Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just purchased a CZ-83 in .32 ACP from Aim Surplus. It arrived at the FFL Friday but I won't be able to pick it up for a while due to business travel.

In the meantime, my Lee dies have arrived, and I have brass and lead coming from MidwayUSA, several varieties of store-bought coming in from Cheaper than Dirt.

I enjoy handloading and wanted to try something with a small case and tiny powder charges. (I also handload .22 Hornet). It is a fairly heavy gun and should be fun to shoot.

Ideally I'll have something to report on in a few weeks.

Bruce

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Bruce,

We look forward to hearing your thoughts on your pistol, your factory ammo, and your reloads. I think all of them will be helpful to our members. So please update as you have the chance to shoot your pistol with various info.

One request as it will probably work the best for our members. When you are discussing factory ammo, please try to post that in the ammo room. The same request for the reloads in the reload room.

Some members do not reload while others do. So if you are willing to do a bit more work in your writing, I think more members will see what they might be looking for in rooms they usually check.

I am a big CZ fan, but all of my experiences are limited to the 75B and SP-01 pistols. I have never owned an 83, but have heard many positive comments made about them on the CZ forum. I know I am a dinosaur, but I simply prefer the steel framed pistols.

I will be really interested to read your reloading experiences with the .32 acp as well sir. My smallest brass to date ever was the .380, and that was largely for cop friends who carried them as backups and wanted some cheaper practice ammo to use. So I will follow your reports with interest.

Hope you get it soon and discover you have a keeper on your hands too (tips my hat).

twoguns

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am very interested in a range report. The 32acp performs a lot better than it should and your CZ82 should make a great camp/plinking pistol. I bought the 9x18 Mak version and, to date, I am well pleased. Regards, Richard

·
Registered
898 Posts
*Sigh* I gotta stop reading these gunboards, or else move further away from AIM Surplus. Last week I was up there and took a look at the CZ 82s and 83s. Since someone recently gave me a bunch of .32acp ammo, looks like one of the latter is in my future!
Thanks(?) gang!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The prices that the distributors are selling the CZ-82's for is dirt cheap for the quality and amount of handgun that you are getting. But if you have a chance to look over a bunch at AIM Surplus (or anywhere) do so and select the "pick of the litter," as the two that the local True Value hardware store here had both had some damage at the juncture of the bore and the muzzle crown due to careless cleaning with a steel cleaning rod (a common malady on military surplus handguns).

·
Registered
898 Posts
Hope you guys are happy now, I went to AIM this morning and drove away the proud owner of a CZ-83!
Just wish it came with a second magazine like the 82s. Fwiw the 83 mag holds 15 rounds of .32acp. Will report on how it shoots first chance I get.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Brian,

Well I sure can't speak for every member, but I sure am grinning. I always grin when I read someone has been able to buy another weapon.

I hope you will give us your thoughts as well when you get the chance to shoot it.

Enjoy it.

twoguns

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brian,

Now I'm really bummed that I'm sitting up here in Washington state with a new pistol sitting at the FFL in Michigan. How many did you look through before you took that one? What did the other ones look like? I didn't pay extra to hand pick so I' sort of in suspense.

I've got five boxes of S&B 71 grain FMJ coming. From what I've read that is the round most CZ-83s digest the happiest. As I wrote earlier I have dies, brass and lead, too, and my reloading follies will be found on the reloading forum below as they unfold.

15 + 1 rounds probably makes it the highest capacity .32 ACP out there. Its going to take a long time to go through a pound of powder, though!

Bruce

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hope you guys are happy now, I went to AIM this morning and drove away the proud owner of a CZ-83!
Were happy if yer happy. ;)

I didn't pay extra to hand pick so I' sort of in suspense.
For the "hand picking" the distributor just looks over the batch he has in a cursory manner and picks an item with a minimum of finish wear. So, you will likely get a handgun that's seen the least amount of holster carry. Mechanical condition may or may not have any relation to how much the handgun was carried.

If your item has some muzzle damage, like the one I got, a gunsmith can re-crown the barrel pretty easily. Or you can get a tool from Brownells and do it yourself. (This is what I'm gonna do. Got a couple of other handguns whose barrels need recrowning too.)

·
Registered
898 Posts
Well, upcoming weather looked dicey for an outdoor shooting session, so went to the new indoor range across the river in northern Ky. yesterday.

This CZ-83 is pretty much a tack driver, as I suspected. Totally reliable with two different brands/vintages of .32acp ammo. (For the record, ammo used was 71gr. fmj, one box each of Blazer, and Federal/American Eagle from the early '90s.) And of course this gun design is really a 9x18 or .380 platform, recoil is a moot point.

I guess this thing is about 85-90% condition. Finish is a little dulled but pretty much unmarred.

Fnhpsfs, I just took the first specimen the employee brought out of the back. Usually in person, they'll let you look at two, plus the one under glass at the counter, before doing the "handpick" upcharge. At that point they will bring out like four more to sort through.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brian,

That's great! Friday (tomorrow) I'm flying home. Monday morning I'll go down and pick mine up, then over to the GRPD for our mandatory Michigan Safety Inspection! (Measure barrel length, verify serial number and write their initials on the paper from the FFL )

Probably have to get back to work, then Monday afternoon I'll head to the range.

My wife reports that many small boxes have been showing up one the porch. (Ammo, components)

Bruce

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, it is Monday and after lunch I can pick up the CZ-83. Then stop by the PD and off to the range. I have three boxes of S&B 71 gr FMJ, one box of Magtech lead roundnose, and 99 (must have been a short bag) of handloads with 77 grain Oregon Trail roundnose in Magtech cases, remington primers and 1.9 grains of Bullseye.

I'm thinking I'll take my Lee handpress, dies, measure and Bullseye to the range and try a few handloads in the S&B cases as I unload a few.

S&B cases have a better defined extractor groove than typical US brass. There does seem to be a difference between 7.65 Browning and .32 ACP named cartridges.

Ideally I'll have a report to make this evening.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally picked it up and headed to the range.

S&B 73 grain FMJ cycle and shoot fine. The brass heads off at least 20'. I went through a box so I'd have some of the brass to play with. More on that under Reloading later.

Magtech 71 grain LRN gave me a case of rimlock that I had to disassemble the magazine to recover from. Put the rest back in the box.

My handloads seemed to fire fine. No problem cycling, seemed accurate but:

I got home and took the pistol apart. Then I tried various rounds in the chamber to see how the headspacing went. At that point I realized that my reloads wouldn't fully chamber by finger pressure. There is a small .312" band ahead of the crimp groove. Crimping at the groove gave the same OAL as the S&B rounds. The little ring, which makes it look vaguely like a semiwadcutter is too large to go past the shoulder of the chamber that the brass headspaces on. Letting the slide ram forward apparently drives the lead on in and all seems to be fine - but the shell only comes out of the chamber by firing (or in this case tapping it out with a rod from the muzzle end.

I discovered this after firing 90 of the little guys. Well, now I have some .309" lead bullets winging there way towards me. These are and 84 grain LRN intended for .30 lugers. I've got loading data for them.

If I had any positive reloading experience to report I'd write it up in reloading - but I don't feel like I have much to contribute to that yet, as least as far as for the CZ-83 with its european chamber and bore specs.

Do I like the pistol? Yes! It is a keeper. With its solid steel frame and lovely trigger, it is simple to dump 16 rounds on a target quickly and accurately. It is built tough and I find it to be an attractive gun - as a matter of fact it just may be an extremely attractive little pistol.

With one magazine I uncocked the hammer and fired double action with each round. There is a hammer block that stops the hammer well ahead of the firing pin unless the trigger is fully retracted. The CZ website recommends practicing uncocking first with an empty gun. I did quite a bit of that before uncocking my loaded gun. The double action is really quite light. The single action is very light. This is a used gun and probably the prior owner's shooting got it broken in, but the CZ82 and 83 are known for good triggers.

Would I carry it for CCW? Sure. European 7.65 Browning ammo seems to be a bit of a different animal than what we think of as .32 ACP. Fiocchi sells a 60 grain SJHP that claim 1200 fps and 200 fpe. And the CZ has a significantly longer barrel than most .32 pocket guns. And did I say it carries 16 rounds?

But as I write this it is back in the safe and the S&W Model 37 is back in my pocket. Chasing .32 acp brass all over the range is rather time consuming. And of course the Smith fits my pocket better. I'd say the CZ really needs an IWB holster. It looks real obvious in my jeans pocket. Once I stick it in an IWB holster, how much less space will it take up in my trousers than the good old Hi-Power?

Now, I'll admit that a CZ-82 with 13 rounds of 9mmx18 would fit the same holster. Our local Gander Mountain has one down there for $250 - do I dare?

Bruce

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Bruce,

Thanks for an interesting report sir. My shooting circles are simply other LEOs for the most part, be they active or retired. So it has been a long time since I have heard anything on this caliber. I really did find your comments very interesting.

As far as the 82 goes, well do you really want that poor 83 to be so lonely in your safe, not being to speak the same language with the folks around it? Seems only fair to me to get a bud he can chat with (grinning). Please let us know what you decide to do.

Seriously, when you have the time, please add your thoughts in the reloading room. You have already learned something about the diameter bullet you had reloaded, that at least for CZ and similar owners might well be helpful. So I am curious and hoping the different diameter projectiles will perform as desired. Once you have tried the new ones, when you have the time, a post there might well help someone who is getting started with the caliber avoid getting the wrong diameter projectiles to start.

Good luck and please keep us posted sir. It does sound like you have found a winner, but I bet he is already lonely.

twoguns

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello fnhpsfs,

Thank you for the range report on your latest aquistion. Like you, I do have an "appetite" for the Czech CZ-83 and really appreciate the information that you have provided.

Currently, I only own one .32 Automatic, a Nazi era J.P. Sauer and Sohn, handgun. It is an absolute delight to shoot. It is very, very accurate and I'd like to get some idea of the "practical" accuracy of your CZ-83?

Please keep us updated as you have a chance to shoot it. Your observations of bullet profile and "rimlock" are "dead on" and we appreciate the information.

Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Chris,

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Friday night I returned from a short trip and found three boxes had arrived, including 85 grain lead bullets sized to .309", 71 grain FMJ bullets, a box of 60 grain Fiocchi semi-jacketed hollow points, more Magtech empty brass, a Lee .309" sizing die and four nice, small 50 round plastic boxes marked 25 ACP - 32 Mag.

So I fiddled around last night and did some loading. And at 5:00 this afternoon I finished my giant yardwork projects, and the wife agreed I should get to the range while there was daylight. So off to the range I went.

But they had it shut down for some maintenance until tomorrow. Shucks! I wanted to see:

1) How does the Fiocchi work? Will it feed nicely and reset the slide each time. By the way, Fiocchi has beautiful nickel cases with a fabulously long deep and tapered cut leading to the rim. I will need to buy several boxes of the stuff just for the brass.

2) How did my .309" lead work. I sized some of the 77 grain lead round nose bullets that I had tried earlier, and they seemed to be happy chambering.

3) Brought along my handpress, dies and a pound of Blue Dot I wanted to experiment with. What I was going to do will be reported later in reloading if it works.

On the gun in general:

Since it is still new-to-me, I need to carry it around and bond with it some, so I have to admit that my short driving trip to Ohio saw me toting along the CZ as my CCW piece. I think in retrospect that its larger size is probably a bigger drawback to carry than its firepower. I'm pretty convinced that it would be the rare assailant who could prevail against sixteen shots. (Remember: No caliber wars!)

I really like the weight and size and just about everything about it. I also keep thinking about the CZ-82 at Gander for $250. But I need to really get this whole .32 ACP thing worked out more before I get distracted.

I'm headed back Monday and we will see what gun gets to make the trip. Mr J-frame is sure likely to get the nod.

Bruce

·
Registered
898 Posts
Just for fun I tried deliberately creating a rimlock in my CZ-83 magazine, by using a combo of ball and Silvertip ammo. Yep, you deliberately pick two rounds of such differing overall length, you can indeed lock 'em up in the magazine, as was stated in the .32 reloading thread. But not counting that intentional snafu, another range session with mine Friday proved flawless.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just thought that I would point out here that I have posted more reloading info in the reloading forum on the .32 ACP. I think that it is fairly specific to the CZ-83, but owners of other stout fireams in that caliber may well take note.

I would love to stir up more interest in either CZ-83s in general, .32 ACP in general, as well as handloading.

I am pleased as punch with my CZ. I realize that it has been following me around a great deal in a CCW role (HA HA! No caliber wars allowed!!!). It is about time to banish it to safe duty and get the j-frame back into my pocket. The CZ is just too big for my britches, so it lives in the left inside pocket of my denim jacket. It has been cool here in central Michigan, but I think that I'll be needing to ditch the jacket soon, and I certainly can't wear it inside my home. IWB and I haven't hit it off yet, either. I'm just a pocket carry kind of guy.

Bruce

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello Sir,

You are in good company as I am a J-frame front pocket carry kind of guy myself.

Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I started casting bullets this weekend and I've fired over 100 95 grain lead bullets through it. The style is a very round nose. They feed quite well, and the extra weight is good for knocking down the steel plates I was shooting at.

This is a great caliber for handloading if you don't want to buy much powder,
AND
You are good at picking up your brass.

I sure do like the quality of the little CZ-83

Bruce

1 - 20 of 22 Posts