Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought it to go with the device on the front, which was approved for delivery to me yesterday, only 36 days after mailing off the application and $200 fee.

I don't need hearing protectors.

Anybody have one of the Walthers? I'd fired a couple of them and thought they were just great, but tricked out like this it's probably the most fun I've had all month.

G

·
A friend of mine has one, nice little gun and it shoots well but has been known to not go bang sometimes when the trigger is pulled, firing pin doesn't even hit the case? Next pull of the trigger it fires fine? Cleaning it doesn't help. But even if it was perfect it's a little too dainty for me. I'd like to get one of those "mufflers" for my Ruger MKII but it's not worth $200 to me.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, Cuda, I don't like the dainty part either, but it was just so CUTE and small.

My Mark II is being cut for the can and will be ready next week; then I'll have something really accurate AND quiet.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have one, and there are a few things to look out for. You should head over to Rimfirecentral and check out the Walther forum.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48

The main thing to look out for is the slide will grind away every time you use the slide release. The slide is made of zinc, and it's soft. So, you can either pull back the slide and let the release drop out of the way, or remove it to prevent the inevitable. There are a couple of "stove bolts" on the inside that like to work loose, an older hammer design that hings up more than new ones, two different styles of magazines (I've got one of each) and other things to be advised about.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, this is getting ridiculous. I got the Walther laser sight day before yesterday, which is even more fun, if possible.

A friend of mine came by to pick up a J frame he bought from me, and after shooting one mag through the Walther I think he called the Class III dealer...

G

·
Leland, my brother-in-law and I both have Walther P-22's and love them. Just check the barrel from time to time to make sure it does not unscrew itself. I was at the range and after shooting several rounds got the feeling that something was not quite right. I checked the Walther over and found that the barrel was loose. A quick tightening job with the barrel wrench supplied with the gun solved the problem. Other than that they are a joy to have and shoot, even without all the goodies you have for yours!
Steve

G

·
Mine works great and I love it. Does anyone know about making the slots in the long bbl. version functional with some process like magna-port?

G

·
Still kicking my own butt for selling my limited edition model, pre-S&w :-[. What a great fun gun. Can't imagine what it would have been like with the CIII toys.

G

·
I have three of these and they work quite well. Though I know others have had less than stellar luck with these little guns. Some things are hit and miss. I have a pair of Walther PP pistols in .22lr as well. One works great the other has extraction issues. Anyways with the Walther P22 I use the Remington Golden bullet I buy in bulk at Wallyworld and functioning is excellent. The three I have are all different. I have the one with the dummy compensator, the regular model and then one with a threaded barrel. I got that from a chap who was not happy it would not function with the suppressor he already had(legally) for another pistol. I have given some thought to applying to get one of the Gemtech Outback suppressors for it. I understand those work quite well. I just have not decided yet.

G

·
I bought a Walther P22 for my wife as her first gun. She thought it looked cool and I liked the features on it. We took it to the range once, using the rounds recommended in the book and fired it. First off, Ulu couldn't pull the trigger without hitting the slide release and dropping the mag. I tried and had the same problem, but we got used to it. Unfortunately it took a while to adjust as the stupid thing jammed ever four or six rounds. We had at least three jams, stovepipes, or FIFs with each magazine. But the worst part was the little spring pin under the slide started to protrude from the left, blocking the switch so you couldn't safety the weapon! Needless to say that major of a malfunction was unnacceptable after only 90 some odd rounds, and it went back to the dealer. It got replaced by a Ruger MKII 22/45 with the bull barell. That gun has been mistreated in every way possible and is still a tack driver. I understand that a lot of people like them, but I say bollocks to the Walthers.

G

·
I have one with both barrels. It likes hot ammo with the short barrel and anything with the long one. I do not like the looks, balance, or the tendency to loosen the bolts with the long barrel, and am considering selling the long barrel part of the setup. The only problem I have had with the short barrel is the above mentioned internal stove bolt shooting loose after a while.

The gun is getting better about shooting cheap ammo as it breaks in. I have maybe 1000 to 1200 rounds through it. It is really cute, and I often use it to start new shooters. My three magazines are all the later type and are trouble free. I understand that Walther will replace the old style mags free.

I would not recommend this gun for a first gun, and for reliability at a reasonable price nothing I know of can compete with Ruger, but the P-22 is a fun little gun.

A while back on eBay I saw an aftermarket conversion to one of the .17 rimfire rounds (the weaker one, I trust). Looked interesting. CB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts