Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am sure this topic has been beat to death but wanted to pass on some reminders about using off hand shooting after a recent shooting our department had. I hope these posts don't get to redundant for anybody but they sure made me think about my training and thought someone else might get some useful information out of it. This incident happended in Dec. '05. It was about 3am and the plain clothes officer was watching some guys get ready to burglarize a motor vehicle. His partner was observing the incident from another location about a block away. The first officer was approached from behind by another individual who was not involved in the BMV and attempted the rob the plain clothes officer at gunpoint. The officer was standing away from his car and told the robber that he would comply but that his wallet was in the car. The robber spotted the officers badge sitting on the seat and opened fire. The officer was hit in the foot, leg, side,(glancing), and 1 right up his forearm of his gun hand, rendering that hand useless. The robber was using a .45 acp, unknown bullet make and style. Even thought he was hit 4 times, the officer managed to get his gun out with his offhand and get some shots cranked off at the robber who was fleeing towards a car but still shooting back. The officer did not hit the robber but blew out the back window of the car. The officer was able to get on the radio and luckily the robber and a driver accomplice were caught a few blocks away as the wrecked out. The officer does have some long term damage but will hopefully recover with rehab. There are several parts of my training I need to work on and have been ignoring. I need to work on offhand shooting much more. I need to do some training on one hand or offhand reloading, weapon malfunction drills, etc. I know we have all heard stories like this many times but at this same time period, we also had an officer shot and killed and a neighboring city had an officer shot and killed so if you were like me and your training was a little lax in 2005, make an effort to do a little more in 2006. Good training to all. pistolpete

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. Good post and I appreciate your taking the time to put it here. Speaking for myself only, I do note that I usually do that which I like and am better at rather than working on the areas needing it. To try and keep myself at least adequate, I do practice one-handed shooting using strong and weak hands as well as the usual two-hand hold. Something else I suggest is pure old target shooting in addition to the quick and dirty stuff.

If interested, this link goes along with the theme of this thread:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Good%20Target%20or%20Combat%20Shot.htm

Best.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi pistolpete,

When I qualified for my CWP here in S.C., we were required to shoot strong/weak had for our scores. Your post is an excellent reminder to make that part of our practice regieme.

Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you practice shooting with your off hand, or weak hand as we call it around here, remember to also practice with your "weak" eye. I am right handed and right eye dominate so I practice shooting with just my left hand using my left eye to aim. This may take some getting used to but it is well worth it. I am almost as good that way as my normal way. Practice hard and stay safe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts