Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up this Taurus M85 .38 spec today to put in my PC desk at my office, I have a small retail store and with the way things are going today, I wanted something near by just in case, I have a CCW but I don't like to carry it at work, I keep my CCW in the safe, so I do carry it when I come and go but at the office I wanted something different. For a older piece its in great condition, picked it up for under $200, I like a SS revolver, no fuss no muss, it takes care of its self.

papabear

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello, sir. One cannot be too safe with the lack of regard for human life so prevalent now when the "I want what I want when I want it and I don't care who gets hurt" syndrome shows up!

Let us know how the little thing shoots.

Best.

·
Registered
392 Posts
in my experience and from what ive witnessed first hand, those older Taurus wheelys like the one youve just bought from the earily '90's seemed to be less problematic than todays batch......

i dont know if this is an accurate fact, but it would seem to be....

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Papabear,

I agree with the others sir, a very nice find. We are looking forward to your range report too when you get the chance.

Enjoy her and practice with her enough she will do her part if needed. Just something to think about for work...an ankle holster. I have become very fond of the Galco ankle holsters, and basically forget I have them on. That way, it would be with you at work, whether you were at your desk or not. A few Bianchi speed strips fully loaded with 6 rounds in both pockets and you would be prepared.

Enjoy her, and we do look forward to your range report.

twoguns

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the thoughtful comments, and the suggestion by twoguns about the ankle holster, to be honest, I tried a ankle holster some time back and didn't like it, however, it could have been the model or type I was trying at the time, but as I remember it was a cheaper one and it was not comfortable. Its like when in my younger days and had to much of a certain drink and the next day was a struggle to get though, I have never had that drink again, same with the ankle holster. I'll look into the Galco rig you suggested, my local dealer does have them in stock.

papabear

G

·
Great looking gun. Taurus make a fine snub nose pistol, although I don't think you will be happy carrying an all steel snubbie in an ankle holster. You will walk with a limp :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well I have the blued version of the Taurus M85 and like it alot. Its rapidly becoming my primary carry...winter or summer - its just that easy to carry.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went out this morning to my cousin's farm and went to the woods and shot my Taurus M85 .38 2" snubbie 5 shot. There was a drizzle and a slight breeze and about 38 degrees. Stepped off 10 paces [approximately 30ft.] put up a 9" paper plate on a old dead tree. Was using Magtech .38 spl 158gr FMC-Flat rounds Magtech is made in Brazil as is the Taurus. First 5 rounds in the plate, probably a 5"-6" group, second group put 4 in the plate for about a 6" group but had a flyer on the edge of the plate, next plate I had all five in the plate but a little bit larger group. I am very happy with the results for a 2" snubbie, that ain't bad for me, it doses exactly what I wanted it to do for a office/truck gun.

My cousin came out to join me and we both shot it, this time at approximately at 50 feet, and I could only hit the paper plate 3 out of 5 shots, my cousin only hit the plate once at of 5, but his second try he nailed it 3 times too as I did my second try, so at 50 feet it looses some of it accuracy, at least it did for us old guys. I was getting wet and cold and took it on to the house and we had some coffee and warmed up and of course bragged how well we did in such bad weather....... ::) Long story, short, I like my Taurus M85 .38 snubbie.

papabear

G

·
I just picked up a Model 85UL "Police" model in titanium. This is my first Taurus and it has the ported barrel, apparently Taurus stopped making them for some reason. I shot it the other day with wad cutters and it was perfect and the recoil was next to nothing. My only complaint is that speed-loaders get jammed with the factory rubber grips.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Papabear,

I am glad to hear you liked the way your new lady did for you sir. I think the J frame sized revolvers are an excellent example of trade-offs. With their reduced size/increased ease of carry/concealment, comes a bit of a trade off in ease of handling/shooting. But that is not to say or imply they are not inherently accurate weapons at all.

When I carried J frames as backup weapons, I shot the often to maintain my proficiency level. I found them to be revolver that wanted to be shot often, to allow me to keep my accuracy high with them. More so for me than with larger framed revolvers.

When I qualified with mine, I normally managed to shoot a possible. To me that speaks highly of the potential accuracy they can provide with practice. Our j frame course required rounds being fired at 25 yards as well, but we simulated firing from a position of cover. At that distance I routinely fired those rounds in single action mode. I also advocated that mode to other shooters, using the philosophy this is your backup and your only ammo may well be what is in the cylinder - so make each round count.

I only offer this as a suggestion for you to consider, if you were not using single action at the farter distances before. What I also suggested to folks since we were firing a timed string at 25 yards, was to maintain their grip on the revolver and use their left (weak) thumb to work the hammer. Most found that a much better solution than shifting their grip to work the hammer then needed to reacquire their firing grip for each round.

I suspect this is a revolver that the more you shoot it, the more impressed you will be with how it shoots for you sir. As you have the time, please continue to share your thoughts with us.

twoguns

P.S. On the Galco ankle holster, they used to only offer one model, and now they have 3. The one I am so please with is their most expensive of the 3, which was their only version at one point. I have used a variety of brands over the years, and have found this version to be the best of all I have tried. I carried a model 60 in the revolver model, and now am using the same version for a semi to carry my Kahr K40. Both are steel handguns. But I do wear boots, and the holster resides in the top of my boot. That may be something to consider too, if the weight of the ankle holster with the steel revolver is hard for you to adjust to.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Twoguns,

Thanks for the suggestion of using the off hand thumb to work the hammer, I'll have to practice that next trip to the range, I can see the advantage of doing that. Actually I have never fired my M36's at that distance [25yrds]. I usually shoot them DA at 10 yrds, but for tighter groups I shoot SA. I'm not a bull's-eye shooter any more, I usually just use cheap old 9" paper plates, for me thas good enough for hits in center mass. I have to agree with you about practice, if I carry it, I shoot it.

papabear

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. Twoguns' tip on cocking the hammer with the off-hand thumb used to be SOP when we were mostly using revolvers in police work. Somehow it, along with accurate DA shooting, seems to have fallen by the wayside.

I fully agree with twoguns' on this and suspect strongly that with practice, you will be surprised at not only tighter groups due to the gun not being essentially repositioned for each shot but quicker cadence for the same reason.

Best.

PS: If you watch some shooting programs on TV, I'll bet you notice when one of the shooters doesn't do this...and it happens frequently.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Thanks for the range report Papa Bear. I was out on the Salton Sea Sat with 40-50 mph winds. I would have liked some of your coffee then. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey papaoso, looks like we have the same tastes in guns, I have a Taurus 82 in 4", which I carry with Remington UMC 125 gr. +P ammo:

She and 2 speedloaders go with me everywhere, just in case.
I leave the Brownings, Colt and Tanfoglio @ home, and use them just for fun in the range.
My Taurus is my protection.
Regards!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rodrigo,

Nice looking model 82, I have good friend that has a 4" M82 and I have shot it, the extra 2" does make a difference for me as far as accuracy. Thanks for sharing.

gib,

Wow, 40-50 MPH winds, now that takes shooting in windy conditions to a new level all together.

papabear

1 - 16 of 16 Posts