Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally had the new to me 25-5 transferred in state. Took it to the range yesterday along with My 28. Both 4 inch guns and gripped the same.

Other than the obvious lack of a pin on the 25 wonder if there are any other differences. So far I can see the screws are Allen head, a few different machining cuts on the newer gun. Of course the 357 barrel on the 28 is tapered and lacks the higher blue finish. Cylinder is not recessed on the 25 either however expect that's because it's a 45 LC not a Magnum. Don't know if pinned 45 LC N's had recessed cylinders.

Reason I ask is The action feels different too, something about the trigger reset. 28 is well worn in while the 25 non pinned gun looks to be little used, still it feels different. Anybody know about the internals, are newer but still pre-lock non pinned S&W revolvers exactly the same inside as older guns.

Working up loads now, think I am going to like it.

Boats

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
"Standard" caliber guns didn't have recessed chambers, though all the magnums did at first, including the .357, .41, and .44 guns. I don't know of any objective tests to see if the recessed guns were any stronger, but I suspect arms manufacturers would have checked as a precaution against possible gun failure and/or liability.

·
Registered
148 Posts
an unsupported rim is not a problem.

N-frames in the same generation should be simular internally unless someone has been inside modifying parts. It's not unusual to pick up two identical guns that have a slightly different feel to me, but the older guns probably did require a bit more hand fitting during assembly.

I've got three nickle K-frames and each feels a bit different to my trigger finger. I suppose it's like a GM assembly line, some days are better than others:)

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
boats, I have 8 N frames, and they all have different feeling triggers. Lots of little bits inside, and springs of various types, and differences in wear, so there are a lot of things that can cause two revolvers' triggers to feel different, especially in double action. Not to mention that if I change the grip on an N S&W, that changes the angle of pull, or difference in reach, so even that can make a perceived difference in feel.

I believe the internals on my 25-5 .45 Colt (pinned not recessed) are the same as they are on your slightly later version. Unlike autos, revolver trigger systems seem to work better when they get a little wear.

What of your screws are allen? Other than the sight screws, I don't have any of those in my Smiths.

Oh, and by the way, congratulations on getting a really neat gun. The 25 started my obsession with N frames.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
arminius, the MIM didn't start in the 25 series until 25-11 (2001). The 25-5 was from 1978-1988.

Unless boats has a late transitional version with a floating hand (very very unlikely) his parts would be the same as mine, the pin in the barrel being the only difference.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hoot,

I have never seen a Smith with Allen head screws in the frame only 3 digit model I own is a 342 and it has slotted screws. All my older revolvers have had slotted screws. This 25-5 has them for sure, two on the side and one in mainspring tension screw in the grip frame.

Agree with all you guys on older ones being smoother, This 25-5 compared to my 28 feels rougher but I am feeling some reluctance on trigger re-set too. Don't feel the same thing on the little 342 which is fairly new. Could be something wrong inside. burr or some hang to the spring possibly

Boats

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Boats, regarding the allen screws, it sounds like somebody did some work on the gun. I've never heard of anything like that before. I have a couple of 625's and a 19 later than your 25, and they are all slotted. I'm no expert, but I've seen a Smith or two, so I'm not totally ignorant. ;) I am not very familiar with custom modifications, so maybe it's something aftermarket.

One of my newer guns has the best trigger of all of them. It's been shot the most, so I'm thinking that it pretty much got a trigger job by default. "Worn in" isn't necessarily always a bad thing on a revolver.

Could be that if work was done, that might be the root of your issue. If something's messed up, I always look at what I did last, first. :) A lightened rebound slide spring makes for a lighter trigger, I think. I believe also that it could give you a weaker reset. See above regarding custom revolvers, and take this with a grain of salt. If it were mine, I'd pull the sideplate and see what's inside.

Best luck!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Boats,

+1 with Mr. Hoot on the allen head screws. I think someone did some work, and for whatever reason replaced the factory screws with allen heads.

It is possible that the internals simply are dirty and have build up...or the opposite, they are basically bone dry. I would agree with his suggestion to pop the sideplate and have a look inside. It may only take a good cleaning and lube to make a world of difference for your sir. If you are not comfortable going inside and properly removing the various parts to clean and lube them, check with some of your friends or a gunsmith.

But I promise you sir, it "ain't rocket science". But you do need to know a few tricks on removing some parts and the proper order the parts should come out and go back in also.

Good luck. If someone does take a look, please let us know the results.

Enjoy her sir, and you have me drooling. A model 25/625 in .45Colt is on my very short list of "really have to finds" in a pre-lock Smith.

twoguns

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys may well take it apart, Have done a few Smiths before, cleaning not filing or polishing.

Looking at the screws this morning with a magnifier they are real aftermarket looking. Blue domed head and a pretty good fit for the slot's countersink but not perfect.

Could be this particular gun is newer than I think # AY N 980X Marked 25-5 Wish I could post a picture.

Boats

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Boats, your serial number (if I'm reading the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson right) would put your gun between Jan. and Jul. of 1988. That's right at the very end of the -5 production, fwiw.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
In looking through catalogs recently, I found Allen screws for S&W revolvers. I can't remember the price, but I'm pretty sure I saw them in the Midway catalog. I considered buying some, but the only utility to me would be if I completely stripped my guns on a regular basis, which I don't. For a carrying or competition gun, however, they might be a good idea. If nothing else it's kinda cool.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Barrel pinning doesn't seem to matter from my experience with pre-lock/pre-two piece barrels. I've never liked the recessed cylinders, I found when shooting IPSC many years ago, it was too easy for a piece of trash or unburned power to get caught in the recesses, gumming up the works.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I think pinned and recessed went out in the early 80's if memory serves. While I never cared much for the pinned barrels as Colts never did that, I was sort of partial to the recessed cylinders myself but I do remember giving them a slight chamfer for both edges. My nasty old Model 13 4" SB has both and my fancy M19 2.5" RB has neither. It does not appear to effect the function of either. I have now seen and heard of the horror stories of the new style key locks seizing up and the two piece barrels suddenly coming unglued but I have not seen it happen. Still I resisted going to S&W Days to observe the new Centennials on sale. I will just have to live with the old pinned Model 36 SB. Wish I could fit one of the new laser sighting systems to it. They appear to be deregeur these days. Sorry about the spelling...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello,

That weapon shipped from the factory in February of 1989.

Regards,

Dave
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2008 7:03 AM
To: Smith & Wesson Support
Subject: serial # Date please

I purchased a model 27-3 and was wondering if you could tell me the date of manufacture?
Thanks

Just curious, if my 27-3 left the factory in 1989 Why would a 27-5 be in the same production year? Did the nymbers overlap, or were there diffeerent cyclee productions going on at the same time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry, for wasting time with above post, it's 4AM and I just realized we were talking about a model 25 not 27. These 12 hour shifts are killing me, only two more hours to go.
On another note, what does MIM stand for? Not being a wise guy but the only thing I could think of since it's referred to as negative is Made in Mexico.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Florida

MIM means Metal Injected Molded or something like that. Molded rather than machined parts.

No problem on the number work odd hours myself.

Boats

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thank-You always enjoy learning something. Looking back on my two previous posts, between the spelling errors and wrong gun entirely, I think I wll resign myself to just reading and learning for now rather than responding.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts