Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I asked some questions here, and on other forums, and had some great advice. Thanks to the members who personally emailed me; I said I decided what to buy and would post pictures when it came in.

I special ordered a Pre-War USFA, with the 4 3/4-inch barrel, in .45 Colt with a fitted .45 acp cylinder. I also ordered the "Fire Blue Appointments" and fancy 2-piece walnut grips.

What a great looking/feeling pistol. The trigger pull is 3 lbs, 6 ozs. It feels like a Swiss Watch. Thanks to all for you advice; even though not all agreed this was the brand - nobody dissagreed!

I edited to paste smaller photos.

G

·
Very nice. I believe that it's the only way to get a "Colt" of Colt pre-war quality without spending several thousand $'s or more for a very rare mint original.

Enjoy

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello nbender,

Very nice six shooter and really nice photos.

However, you need to resize them to our 640X480 size limits on photos. You can reedit them in photobucket.com.

Again, congradulations on your purchase.

Chris

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Nbender,

Congradulations on your newest lady sir. She does look like a keeper. We look forward to hearing how she shoots for you when you have the time.

I can not remember if I suggested this to you before, so in case I did not, I will say it here. Besides it might help out some other members who get the dual cylinder models as well.

Unless they have a Ruger Vaquero which is a different creature entirely - my comments would probably apply. Again I just wanted to share some information given to me by factory personnel.

I was tempted to get the .45acp cylinders fitted to a nice set of SAA clones I owned, and called the factory to discuss it with them. The person I spoke with was honest, and I appreciated that.

His suggestion was if I did get the dual cylinder to ONLY fire .45acp target loads through my revolvers. He felt if I used any HPs or FMJ loads, I would simply put too much stress on the revolvers and shoot them loose very quickly. He also noted using either would be viewed by his company as using "improper" ammo and would void my factory warranty.

Most of the ammo I had on hand to shoot was indeed various brands of HPs and some military 230 FMJs I had acquired. So I simply elected not to get the extra cylinders fitted to my pair.

I am really not familiar with your specific brand, in that I have never owned that brand of revolver. All I would suggest is if you contemplate shooting .45acp HPs or FMJs through the acp cylinder, you might want to call the factory and see what advice they offer you first. I would hate for you to have a problem of some type, and then discover you have somehow voided your warranty by using what they consider "improper" ammo or something.

Enjoy it sir, as it is a gorgeous SAA, in my preferred barrel lenght and caliber. I really enjoy mine and I am sure you will enjoy shooting this one too.

twoguns

·
Registered
399 Posts
That sure is a beauty you got there sir. Some vary good pictures also. Please let us know how it does at the range. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
nbender,

OUTSTANDING!!! Thank you for sharing those wonderful photo's. I happen to agree with twoguns, I have heard the same info about the dual cylinders from my local gunsmith........ however I too am not familiar with that brand [USFA], but that is one "SWEET" looking SAA. Hopefully you'll be able to give us a range report soon.

papabear

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone. I am one proud Papa. Here's to Custom Ordered guns from reknowned U.S. manufacturers.

I did get to the range to try it out. I am no marksman, although the Army labeled me one 40 years ago. But I think with this pistol I might get decent results.

I fired 5 shots of Winchester 250-grain LFN from 25-feet.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
twoguns - I agree with what you wrote about not firing .45 acp FMJ or JHP. I started pre-staging ammo for this pistol while I was waiting for it to be built, and I picked up 5 boxes of Ultramax remanufactured .45 acp with a round nose lead bullet. I've heard vaying reports on the quality of this ammo. I'll shoot and see.

I also made a vow to start reloading because of this caliber. Who can afford store-bought .45 Colt? This summer I'll be getting into another hobby.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. Thanks for letting us see this beauty. I think that the old SAA-type revolvers are elegant and just plain good-looking revolvers. Sadly, and I have not been able to diagnose why, I cannot shoot these revolvers very well at all...but that certainly doesn't mean that others can't and again, I believe you have a beautiful shooter.

Best.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy sir,

I do encourgage you to take up reloading. Not only will it let you save money by giving you more rounds for the same dollar, but it also add a new element to your shooting pleasure. It is great to shoot a nice tight group with any firearm. To me it is just than much nicer when you realize that you loaded the rounds that created that tight group.

Reloading will also let you experiment with your components - including powder charges - to find the load that suits your particular SAA the best. It is much easier to create a round that shoots to POA/POI or very close when reloading for a SAA in my opinion - without having to file sights. Once filed you are basically stuck with that particular round to get good accuracy with it.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us on shooting your new lady, and we look forward to new range reports as well.

twoguns

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
nbender,

Outstanding shooting!!! I am not very familiar with Single Actions and only owned a Ruger Vaquero for a short period of time.

By the way, many thanks for resizing the pics. They do indeed show your new SA to its best advantage.

I hope you do get the opportunity to reload for your new USFA SAA! It would increase the shooting pleasure immensely!

Chris

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I think I'm in love.

I read an article a year or so back about a special run of "Lend Lease" USFAs which were chambered in .45 ACP and appointed with lanyard rings. I thought it was a neat idea, but for me the real caliber of a fine SAA is .45 Colt and nothing else. Okay, so I sold my only Colt SAA a while back and only have Rugers and clones now, but I mostly shoot them with .45 Colt ammo loaded to approximate 1873 specs, or I get really frisky and shoot them with .45 Schofield as the Army did when they were issuing both guns.

In any event, when I win the lottery I'll get me a USFA. That is just so purty it brings tears to my eyes.

G

·
Nbender,

Good choice to take up handloading. Like you say, .45 Colt is pretty spendy stuff. The nice big fat cases are therapeutic to handle. I have Starline nickel plated cases for my .45 Colt Vaquero. Loading at the power level for your revolver won't eat up powder all that fast. I've been using Meister 200 grain SWC bullets. I think I paid $35 for a box of 500 at the local Gander Mountain.

Check in on Twoguns' reloading department when you get ready to tool up.

Good deal!

Bruce

·
Registered
637 Posts
USFAs are generally viewed as the cream of SAA Colt reproductions. Last year I bought one in .38-40 to complement my Winchester '92 (1908 manufacture) in the same caliber, and I couldn't be more pleased with its fit, finish, handling qualities and accuracy. I own a 3rd generation Colt SA that can't compare with it. Congratulations on your purchase. --c

G

·
I have been shooting SAA's of varying brands for many years, and have always heard that USFA's were the best. Now I see why they say that. It obviously shoots as good as it looks, too.
A great revolver.
Enjoy it, and thank you for sharing the pics.

Mark

G

·
My experience with USFA has been the Rodeos. I find they are a great, ecomonical intro to the SAA. I found a .45, .44 Spec and a .38-40. Great shooters.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts