Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Here are a couple of pics of the S&W 65-5 (K-frame, stainless, .357 magnum, fixed sights) with a 3" bbl I picked up yesterday for $350.00. (These were taken after me firing it and cleaning it.)

I took it to the range this afternoon, and ran an assortment of ammo through it. Here are the chrono results (5 shots each):

Sellier & Bellot .357 magnum 158-gr JSP
average velocity 1077 fps, extreme spread of 37.47, standard deviation of 13.82.

Remington .38 spl +P 158-gr LSWCHP
avg velocity 842.3 fps, ES 31.49, SD 12.88

Federal .38 spl +P+ 147-gr Hydra-Shok
avg vel 896 fps, ES 25.4, SD 8.67

Winchester .357 145-gr STHP
avg 1175 fps, ES 84.78, SD 32.93

Handload in .38 case (5.1 gr Unique/147-gr Rainier plated DEWC seated flush)
avg vel 967.5 fps, ES 47.83, SD 17.52

Handload in .38 case (6.0 gr Unique/158-gr LSWCHP)
avg 883.3 fps, ES 85.12, SD 39.03

Accuracy with my Rainier/Unique handload was superb - all touching at 10 yds. They were also decently powerful (with only moderate recoil) - I wouldn't feel at all underarmed with these. The S&Bs recoiled so much that I was stunned to see that they actually moved out pretty slowly. The LSWCHP/Unique handload was shockingly light recoiling, but was smokey beyond belief and wildly varied in velocity.

Despite the wide variation in velocity (from a high of 1210 to a low of 1125 . . . with two others at 1189 and the final shot at 1160 fps), I think I'll go along with the crowd and carry the STHP .357s in this short-barrelled revo.

I plan on carrying this revolver IWB at 10:30 (I'm a southpaw). Right now I have an old beater Brauer Bros. suede IWB that I used in the '80s with my Model 13. I plan to get a nice hard IWB, but was bummed to see Don Hume doesn't make the 715 for the K-frames. Any ideas on where to go to get a Summer Special type one made fairly quickly (I don't want to wait 3 months for Sparks, or 3 years for Matt Del Fatti . . . although I love their stuff)? Does HBE do revos, and will they do them reasonably quick?

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. I don't own a Model 65 3" (but am always looking) but do own and enjoy the 3" Model 64. These are really good revolvers in my opinion. My wife's revolver is the Model 65 LS 3" and she's made it quite clear that it is hers!

Best.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the kind words, gents. :) I'm very excited to have this revolver.

Steve, that reminds me: I've got to order a book from you today (Christmas present, don't you know).

Chris, it must be driving you crazy. This 65 is something that I've sort of been patiently searching for for a couple of years - until I had it in my hands, I did not know the level of emotional tension I'd been building up over it.

Like you, I had a similar gun in the past. I don't think I ever felt more comfortable with a sidearm than I did with my old Model 13. Still, I was young and a high-speed/low-drag kinda kid, so I had to carry my way through probably 100 different w

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Erich,

In a word, yes.....

I guess some things in life will come full circle for me as well.

Chris

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, very few folks make IWB concealment holsters for K-frame revolvers any more!

I just ordered a Model 10 IWB from Ted Blocker (Shelley was terribly nice). A fellow on another forum reminded me of them. I'd sort of forgotten about the Blocker rigs (which is a shame - they make great stuff . . . a lot of the DOE SRT academy guys used to use them). Should be here in 4-6 weeks.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Erich,

The reason I like the M-65 so much is that it is the perfect balance of power, size and concealability in a revolver. Plus the stainless steel construction makes it suitable for the environs where I live in hot, humid coastal SC.

I will find one soon enough, it just sometimes takes a little more looking. I did bid on one on Gunbroker.com, but the bidding got just a little bit above ceiling for what I was willing to pay.

There was a local range south of where I live about 30 minutes away. The said they had a used one, i.e. condition unspecified, for about $325.00 OTD. I may call them tomorrow to see if they still have it.

After all, my Birthday will be coming up soon and I am sure my lovely wife will want to get me something, uh nice? (and I have been a good boy!)

Chris

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, Chris . . . $325 sounds like a great deal. I hope it's a good one and it's waiting for you.

Happy BD, too!

·
Registered
679 Posts
A very nice looking revolver at a outstanding price! Good job.

I didn't know you had to fill out so much paperwork in N.M. just to buy a revolver from what your pictures showed...........

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very funny.

That was what I was working on before I decided to take pictures - I wanted to lay the revolver on something that wouldn't scratch it.

Thanks for the grin and the kind words, Wags. :)

G

·
I saw that CDNN had these 65 Lady Smiths priced at $399. I've wanted a 65 for quite some time and felt that the price was fair, so I bought this one:

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Catbird,

That is a very nice 65L at a very nice price!

The used ones around here start at about $495.00 and never stay on the shelves long.

I've heard stories about men wanting a 3" 65 so much that they simply had the Lazer Engraving bead blasted off of the frame and replaced the grips with something "beefier". Regardless it is a really nice revolver.

Fortunately, S&W has recataloged the 3" Model 65 do to its popularity, but at $399.00 versus the MSRP of $584.00 (BNIB), I can live with the lazer engraving.

Chris

G

·
Hello Chris.

If I had a choice of this 65 with the "Lady Smith" engraving or one exactly like it in every way without it, I would opt for the one without. Nevertheless, it doesn't bother me enough to do anything about it. It's my understanding from what I read on the SmithandWessonForum that it's fairly easy for the average person to remove the etching with just some 3-M pads, some metal polish and about 2 hours of time.

In fact, I'm now looking for a good deal on a model 60 "Lady Smith".

If you happen to see one (or a model 649) down @ Dick's Pawn, LMK.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You were lucky to get that one, Catbird. I understand that CDNN sold them out almost before their catalogs were delivered. :)

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Catbird,

The last ladysmith Model 60 I saw for sale lasted less than 24 hrs. before being snatched up by a "knowing" buyer at a local pawnshop where it had purchased previously.

The story as it was relayed to me was, "a husband bought the Ladysmith for his wife as a Christmas Present who in turn didn't like it and returned the revolver in exchange for some jewelry. When the husband discovered what his wife had done, quickly rushed back to the store and re-purchased the Ladysmith for himself."

Chris

G

·
very nice gun, & thanks for the report.

i have one like it, but haven`t fired it in about 10 years.
most of my shooting is with ruger single actions, but wouldn`t part with this little gem...

thanks for sharing yours with us...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Very Very Nice All of them are great . Thanks for
sharing the photos.

Its nice to see what your reading about.

Gil...

G

·
I've got a 3" 65-5 also. When I first bought it I tried everywhere to find a holster, but ended up ordering a FIST leather IWB. I had to wait a couple of months for it. I've got Pachmayr Compac Pro grips on mine. It's one of the classic revolvers.

G

·
Hello folks,

Don't overlook a good old Model 13. You can have it refinished with one of the rust-resistant coatings (mine is Black T), and it will last a lifetime of hard use. Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts