Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Please tell us your feelings (good or bad) regarding Night Sights.

Thanks For Your Votes & Replies,
Bob

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Like 'em, but have only paid to have one set installed. All the rest of tham came installed.

One gripe I have is that usually the notch is too narrow in the rear sight, and not really wnough meat to file away to make it better.

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I like them, and have them on my carry guns. As a matter of fact, I currently replacing an old set of 3 dots with bar. Despite reaching their life expectancy they are still strong enough to easily use. It's just time.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

The only handgun I have them on is my Glock 23 and the rest I do not have them installed. I can take them or leave them.

Chris

G

·
I like them. I do have occasion when I have to go into dark situations with my gun drawn and it really impressed me how those sights come alive. I could do without but would sure rather have them than not.

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Gents,

Night sights have evolved. The old three dot variety didn't work well for me. The newer Bar-Dot patterns are much better.
I have several sets that came on my second hand pistols. They seem OK, but I don't like the extra time to "line up" the sights. Much prefer using a subliminal sight picture and good technique.
I carry a Surefire 6P, but could live without it.

Lately, I'm working on my a 1911 with a gold dot front sight. Seems to work well if there is any ambient light. Jury still out on that one. Cool factor is up there...

Don't ake me about lasers, PTUII! Take it to another thread!

Just my take

Wes

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I prefer having them, but I can live without them. I really like to have them on my nightstand gun (alongside my Surefire).

·
Registered
25 Posts
I like them alot, these old eyes can pick them up better.
I wear bifocals, and the focal point is not great for shooting without some help.
Mikehp

G

·
Had them removed from my pistols that had them. Buy new guns without them. Am switching to fiber optic sights whenever possible.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello & Thanks for all the replies,

I flat don't like night sights... sights shouldn't have a "shelf life" and the only way that I "might" buy a 1911 or BHP already equiped with them is if they were fitted to the Factory Dovetails & Tennon Cut, but if the slide had been machined to specifically accept them, forget it.

Thanks Again,
Bob

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'm a "take 'em or leave 'em" kinda a guy I suppose. I don't actually own a gun with night sights, but I'm planning on outfitting my 1911 with XS Big-Dot Tritiums. They make sense to me for the most part. However, I always carry a Surefire flashlight, so it's not as though they're absolutely necessary.

-Rob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts