Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently picked up a LNIB Beretta 92FS at my local dealer, 98% + condition, doesn't appear to have been holstered or shoot very much, it came with these custom wood grips, [maker unknown at this point], but any suggestions appreciated, two original 15rd mags and the original grips for $450 OTD, no way could I pass it up. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I have shot the M9 military version and really like it, I've been on the prowl ever since and when this one popped up I had to have it. Range report to follow.

papabear

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Wow, that's very attractive with those stocks. Those 92s are wonderful to shoot and easy to clean. Very nice guns. :)

·
Regulator,
2,353 Posts
Congrats, Papabear.

+1 with Erich. That's a heckuva good buy on a very good pistol. I owned the 92 Brigadier, which was a standard 92FS with a beefed up slide done in response to some scares about slide cracking in the gun's earlier days. I found it to give very good service pistol accuracy and to be utterly reliable even when very dirty. I also found G.I. mags to be very good ones as well, if you can find any in good shape.

As far as a body of usage outside the military, the Los Angeles Police Dept and Los Angeles County Sheriff Dept both used them to the tune of probably 20,000-25,000 total, and so did the Virginia State Police, so any vices it may have are few and well known by now, and I haven't heard of many. I certainly found none in the one I owned and I shot the heck out of it. Great buy.

JayPee

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
A number of NC state agencies issued the Beretta. Also Greensboro PD. I got one of their tradins when they went to .40 cal. Always worked, which seems to be the norm. I replaced the plastic grips with Hogue rubber which are thinner yet feel better.

Good find!

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello Papabear,

Very nice find!

I have always liked the Beretta 92F and I while I never owned one-I did own its distant cousin, the Taurus 92. I love the design of the pistol and the way it fits my hands.

Again, congradulations.

Chris

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Hello Papa,

I have owned 3 Berettas along the time, all 92 Compact (1 SB Compact and 2 FS Compact L). All very reliable and accurate.

These Berettas slowly become classic: all metal/wood, safety decocker, hi-cap. All the features that established the wondernine trend at the end of the 70s.

With these wood grips (Hogue?), yours looks really racy. Good deal.

Bye.

L.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all, I have been trying to find out the maker of these grips, if you look close you can see that there is a slight thumb-grip on the left panel, and the right side has it also, its the first time I have seen thumb-grips on both sides, it doesn't distract from my hand griping the pistol, they really help to give a firm grip to the 92. Does that help narrow it down to any certain maker or do they all do that now?

papagbear

·
Regulator,
2,353 Posts
Papabear,

I know a number of manufacturers use the swell on both sides now, but I always knew it as one of Herrett's traditional trademarks going back to the late 60's and early 70's. I had a set of uncheckered Herretts like yours on a Commander in '72. For what it's worth. CDNN markets a set of Herretts checkered cocobolo grips in its Browning section for the BHP. You might take a look at them and see what you think about similarities with yours.

JayPee

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally got to the range today with the Beretta 92F. Temp was 62 degrees and not windy, shot a couple 15 round mags to get use to it. It was shooting low and to the left, POA was 6 o'clock, adjusted POA to 2 o'clock and got much better results. I think with more practice I'll start getting a tighter group. I was using Remington UMC 115gr, Speer Lawman 124gr and S&B Range Safe 115gr, the Speer Lawman 124 seemed to shoot the tighter group.

I usually point shoot, at 7-10 yards, but today I wanted to actually get a feel for the Beretta and how it shot for me so I was target shooting with a standing two handed free grip at 10 yards. This target has a 8" diameter, but when I point shoot at 7-10 yards its at a 9" paper plate and I'm just shooting for center mass. When me and Mr. Beretta become better friends I am confident we will get along just fine, as some here said, it is a smooth shooting weapon.

papabear

1 - 10 of 10 Posts