Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there all,

First off, I began my feeling the symtoms of "SIGitis" last summer while out of the country and began my search for a fair deal on SIG handguns.

After doing a little research, I discovered that my local gun dealer was a authorized SIG Master Distributor and could acquire SIG's with a significant savings.

With the recent disposal of two handguns in my collection of many, my dealer asked me very slyly "how did I want to share the disbursement of my earnings, i.e. buy another handgun or two?"

Without hesitation and with the numerous reports that Mr. Camp has written on the SIG DAK series of pistols he acquired and reported about, I said, "order me up a SIG P-226 CPO".

After a lengthly week and a half wait, the pistol arrived today while I was at the indoor range practicing my point shooting with my diminuative S&W 642. When my name was called, I walked excitely to the counter. From the overnight box, the salesperson pulled the red cased pistol.

When I opened the box and removed the plastic shipping wrapper I was suprised with pistol that appeared Brand New and not wearing a mark of someone else's use.

First, I didn't expect the pistol to have the newer frame style with rail. I honestly thought it would be one of the older style alloy frame pistols. Nice feature I thought and wondered if the pistol had been rebuilt on a new frame.

Secondly, the SIG had the tell tale wrap around the grip CPO sticker. During my early research, I learned that SIG offered their Certified Preowned Pistols in different grades from there factory in Exeter, N.H. I was unable to ascertain what the grades actually were and still at this writing do not know.

Here are the specs on the pistol from the SIGARMS web site:

[i:vowqip0b]Specification

Caliber 9mm, .357 SIG, .40 S&W
Trigger Pull DA/SA 10.0 lbs/4.5 lbs
Overall Length 7.70

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Chris,

You and Twoguns are really determined to bring me into the .357 Sig fold aren't you?
Think I should call foul on this one?
I explained to twoguns that my money is currently going to equip my shop. Tooling is spendy! Dammit!!!
Enjoy your new pistol and let me know how it performs.

Wes

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mr. Chris,

I am truly inpressed not only with your newest "lady" but also with the CPO program. If I understood you correctly, your were able to purchase a pistol that appears very much as being a NIB at a very substantial savings????

(Hint, hint, hint - Mr. Wes (grinning) Sorry I could not resist sir.)

Honestly Mr. Chris if I was able to help you in some small way, I am very happy to have been of some assistance sir. I am very anxious to read your thoughs when you have the chance to dance with her next week. But I am hoping it might be a little sooner too.

But you should take a bow too sir, you were the one that told me about the CPO program. Honestly I had never heard of it before - so you taught this "old dog" a new trick too (tips my hat). I do not recall exactly when Sig began to offer the R models, but from memory only I think it is probably a fairly recent addition. So the fact your CPO is a 226R really makes me smile even more.

I do know that Mec-Gar makes the "Sig" marked magazines for the factory. I purchased a ton of various mags directly from Sig LE sales division on agency letterhead years ago. But once we lost personal weapon for a period of time, that option was no longer legitimate for me to use in my view. So I began buying Mec-Gar magazines. The only difference I have ever found between the two magazines are the markings and the substantially reduced cost of the M-G mags.

I think I mentioned to you before, I am using a 17 rd M-G 226 9mm mag to fire all 3 calibers with no malfunctions to date at all. That mag also allows the mag to hold 13 rounds of 357 Sig or .40 S&W, so a one round gain over the factory marked ones too.

As far as an OWB holster, as you know I have grown very impressed with the Don Hume model H721 recently, especially at its very reasonable price. I have ordered two of them from DH recently - one for my 226R and one for the 229. When I have received them, I will let you know how I think they work for me Mr. Chris.

It really does appear you got a great deal on that one. I am looking forward to your first range report now.

twoguns

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi twoguns and Wes,

Yes, the savings is indeed substantial and I saved roughly 40% off of the MSRP for the same handgun from SIG.

It is indeed a way to get "into" a very high quality pistol at a significant savings.

However, if I were ever forced into a "one gun" proposition, this would probably do any and everything I would want it to do.

Perhaps, my quest for the "quinessential" handgun is coming to a conclusion?

Chris

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mr. Chris,

Well perhaps your quest has come to an end sir. Of course the only suggestion I can offer is to simply keep buying other pistols so you can compare them against it more fully too. I think that is the only way you will know for sure if your quest is over (grinning).

That is a great price. I may have to see if Gary can work his magic with one of those. My brother has really been wanting one, and I would love to surprise him with what would be his first ever Sig too.

twoguns

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi twoguns,

Actually, I've owned about 50 or so handguns to get to this point and it looks like my money was well spent this time on the SIG. I've not starting looking for spare magazines yet, but will concentrate my efforts on leather.

Yesterday, I did go online and purchase the Don Hume 721 OT which will be my first Don Hume Holster based on your recommendations.

http://www.donhume.com/Products/Products....r=30R9 -4+1%2F4

If it works out well than I will order a spare mag carrier and other stuff.

As soon as I can get some time off next week from work, I'll be heading to the range for some preliminary testing and post a range report.

Chris

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mr. Chris,

What can I say sir, except I look forward to your range report.

I will suggest this too you sir. I prefer a very small double mag pouch, that leave more mag exposed in a compact double pouch. To be honest, I have been so impressed with the double pouches that El Paso Saddlery made for me, those are all I have ever used for a double mag pouch for plain clothes and off duty carry. I really think what they offer is very hard to beat.

Just a suggestion for you to consider. They also make a single I am sure, but I have never wanted anything less than a double for my purposes. Their double pouch the way I ask them to make them for me, is nearly as compact as some single pouches I have seen.

I think I have told you, but I am awaiting delivery now on a 721OT for my 226R and my 229. I may be forgetting one I have, but I think these two will be numbers 5 and 6 of that model.

Keep us posted.

twoguns

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi twoguns,

I'll post a comment in the leather section when I have the H721OT in hand and then begin my search for SIG Magazines.

While registering my warranty online with SIG, they did have a "free" knife offer that I took advantage of and I also took the liberty of ordering some items from their company store.

I will post a range report when I have a chance to take the SIG to the range next week. I will also and eventually order the convertible .40 S&W barrel for the SIG as well. I like the fact that all I need to do is order the barrel and not a separate magazine to make the SIG convertible.

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts