms unit had no replacement parts to give me. Instead they would ship me a replacement revolver for the broken one - a new model 60 chambered in .357mag. Not a bad trade out to me at all.

So yes sir, if you shot a ton of nothing but hot magnums through you K frame Smith, eventually it would begin to show some wear. It was simply not designed to handle a steady, long term diet of magnum loads. When it was developed that was not what most cops were using. But times changed based on civil suits alleging poor firearms training by several departments. Folks saw the handwriting on the wall, and began to train with their issued duty load.

It has been awhile since I have been around a lot of K frames on a range to be honest. But I can not recall ever handling one that had been damaged from too many magnum loads. But that being said, I know it can and does happen - at some unknown number of magnum loads.

If it makes you feel any better sir, I will not say I never fired a wadcutter through my m19 4", as I did shoot a few, just to help break in the handgun when I got it. But I can say I never shot one through my m66. I loaded a 140gr JHP practice load that closely equated to the Speer 140gr .357mag duty round I carried. I can tell you that I shot thousands of rounds of JHP magnums, through both weapons without any issues. But I can not give you an exact round count, as we are talking too many years in the past now for that.

Hope this helps a little anyway.

twoguns

P.S. As far as aftermarket accessories, there really are not many things you can add to a nice K frame Smith. Some speedloaders and speed strips, possibly a dfiferent set of grips, and a good holster.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies fellas.

This will be a range gun. So no real hot 357 loads.

Maybe some std stuff to see how it works, but mostly
it will be 38's @ the range.

JayPee I like those grips. That's kinda what I'm leaning
towards. Also saw some slim Pachmyrs that looked good
too.

As soon as it is in my posession I will get you'all some pics.

Take care,

J

·
Regulator,
2,353 Posts
Thanks for the compliment. The grips are the older factory target grips that had to have the left panel relieved by the gunowner to accomodate speed loaders. The more recent grips have the left grip panel milled out by the factory for the same purpose, so you won't have to worry with this. The finish is a Tru-Oil job from 1972. I would love to see your photos.

JayPee

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
A good condition Model 19 low dash number in 4" is definitely a gun to cherish. You don't find that quality of manufacture and adjustement in latter guns.

That's a treasure you'll learn to appreciate the longer you shoot it.

Bye.

L.

·
Registered
399 Posts
The difference between the -2 & -3 is relocation of the rear sight leaf screw. I have the 19-4 and it will be passed on to one of my children. The Combat Magnum 4" barrel is one of the most well balanced revolvers ever made in my book. Sure makes me look good at the range.

Best,Baldy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts