Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a big fan of the 9mm Parabellum but I'm planning to get on for my Zombie Rig (long story, don't ask), anyway I'm looking for a high-capacity DA 9mm and I would like some opinions. I have a few conditions about the pistol I choose;

1) I don't like Glocks! Sure they work but they do not fit my hand at all. I also don't want an S&W or Beretta of any kind for various reasons I won't bore you with.

2) I don't want to spend a lot of time and energy on getting this thing to run, it needs to go right out of the box.

3) I don't have a huge fortune to spend, $600 is about the max. I need a bunch of magazines too (I prefer to have about 20 mags or more), but I can get them a few at a time but not at $50 or more a pop.

4) Fancy doo-dads are not required, I don't plan to mount lights, lasers, grenade launchers, etc. so rails and the like are not required (but if it has one, no biggie).

5) Used in good condition is fine.

I've been looking at the Steyr M series at CDNN for under $400 but I have very little info on them, though they look cool. I've also considered the CZ-75, the CZ-99 (CD ZDA), FN-HP, FN-FNP, and Ruger among others.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Hello Warhawke,

Had a Steyr M for a time. The gun is wide for a 9 para, it was conceived with .40 SW in mind. Mine didn't work well at the beginning, the trigger failing to reset sometime. It was sent back to Austria (from Switzerland no problem) for guarantee and functionned perfectly after that. It was a low number gun and I heard the problem has been fixed. The pyramid sights are very effective in my opinion, they can be changed too. The trigger is more strange with almost no stake-up - nothing comparable, even Glocks. The safety - "on" button over the triggerguard, "off" lever in - is very smart and handy. The gun can be locked too. The ergonomic of the grip is top.

Overall, a well designed gun, built like a tank, that one might get used to. I sold it because I'm rather in traditionnal guns.

The CZ is much more traditionnal. Usually good trigger pulls in DA/SA, very good position on the hand. A little heavy and thick for a 9. A way to go if you want a DA gun. If you don't, the HP has about the same virtues, in a lighter and thinner package.

L.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
warhawke,

I agree with Mr. Larry on his thought on the FN HP and the CZ75B. If you want a traditional DA/SA that can also be carried cocked and locked when desired, the CZ75B is the way to go in my opinion. If you do not mind a traditional SA then you would be hard pressed to do any better than an FN HP in my opinion.

Both will allow you to purchased very reliable Mec-Gar magazines in the low $20s range, if not cheaper depending on the deal you find. You can also get the factory mags as well, but will pay more for the factory name (which will also be made for the factory by Mec-Gar.)

Just my thoughts. Hope they might help a bit.

twoguns

·
Registered
615 Posts
Sig CPO's (Certified Pre-Owned I think) run $400-500 and Mec-Gar mags (who makes them for the factory) are about $25 each.

CDNN always has some deals going on, last time I looked they had new Rugers and EAA (CZ clone) for under $300, and they always seem to have Law Enforcement trade-ins.

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
warhawke,

Buy a SIG. Pay the price and don't look back. Sig also has a probram for $99.95 where they will go throuh the entire gun, replace all springs and make sure everything is OK on a used gun. At the same time they install night sights. A GOOD price for your piece of mind and a set of night sights.
Check out the SIG web-site.

Wes

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
If you can get a SIG - P225, P226, P228, P229 or P239 - for 4-500 $ and like the design and ergonomics - very good in my opinion - go for it. Wes' gave good advice.

L.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
There's also the Springfield XD9.

Getting something that runs out of the box shouldn't be a problem as long as you stick with the name makers (except Colt) from the USA and Europe.

Regards,

Pat

G

·
CZ, Sig, Hi-Power, Beretta or Taurus M9 if your hand fits.

The new Armalite AR 24 isn't as pretty as the CZ, but they seem to be good guns.

Just poke around, and find one that fits your hand, from a good manufacturer.

Also, the widely-available German Surplus SIG P225s are a great choice, if you plan on concealed carry.

G

·
CDNN has the H&K USP Compact in 9mm with a stainless steel slide for $599.00. It comes with 2 hicap magazines. It's a Variant 1. You can carry it cocked and locked or go with the hammer down and traditional double action. It also has a decocker. Since you are not planning on adding any attachments you won't mind the proprietary light rail. These are very well made, dependable firearms.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
The best bargain 9mm that I have seen recently is a Smith and Wesson Sigma.
In a sense it is an S&W clone of the Glock. It has a polymer frame, which many do not care for, but I have seen them new for 300 bucks.

G

·
I'm an H&K guy, myself. The USP9 is one of the most dependable, versatile, and rugged firearms around. Good pick for a 9mm. The FNP's are great guns as well. Around $400 new. I would pay more and get the HK, though. ~Pistolero

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
If Glocks don't fit, try the SA XD9 or the new S&W M&P9. The SIGMA is ok if you can find the mags where the floorplates do not randomly self eject. The Steyr M9 is a great gun cheap (mags are a bit of a bite but...). Those goofy triangle sights are silly and should be replaced with Novaks ASAP. The CZ is a good gun too but a bit of a chunk. I have no use for SIGs/HKs myself but there are plenty who do and do well with them. The M&Ps are about free now at $400 or so. The Steyr is cheaper but the mags are more. They feel great too. CDNN has they for $330 as I recall.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
If I were going out to buy a 9mm right now, and had to stay within your criteria, I'd get a Springfield XD.
I like Browning HiPowers, but I haven't priced any recently, so don't know if it would fall within the price range.
My next choice would probably be a CZ75.

G

·
I have a Walther P99 AS[anti stress].It is a DA/SA with a 15 shot magazine.The original Walter magazines made in Italy are selling for $32 at MidwayUSA today. I can't recommend the Pro Mags that sell for less. The pistol retails for $665 but I'm sure you can get one for less. It has three interchangeable backstraps for different sized hands. The windage is set by an adjustable rear sight and the elevation is controlled by four front sights of different heights that can be changed in seconds by pushing them out with a punch and replacing the one that fits your needs; they are numbered 1-4. I have well over 1,500 rounds through mine and never had a malfunction. I use Black Hills 124+ JHP for SD and standard FMJ for practice. The only criticism I have with this pistol is that when you rack the slide to put a live round in the chamber, it goes to the SA mode. So if you forget to decock the piece to the DA mode you will be carrying it the SA mode which I feel can be unsafe. They also make a DA only model called the P99QA[Quick Action] which I did not like because it felt like ever shoot had about a 12 lb pull which is too heavy for my liking.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I dont give advice but I dont mind telling you what I would do (actually did).

First choice a Browning and plenty of mags (first choice Mec-Gar 15 rounders at just under $20 a pop but there are some workable aftermarket mags - just no American or pro mags).

Second (I did this too) was CZ-75B. Not a bad gun at all but I slightly prefer the Browning.

I also have a Glock 17 (a 19 is a good choice too). I dont really "like" Glocks but they are functional and certainly accurate enough to do the job. They dont fit my hand either.

I have 3 Berettas (Have to in my business)...I would never spend my hard earned money for a Beretta handgun if I had a choice (other than perhaps one of the old Jaguars in .22 which were cute). I said "have" not true, I gave one away. The newer rotating lock guns might be OK but I have not tried them - if their DA trigger lockwork is the same as the M9 I would not own one.

We also keep a Sig 226, Star, P-38s and some other 9mms I probably havent thought of in a while around for folks to shoot. I dont care for any of them. They pale in comparison to the Browning and the CZ.

I do not have 9mms in the XD or the S&W M&P - those are probably worth looking into. however the XD is awfully bulky for a 9mm. Dont know a thing about the Taurus Milenium - the older striker fired gun I do not care for.

An outstanding option would be a Commander sized 1911 style gun (no shorter than 4.25") in Super .38 with a spare 9mm barrel.

Jim H.

G

·
I would suggest looking at a Smith & Wesson M&P. The Grip has
interchangeable back straps so you can sort of customize it to your feel. Mine has been top notch right out of the box.
J.W.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts