Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, A friend of mine wants to do a trade with me for a couple of handguns that I have. I have a fairly new XD .45 acp with maybe around 800 rounds thru it. I also have a Ruger p97dc with about the same.

My friend has a Springfield 1911 fully loaded. He had quite a bit of work done to it. He had a new trigger 3-4 lb. , saftey grip on the back side. Is that what's it's called? A new sear installed. It has Novak sites in which I believe came with the gun. My friend says he has around 1,800.00 into the gun. It is a reall nice gun. Has under a thousand rounds thru it.

He wants to trade me this for my two pistols. I have never shot a 1911 before so I don't know if I would even like it. I am going to rent one at the gun range soon to find out.

I really like my pistols but honestly, I really don't shoot .45 very much because of the price of ammo. I usually shoot 9mm.

So my question is are 1911 that more accurate than the newer polymer models? This would be the only deciding factor for me to do this trade. Accuracy.

Anyone?
thanks,
martinbr

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi martinbr,

The answer to the question is how well do you shoot the SA? I would suggest asking your friend the opportunity to shoot the SA to see how it functions with "practical accuracy" in your hands.

As to the after factory modifications, I would also find out who did the work and did he have the original parts available.

Also, which particular SA "loaded" model is it?

Personally, I would trade because I am a fan of SA 1911's and I am bias in that way.

Chris

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
You know, as fussy as 1911s are, I would not make that trade (though I've had good experiences in general with the Springfield Loaded line).

It just makes me wonder - the guy has all this work done to a gun, and then suddenly wants to trade it for a couple of Chevy-truck guns (no style, but there's no doubt that the P97 and the HD both work)?

The 1911 might be somewhat more accurate than your guns. Actually, it's hard to believe that it would not be. However, since you're asking I trust you're relatively new to the 1911 and that you haven't even shot his - so, you have to honestly ask yourself if it's going to be all that much more accurate with you driving it?

Probably a bit more, but is it worth the 2-for-one trade when you have two stone-reliable guns getting traded for a model that's not known for reliability after people monkey with it?

Just my thoughts . . . best of luck with the decision, and I hope you end up happy either way. :)

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Buy your own stock Springfield 1911, or better yet, buy one tricked out to some extent by the factory. It'll cost way less than $1,800 either way, and you'll have the factory warranty in case something works.

Edited to correct the above: "in case something DOESN'T work." Sheesh, I hate night shifts.

Otherwise, I'm with Erich. Keep what you have.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
While I am not generally a fan of either Rugers (but they work and you cannot blow them up) or the XDPs (in my experience a bit fragile and lots of parts), I join with LelandRay and others with regard to a 2:1 swap. I like SA products and own the lightweight full size 1911. I would recommend you consider a SA military model or the plain jayne version before letting go your goodies. I think you may like the 1911.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Keep your guns. Appraisals of a gun's worth are not linear. Putting $800 dollars of work into a $1,000 pistol doesn't necessarily mean the gun is worth $1,800. The value of 'custom' work is very variable based on what was done, why and by whom. I question why a new 'loaded' Springfield model would need a new trigger and sear. Novak sight are standard so that doesn't really enter the equation.

Now, with your XD and Ruger you have two fine weapons that you are obviously happy with. While I've never shot a Ruger P97 I have shot the XD in .45ACP and was quite impressed. If you really, really want a 1911 there are other, less expensive yet very high quality options out there. The Kimber Custom II and the Springfield Full Size are two that come immediately to mind and both can be found for well under $1,000.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chris, I have no idea. I have never shot one. I ask the guy if I might try it out at the range, but he is kind of picky about his guns and suggested that I find someone on the range to try something similar or rent one.
martinbr

The answer to the question is how well do you shoot the SA? I would suggest asking your friend the opportunity to shoot the SA to see how it functions with "practical accuracy" in your hands.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote author=erich board=Discussion thread=1160219309 post=1160236392]You know, as fussy as 1911s are, I would not make that trade (though I've had good experiences in general with the Springfield Loaded line).

So they are fussy? That's not good. I am not looking for a gun that has to special attention to it all the time.

It just makes me wonder - the guy has all this work done to a gun, and then suddenly wants to trade it for a couple of Chevy-truck guns (no style, but there's no doubt that the P97 and the HD both work)?

This guy is a little different. He has lot's of money, and likes to trade guns all the time. He has really been after my xd .45 because there is a back order on them where I live and he can't get one. He does this thing all the time.

The 1911 might be somewhat more accurate than your guns. Actually, it's hard to believe that it would not be. However, since you're asking I trust you're relatively new to the 1911 and that you haven't even shot his - so, you have to honestly ask yourself if it's going to be all that much more accurate with you driving it?

I don't think it's going to be that more accurate than I can shoot. It's the man not the tool right? :) Furthermore, after the newness of having another new gun to play with wears off, I probably would have sellers remorse. I'm going to pass on this trade.
thanks,
martinbr

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everyone on giving me some views on this possibel trade I was thinking about doing. I think I will keep what I have and do what some have suggested is to just save up and buy one of the lower end Springfield or Kimber models. Then I could always upgrade it in the future if I decided too. Anyway I have a nice Fn Hi Power for now. It's no 1911 but a fine gun to shoot.
thanks,
martinbr

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You have a 'nice' FN HiPower?! Then you should feel no inadequacy ;).

As for 1911's being finnicky well, I have three (two Springfields and one Kimber). All have been 100% reliable after a short break-in period (about 100 rounds each). The real bugaboo when it comes to reliability in 1911's is the magazine. Unfortunately Kimber and Springfield ship 'throw away' magazines with their lower and mid-range pistols. It's one of the ways they keep costs down. Once I switched to Wilson 8-round magazines all of my feeding problems went away.

Both Kimber and Springfield's mid-range pistols (and here I'm talking about the Kimber Custom II and the Springfield Loaded series) are outstanding buys. Out of the box they are accurate, reliable (with good magazines), rugged and have many of the bells and whistles that custom makers used to make lots of money putting into custom guns - ambi safeties, night sights, fitted match barrels, throated chambers, etc. In terms of overall value I think the Springfield Loaded models are the best deal going and the entry price is surprisingly low. I spied a Stainless Loaded model at my local gunstore the other day that came in well under the $800 mark.

With a nice Springfield or Kimber you will get 95% of your friend's gun's performance at less than half the price.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You have a 'nice' FN HiPower?! Then you should feel no inadequacy ;).

Yes, I love my hipower. But it has the crappiest trigger of all my guns. I have read about why it's that way, but I live in Ca and am not willing to take a chance of removing the mag disconnet.

Is there a upgraded trigger kit for the Fn hipower .40 that I could have a gunsmith install which could give me a better trigger. I mean it hurts my hand to shoot it. It must be around 10-11 lbs.!
Not very enjoyable to shoot after a hour at the range.
martinbr

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Martin, for what it's worth, I think you made the right decision. I have been a handgunner for years and early on, spent a lot of time and money buying, selling and trading guns. Over the years, I figured out that I had traded away a lot of really nice pistols for no particular reason except that I wanted the "latest", the "best", the most "practical"...but really, those are meaningless terms except in the context of their intended usage. Bottom line: I rarely trade or sell guns anymore. I buy them, but I don't give them up.

Incidentally, I owned an XD subcompact in 9mm and I currently own (and have for many years) a Ruger P-97. Both are good pistols, very reliable and combat accurate. They're not pistols you tinker with much...they simply don't require it, because they work well without it, but they're not 1911s and never will be. That said, I'm happy with the P-97 and won't trade it. The XD was, in fact, traded in on a Redhawk 5" blue in .41 mag, like I owned in my youth and then let get away.

Bob

·
Registered
720 Posts
martin, you did the right thing. Your two pistols that you know shoot well are keepers. If you want to add a 1911 someday to your collection, there are plenty around for a little less than $500 that will do just as well as that $1800 tricked out one.
og

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good move, martin. If his gun is nice and you want it, go buy one of your own and keep the other two. Then you have three guns instead of one. I traded a CD 1911 in on my HK USP. Nobody can deny that I traded up, but I still regret letting go of the 1911, and I had two of them! Some guys like trading guns, but I say skip it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts