Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help finding production date of a S&W 5th model Safety Hammerless .38S&W ["aka" Lemon Squeezer/New Departure] Picked this up over the weekend at my local gun shop. I know that they were made between 1907 and 1940, but is there a site that you can go to with the serial number and get just the year of manufacture, there use to be such a site but I can't fine it now. Also, any info on the S&W 5th Model would be much appreciated.

Papabear

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there papabear,

I checked the Standard Catalog of S&W by Supica and Nahas and the only information listed is the production period that you have already indicated, i.e 1907-1940 and a description of the revolver.

You could try over on the www.smith-wessonforum.com and post a thread to see if there are any specifics by avid collectors.

Chris

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris,

Briefly looked on that site but didn't find anything, I'll post a thread there like you suggested, Thanks!

Papabear

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chris,

I took your suggestion and posted a thread on the S&W forum and did receive some good information. It appears that the serial # on my piece is between two known letters with SN that date May 1917 and Jan 1922, so my 5th model is somewhere in the late teens and the early 20's. I still plan to write S&W for a letter on my 5th model. Thanks your help and suggestions in this matter.

Papabear

1 - 4 of 4 Posts