Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Well, last week I made the mistake of stopping in to a gun store near Gil's while on the way over to his house. They had lots of the usual stuff, but nothing too exciting. But way in the back of the furthest case, there was a Beretta 87 BB.

Neat. I remember when they came out in the mid-'80s - back then I never could see why anyone would want a .22 that was slightly larger than a Walther PP, particularly when Beretta made .380s that were the same size. They sold pretty well for us at the gun store where I worked for a couple of years - I still never got it. Why buy a .22 that cost so much and was just a plinker?

Anyway, something had changed in my head by the time I saw the gun last week. Wow, did it look nice to me. Turns out it was a NIB gun bought by a collector back in '89 (that's "AU" for you Beretta proof code collectors), and kept in a safe ever since (can you believe people actually do this? I know they do - I used to sell to them - but it just seems nuts! Shoot that gun!). The walnut stocks called to me, the bluing gleamed. I held it for a moment and - ah! - it just felt made for my hand. The store was closing for the evening, though, so I handed it back and went over to Gil's.

I couldn't get the thing out of my head all week. I had Gil run in and check on it. I did online research and confirmed that it was actually priced pretty cheap for one of these guns (discontinued since '00). And, hey, I've got my 40th birthday coming up in about a week - I talked it over with my wife, and she told me to go for it.

So, I brought it home.

I plan on taking it to the range later today, but I wanted to show off some photos that I took of it this morning. (Before anyone asks, those are figs from the fig tree that came from the back yard of my great-grandfather's house in Italy - he took a cutting with him to America, and I've got one of the cuttings from it.)

And, no, I won't be carrying it cocked and locked. ;)

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I doubt it shoots that well, but it sure is fun.

Okay, I spent three hours at the range - very nice. I was not able to make a one-hole full-mag group, though I came close several times with various ammos. Probably me - the gun certainly groups under 1" at 10 yards, whether DA or SA. The DA is amazingly easy to use (I've been using too many plastic guns lately, and forgot what a real trigger feels like on a semiauto ;) ) and can produce groups just as good as the SA. Off-hand shooting did not produce any close-to-one-holers, but the 8-round mags grouped consistently in small groups less than 1" in diameter total.

Here are some chrono results from the 3.8" barrel:

CCI Blazer 40 gr. Mean 1012 fps/extreme spread 25.4 fps/standard deviation 11.95 fps
CCI Velocitor 40 gr. M 1071/ES 70.17/SD 29.41
PMC Match Pistol 40 gr. M 844.3/ES 42.89/SD 17.63
Aguila SE Subsonic 40 gr. M 870.6/ES 45.79/SD 20.49
Aguila SSS 60 gr. M 697.1/ES 56.01/SD 22.97
Fed Premium Target 40 gr. M 943.4/ES 16.17/SD 6.00 (!)

Wow, what a lot of fun that gun is to shoot. I only put a couple hundred rounds through it today, but I foresee a lot more coming down the pike! :)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Very neat! I always liked those. It just seemed like a good size- big enough to shoot easily enough, but not as big as the usual target/plinking .22s. I wish they held a couple more rounds, but that's OK.

I never have had one, but had the similar Beretta 85F, and thought it was a pretty good gun.

I've noticed that the 87 makes a nifty suppressed gun also...

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there Erich,

Man! That is one nice looking Beretta and is a "class act".

I have alway's liked the Beretta M-87, but the closest thing that I have owned to it is the M-70. There is a lot to be said for full size .22 handguns that make them imminently more "shootable".

Thank you for sharing the beautiful pictures and range report with us.

Chris

·
Registered
180 Posts
The Cheetah is a superb .22! Accurate and the fit and finish is excellent. Despite some of the nastiness of .22 ammo, I haven't had ANY problems with feeding/firing/ejecting any brand of .22.

Pricey, but worth it - I sure think I got my money's worth!

Its fun to shoot the Aquila SuperMax (ie Aquila's answer to the Stinger round - supposedly rate for 1700fps+, likley well below that in the short bbl). Makes a loud noise and you get a nice orange ball

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
NEVER wash your M92 in hot water. It shrinks!

Really cute, Erich, and I expect it's going to be a heck of a lot of fun shooting it.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like this thing so much that I keep wanting to carry it (so far I've resisted ;) ).

Thanks for all the nice words, folks. I wish you could all come over and try it out. :)

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's from just down the road from you, eh? Must be nice! ;)

I do like a Barolo . . . I'm looking forward to a bottle on Monday, when I turn 40.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ran some more ammo types through it today. 77 degrees at the range.

Federal Champion 36 gr HP: M 1017, ES 40.99, SD 15.03
Interestingly, the Federal Champions - I just bought over 1500 of them - didn't work the action of the 87 reliably.
Remington Thunderbolt 40gr solid: M 942.7, ES 105.8, SD 38.91
J - U - N - K . . . this stuff gave an ES of 255.2 fps from my 4 1/8" chopped K-22!

Federal Velocitor 40 gr HP (new packaging): M 1051, ES 75.42, SD 29.46
I think this stuff is probably pretty much the same forumulation as the old packaging Velocitor - though it proved slower in both the 87 and the K-22.
CCI Stinger 32 gr HP: M 1222.5, ES 33, SD 13.43
Federal Gameshok 40 gr solid: 963.7, ES 16.53, SD 6.85

It was fun plinking old vitamin bottles at a bit beyond 25 yards. :)

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some more velocities (dug into the old ammo box . . . ;) ):

CCI MiniMag +V 36 gr. HP M 937.2 fps/ES 120.8/SD 45.09
CCI MiniMag+V 40 gr solid M 1000 fps/ES 46.12/SD 18.92
MPB (old version) Quik-Shok M 1058 fps/ES 40.52/SD 18.27
CCI (new version) Quik-Shok M 1184 fps/ES 45.95/SD 19.74

Fun little gun.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yet more velocities:

PMC Zapper 40 gr solid (orange box) M 962.0/ES 32.46/SD 15.32
PMC Zapper (red box) M 917.0/ES 55.35/SD 20.51 (2 failures to fire - fired on second strike)
CCI Blazer 40 gr solid M 975.1/ES 95.01
/SD 41.27

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there Erich,

I see you've found my round:

CCI Blazer 40 gr solid M 975.1/ES 95.01 /SD 41.27
They don't need to be anything extra ordinary or a fancy box to have that performance.

I enjoy shooting it in my .22's. ;)

Chris

1 - 17 of 17 Posts