Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few miles NORTH and somewhat WEST of where I live, there is an animal refuge that includes tigers among its residents. Couple years ago one got out (allegedly someone force open its cage) and ended up at an intersection just SOUTH and EAST of where I live, and only a mile or two away. Since directly east of my ranchette is more heavily populated city, and west of me is county brush sparsely (so far) populated, I suspect he made kind of a south then east J-hook around the neighborhood, altho he could of just as easily walked thru the back yard. I think he took the J-hook route since none of my horses got eaten that day.

Of course, no one notified our neighborhood of this, we found out by reading the paper the next day. A few hours after it got out, the cops cornered it at the aforesaid intersection, and the lady that runs the refuge tried to shoot it with a tranquilizer. It charged, knocked her down, broke her hip or pelvis, and got away. The cops cornered it again a couple hours later, not too far away, and killed it.

Paper didn't say what they used, but based on the ammo purchase documentation for the San Antonio Police Department (I think they were the ones that got it, rather than the county sheriff's people), they have their choice of 12 ga 000 buck, 1 oz slug, 55 gr Remington .223 softpoint, Sierra 168 gr .308 Win, or 155 gr Speer Gold Dot HP.40 S&W.

I'm thinking they went with the .308, but maybe it was a combo. "Hey boys, there he is, git'im!!" BlamBlamBlamBlaBlaBlamBlaBlaBlaBlamBlam BlaBlaBlam!
Whoops, no trophy this time.

I often feed the horses after dark, so it is entertaining to contemplate, as I wander out with my trusty .357, to wonder if those two little glowing eyes off in the distance are the neighbor's kitty or the animal refuge's kitty. And whether I should instead be packing my 12 ga with slugs (which I am familiar with) or my M-1A (which I still need to get familiar with).

Bengal and Siberian male tigers run 400-675 pound. Any tiger hunters out there?

elb

G

·
Bengal and Siberian male tigers run 400-675 pound. Any tiger hunters out there?
I don't think my little Colt .38 is up to that challenge..and it's the one that I carry the most..I don't think my Sig 229 in .40 is up to that challenge either..or my Gold Cup .45

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
My personal choice would be a .375H&H, only because I currently don't have anything bigger.

Regards,

Pat

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
The 12 gauge is going to be your best bet, I think, until you get familiar with the rifle.

I'm going to move this to General.

Josh <><

·
Registered
430 Posts
I think I would opt for the 12 gauge with slugs. Although a any large caliber magnum(thinkin' .44 or bigger) with FULL magnum loads might do it...although I wouldn't be comfortable carrying anything under a .44 magnum in that case, perhaps even opt for .454 Casull or .500 S&W magnum.

Considering that full house .357 and .45 ACP loads can fail to put down 200-250lb men, I would have my doubts about them putting down a 675lb Tiger. I would personally prefer carrying a very powerful large game rifle though.

-Rob

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm, forgot to specify I was really wondering how big a REVOLVER I would need, since carrying a longarm is a nuisance when carrying feed and hay. I guess slinging it across my back would work. Of course a revolver big enough (S&W 500? Casull handcannon?) to do the job would probably be as big a problem as a longarm and need one of those across the shoulder hunting holters.

Good news is, no tigers last night!

elb

elb

G

·
We've had two similar incidences of lions and tigers here in Ark. We've also had a somewhat mysterious death attributed to what we don't know. Ark game and fish is of no help whatsoever. Trouble is, it's against the law to carry firearms in the natl. forest that covers 1/4 of the state. A large caliber pistol that can be put into the ol backpack is about all you can do, at least in my neck of the woods.

G

·
We've also had a somewhat mysterious death attributed to what we don't know. Ark game and fish is of no help whatsoever.

Cougar? The DNR in Michigan and Ohio are similarly no help, but these cats have been spotted in Northwestern Ohio, and are known to be in Michigan up near Sleeping Bear Dunes. They'll go 80-200 pounds, and have been known to eat bicyclists judging from a few incidents in California. I ride a bike in some pretty isolated places in NW Ohio, and have a CCW. I've been assuming that my 38 spl with plus P's would be adequate if I run across one of these with lunch in mind... Any opinions would be helpful. Sorry for the slight change in topic, but it seems relevant.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Very funny thread.... we had tigers in Nam, at time LOTS of them...if a tiger has you lined up for lunch...you will be lunch...best use for the side arm, is on yourself. Sometime watch a domestic cat move and hunt....now add a few hunded pounds, or more, of muscle, teeth and real sharp claws.... thats can see in total dark, like you do at noon....that can hear anything, and move without making a sound...and is wild....and hunts every moment of its life....now tell me again...your going to do what ? If your in big cat country.. a dog or dogs MIGHT help... or just be the appetizer. Don't consider yourself a hunter, till.... what your hunting can hunt you back.

G

·
I just read something in an outdoore magazine about reasonable dangers. It was written by an young man who rated the odds of injury while recreating in the wild. He made the point you and I have a greater chance of getting struck by lightning than falling off mts or drowning, ect... He's right of course. I'm aware that wild animal attack is extremely rare. Having said that bear and mt lions do, occationaly, attack folks. The idea of carrying a large caliber handgun on my jaunts in the ozarks is suppose is just peace of mind. At this point I think I am probably going to compromise and just get a 44 or 45 colt, or colt clone. If I do actually run across someones pet asian tiger, or african lion they set loose because it became too large for the family den, I suppose I could take PAXs advice and just use it on myself.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
One technique no one has mentioned is always hike with someone else, and carry an accurate .22LR.

You only have to outrun the other person.

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
169 Posts
I remember reading a "This Happened To Me" story in Outdoor Life Magazine years ago, (I was kid, and it was during the Viet Nam war) about an American GI who was attacked by a tiger. I believe he was walking "tail-end Charlie" when the tiger grabbed him. His buddies heard his screams and came back and ran the tiger off. I don't remember how badly he was hurt, but I'll bet he doesn't have any pet cats.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Whatever revolver you decide on, be sure to file the front sight off so that when the tiger shoves it up your.......... :-*

Sam

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
elb,

Save your money on a new rifle/shotgun/handgun. If the large "kitty" decides you are on the menu you're not going to know it anyway. In most cases you'll have set the weapon down to feed the critters, anyway.

Still, it IS a good reason to get another firearm!

Luckily, my bride says a man can't have too many of them! No, she doesn't have a sister.

Wes

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes to all of the above but I think the new Ruger Alaskan would be a good thing to carry on your hip while doing chores. And keep a dog around too...they can sense things we can't and might give you a heads up if your being stalked. Might give you enough time to get to safety.

On a related note, I remember reading or hearing (a long time ago) about a rogue polar bear being shot and killed with a .38 special. Must be the all-time luckiest shot...a real Depends moment.

G

·
This story reminds me of last year when a Lion was roaming the Columbus (Ohio) area. I remember driving through Gahanna and seeing a Deputy with an A1 M16 standing at the side of the road staring into the trees not looking too eager to do his job! The Lion had escaped from the zoo, and if I recall correctly, was never found. And for about 2 weeks, everyone at the range was discussing what rifle they brought with them incase they saw it! You would think there was a huge safari organised with all the hunting rifles!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts