Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody here seen the new Ruger Super RedHawk Alaskan 454 cal 2.5in barrel snubbie?
Source? Shooting Times gun rag. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I handled one at the SHOT Show. It's a hoss! The one they had on display was the 454 Casull/45 Colt version. It will be interesting to see how the shooters in bear country accept it. From down here in Indian Territory, it makes my hands sore just to think about shooting it.
It's typical Ruger, built like a tank. The quality looks good, and the display model had a smooth (for Ruger) trigger. If you need a short range sledge hammer, I'd check this one out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gents,

Ruger has done it again. Robust guns to be sure, but a 2 1/2" barrel in .454? You gotta be kidding. What kills, the bullet or the muzzle blast.

Wes

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No Sir, No way.. I dont need anything like that. :) I would like to see Mr Camps review of this one. ;) Just Kidding Stephen. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
::) Doesn't anyone want to carry a rifle anymore? It seems to me that even a .30-06 in a lightweight rifle would have better ballistics over longer ranges! A handgun is meant to be a back-up, just in case. 'course I'm one of those practicle type guys!
If that's what you want.......you're a better man than me! PLUS, us older guys need a scope,too.
Bob ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Saw one at the last show here. not sure how the dealer got it, it is going to be a true bear ;) to shoot with the full power stuff IMO, just doesn't look like its handy to carry at all.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm very interested in this revolver. It appears that Ruger has been watching the market demand for packable big bore defense guns and decided to cash in on it.

The concept behind the demand is that there are a lot of folks who go fishing/hiking in big bear country who find carrying a rifle inconvenient. I can understand that, having tried flycasting myself with a rifle slung over my offside shoulder. It makes casting very awkward, and playing/landing a big fish almost impossible. Hence a lot of Alaskan fishermen have gone to heavy handguns as bear medicine. The big single actions (.475 Linebaugh, .500 Linebaugh) have been criticized as being less reliable for fast use than a DA revolver, so custom revolver builders have been modifying the Redhawk.

Hamilton Bowen (bowenclassicarms.com) has been using the Redhawk as a platform for building his Alpine revolver, chambered in anything from .45 Colt up through .475 Linebaugh and .50 Action Express. This revolver will set you back a minimum of $1500 (but it's a Bowen, so it's worth it, IMHO). Ruger has obviously recognized the potential market, and is now providing a factory alternative more in line with the pocketbook of the average joe.

FWIW, I think the ported 4" version of S&W's .500 Magnum is probably a better choice. More powerful yet likely more controllable. Won't know for sure until I get one, of course, but I've got tentative plans to get my hands on one. Should be interesting.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Let's see if Sturm, Ruger, and Company will allow me to link a pic.

Doc, it's good to see you here.

The grips look like they add to controllability... I like it

The site says it's also available in the .480 Ruger. How does this round compare to the .500 Smith? I can't keep track of these big bores... doh!

Josh <><

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
EC... thanks, it's nice to be seen!

Nice pic of the new Redhawk. Sexy lookin' little bee with an itch, ain't she? ;)

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Doc,

Well sir, I wouldn't mind owning one... though I think I'd opt for a 4" blued model (just preference).

I have been wondering about lighter bullets (230-250gr) in the .454 Casull for regular self-defense.

I figure that, if speeds can be worked up with a soft point or hollowpoint bullet, we may actually be able to bring hydrostatic shock into play but with regular defensive handgun penetration- perhaps 14". We would no longer have to rely on a psychological stop but massive internal damage. I don't know if whether I'm dreaming though.

At any rate... I'm not a reloader and can only work in theory. To prevent digression of this post I will begin a new thread in "Caliber Discussion" should I press ahead with this idea.

Josh <><

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
saw it on the ruger site. fell in love! looks like ruger beat s&w to the punch. the best part is you can shoot 45 long in it all day and not wear it out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gents,

Anybody making an Ankle Holster for this yet?...

Sorry, if I can't get it done with a .41 or .44 it's time to move to a large caliber rifle...

Wes

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wow!
I mean I wasnt pleased with the recoil of the .454 in my BFR Lil Max! It wasnt bad in my friends RedHqwk thoguh. However this thing is going t ohurt from both ends. But since its the "Alaskian" and Alaska still has things running around that cant can "scratchy- bitey- swalloy" hunters and hikers, it might be an option. You wouldnt feel it till the adrenaline subsided!

Hmmm maybe we need a new Diry Harry/Magnum force series of movies!Tht would be agood prop!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts