Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I found a clean and "nearly new" Model 28 at a good price the other day. I do not think that the service stocks that came on it were original as they were dinged up pretty good. This gun has no holster wear comensurate with the beat up stocks. For now, I stuck a set of the large N-frame target grips on it.

This one has the "N" serial number and the action was not quite as smooth as other N-frames, but was easily cleaned up and improved.

The action on this older Model 28 ("S" prefix in serial number and 4-screw) is as smooth as I've seen on any N-frame S&W.

I paid $300 for this latest Model 28 and consider it money well-spent. The gun shoots and functions just fine...as expected.

I remember when these things were in many police holsters and very easy to find at what would now be considered cheap prices.

If I had a time machine...

Best.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I love my "old" M28. Mine dates back only to the late 70s, but a friend has one marked only as a "Highway Patrolman" from 1955. Nice pair of N frames, Stephen--here's one of mine:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Now if both you guys would each send me yours I would have a pair fo 28's to go with my Pair of 27's.....I'll just sit around here and wait for the UPS truck ::)

Jim H.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
This is enough to make a grown man cry :'(

At least I have an old Python and a 629-1 I picked up the weekend to mollify me...but they dont match :)

Jim H.
One of these days I am going to figure out the picture thing.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Leland, if that's a trigger shoe on an N frame, then you must have some mighty big mitts.
I prefer a wide trigger when shooting single action, and the 6" M28 is almost exclusively a single action gun. I shoot the 4" in DA mode sometimes, but I can't shoot long barrels in DA.

Actually, I could probably shoot my 8 3/8" M29-2 in DA, since the Earth's gravity tends to hold onto that long smokepole pretty well. :)

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Nobody ever said life was fair, Wes.

This one isn't mine, but I have a picture of it. My neighbor and shooting buddy found this Highway Patrolman, a "pre-28" and paid a seriously deflated price for it. It has a factory added yellow insert in the front sight and really nice diamond magna grips. He's been an LEO for over 35 years and likes the old "cop guns" as he called them.

My favorite 4" N frame is the Smith & Wesson Model 520, made especially for the New York State Police back in 1980. After the contract was let and the guns were in production, Albany decided to go with an L frame (the M681), so the 520s ended up on the open market. There were only 3,000 of them made, the only S&W N frame .357 ever with fixed sights.

Grips by Don Collins, grip adapter by Tyler.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Earlier this month I was offered a Model 28-2 four inch with Magna service stocks and a black anodized Tyler T-Grip. This 28 was in at least 90% condition and the private party offering it to me wanted only $200. The owner removed the left hand grip and electro penciled into the frame was his social security number. That is why he only wanted two bills for it.

I don't care for personally marked firearms of any kind, but the ss number was completely hidden by the left hand stock and for $200 I figured that it was a bargain. So now it is mine. I may buff out the electro penciled ss number someday in the future. Then again I may not. I obtained a bill of sale to cover my self in any case.

Roadster

G

·
That really takes me back in time. In 1975 when I started as a new officer my first issued duty gun was 28 4-inch. It had the advantage of being a pretty effective "club" in a pinch. We hated to see them replaced by 66s.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Some really fine looking old guns in this post. I would think that model 28 with a 4" barrel would be about as good as it gets.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts