Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after Katrina and all the armchair quaterbacking I've been reading here on the gun discussion boards, looks like the rubber will soon hit the road.

Just an hour ago a new Tropical storm formed that has a path taking it between the Florida Keys into the Gulf heading for Texas. Of course, things happen quickly and the path may eventually be different. But once it hits the 90 deg waters of the Gulf things could get REAL ugly before it hits the Texas coast (around Brownsville they are thinking).

Since Katrina, I've revised my "emergency" gun thinking. Before it was a couple of revolvers - my 686+ and SP 101 - things that go BANG everytime.
Now I'm thinking it will be my Glock 19 (with 3 standard caps) with the 686 as the New York reload.

Haven't got a shotgun, but hey - this is Texas. Be easy enough to pick one up on my way out of Galveston

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Werewolf,

I spent last week here on the coast of SC during Ophelia and it crossed my mine to have some favorites handy. However, it didn't reach the same level as Katrina and was more like a very long rain storm here.

Glock 23 with extra mags and a Mossberg 500 12 gauge are always ready with the Ruger Mini 14 available.

I hope that no one has to go through another Hurricane!

Katrina, Ophelia, or Rita!

Chris

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have lived in eastern NC for many years, and been through a lot of hurricanes. I used to tuck my Marlin 1894 with some extra ammo into the trunk, to have along with my CCW piece. Having seen what happened with Katrina, I changed my mind when Ophelia rolled up the coast and put the M4-style AR in the trunk, with a bunch of loaded mags. We are glad Ophelia was no worse than it was. My concern is that, as with many crimes, there will be copy-cat looters after other storms, having seen what people did after Katrina, and it won't take that big a storm to bring it out in them. Just the nature of copy-cattism it seems.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I went through Katrina, and today I finally took the M4 out of the truck and brought it back into the house.

The city of Hattiesburg (pop 50,000), which is 20 miles north of me and 100 miles from New Orleans, had a good bit of looting, and some people worried that it would spread down here. There was one homicide over a bag of ice and one carjacking that led to murder in the immediate aftermath of the storm, but of course the level of violence didn't approach that in New Orleans.

But we still worried, as we are fairly isolated, and having no phones, no lights, and no gas made us feel even more isolated. Luckily we didn't have that kind of trouble.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, its pretty official - Rita looks to bullseye on or about Galveston Sat morning. Immediately after work I went north, grabbed a hotel room around the airport 60 miles inland (well away from the city proper). It was one of the last ones in the area.

I'll be pulling out of Galveston Tues night - hopefully I'll have something to go back to.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well, as "Raging Rita" heads toward the Texas-Louisiana coast, I am concerned for the people affected. I have been expressing that concern in the appropriate manner and will continue to do so (don't want to get banned from this board) so I will leave it at that.

To all who are affected, may your guns work and your powder stay dry. I hope you don't have to use them.

Take care.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts