Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At a local shop yesterday I found a FN Hi Power- Belgium made. SN A049 on frame, 049 on slide and again on barrel. There are other markings I cannot describe at various places, small letters/ triangles etc.

Pistol is blue, small fixed sights, condition about 75%, no papers, box or mag.

Grips seems original, checkered walnut; there is a thumb sized indention on the right side of the slide, forward of the ejection port; maybe to aid in press checking?.

Also on the right, in the area of the rear cocking serration is a oblong "inspection port?' on a bias.

Dealer wants $500 - Question: What model its it; will meg-gar mags work, what is the fair value as a collection piece?

As always - thanks in advance.

Wayne

·
Registered
800 Posts
That sounds like a MK1. As for the value the other great people here can tell you better thanI can.

I have one too. I purchaseed it about 4 years ago but it was refinished at home by the seller and I paid $325.00 for it. To my surprise it shoots very well.

If you buy it have fun but be carefull...... you are just getting started.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Given that there never was a "Mark I" it isn't one. The A prefix S/N tells me it could be an early post-liberation gun. Check to see if it has a mag safety. It shouldn't, and it should have FN pre-war markings. It is collectible if it is post-liberation.

Charles is the "collectible" expert here, so all I've said is valid only with his concurrence.

And, yes Mec-Gars will work.

·
Registered
379 Posts
At a local shop yesterday I found a FN Hi Power- Belgium made. SN A049 on frame, 049 on slide and again on barrel. There are other markings I cannot describe at various places, small letters/ triangles etc.

Pistol is blue, small fixed sights, condition about 75%, no papers, box or mag.

Grips seems original, checkered walnut; there is a thumb sized indention on the right side of the slide, forward of the ejection port; maybe to aid in press checking?.

Also on the right, in the area of the rear cocking serration is a oblong "inspection port?' on a bias.

Dealer wants $500 - Question: What model its it; will meg-gar mags work, what is the fair value as a collection piece?

As always - thanks in advance.

Wayne

I have seen one offered by Doug Smith (FGS) for $1,250 and another (by a different person) for $1,600. The $1,600 had a mint barrel. Exterior conditon on both was better that the one you mention.

The one you mention is in a much lesser condition -- but -- it is a much lower number.

It may not be a $1,250 pistol, but it is more than a $500 pistol. I woul think maybe $700 (considering the 75% finish and the replacement grips).

If you do not want it, let me know. I would buy it for $500 - assuming that it has not been refinished.

I would suggest that you acquire it and then put it aside for the future if there is sufficient money to do this.

If you do buy it, I would not shoot it. It was made in 1944, after the FN factory came back under Allied control. FN started producing Hi-Powers using parts that were left by the Germans. Obviously, it is the 49th pistol produced once regular production started.

Generally, you should find a WaA140 marking on the reverse side of the chamber (the part you cannnot seel unless the barrel is removed) and -- possibily - a "MR" on the left side of the trigger guard. With that early of a number, the finish should be rough - like the late war German pistols. (If not, then the pistol might have been refinished.) There should be no provision for a magazine safety. The grips should be the brown bakelite grips. Since they are wood, a change was made. (The brown bakelite grips can be fragile and it is hard to find original replacements.)

As to finish, the earlyHi-Powers were rough like the German version. As they progressed, they started doing a better job on the finish. Around serial number 300/400, the finish was much better. Around serial number 700/800 the finish was like normal production. Some place along the way, they did a better job of removing the german markings on all parts. Not so on the early ones though.

(I have A117 and A163. A117 has fixed sights. A163 has a stock slot and tangents sights.)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all - I will take this info and return to shop. If the markings check out I will buy and post some pics.

If for some reason I do not buy it I will so inform you so that you can.

They are closed on Monday - so it wil be Tues.-Wed.

Later

·
Registered
800 Posts
Thats what I thought a MK1 is. Or as I was told it was also named a "Vigilant". Then again thats why I said you guys would know better than me. Sorry for the misinformation. I'm gonna go beat my grand father up now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Flusher-

That is the pistol - only this one is not in that good of condition.

CPW - I PM'd you with contact info - my wife and I disagreed about the purchase and I preformed a strategic withdrawal; best to live and fight another day.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
A basic shortlist of BHP models: (emphasis is on the word "basic")
1934 Model, Model of 1935, Grande Puissance (or High Power), Occupation era, Post-occupation, Post-war, Vigilante (pronounced vigilant), Mark II, Mark III & Mark IIIS. There are/were variations on the theme throughout.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Inglis did make a Mark I. In fact, they made two (4 if you count the "I*"s). The made the Number 1 Mark I (& No.1 MkI*), & the Number 2 Mark I (& No.2 MkI*). The No.1s were the "Chinese contract guns with the tangent sights. The No.2s were the fixed sight version. All were marked "BROWNING - F.N. 9MM H.P. INGLIS CANADA" in small pantograhed letters at the bottom of the left side of the slide. Serial numbers for the tangent sighted guns included the letters "CH"; while the the fixed sight version had a "T". In both cases, the letters were preceded by at least one number, and followed by four numbers. Other markings may have included "No.2 Mk. I*, for example, on the left side of the slide.

I would offer that your grandfather may well have had an INGLIS, and is confusing it with the Vigilante that was on the market at the time he owned the gun.

·
Registered
27 Posts
HI there i have a browning hp alsow with the serial number starts with a B, can any one please help me date my gun and tell me if it is a browning hp or a clone
Hello and welcome to the forum!
Where are you located?

It will be simpler if you share photos of your pistol. To begin we want to see sharp profile images of both sides, including the serial number, import marks, etc. This will allow us to give you as much info as is available. An image showing the sights and top of the slide is sometimes helpful.

With a "B" prefix, it is immediately likely it is an FEG Hungarian made pistol. New research has informed us there was an agreement with Fabrique Nationale to manufacture these. There is also a vast set of spreadsheet images from this research, on a different High Power forum, which may help you learn pistol features and serial number when yours was made, if it is indeed from FEG. FEG also produced some "counterfeit" FN High Powers for sale to Iraq. A special contract.

I have only one FEG which has a "B" prefix and two different import marks to the USA.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures and helping to unravel your mystery!

Cheers,

Tim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts