Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Traded my Beretta 25 auto in on a pocket worn M-38 Smith. Even found an old polished aluminum grip adapter and a holster to go with it. Nice rig. I'm happy.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Good deal for you Bret, I would say. I like the old .38's in any length or combination that Smith made them. The first one I ever shot was a old M-10 and I have liked them ever since. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had it out to the range for a quick try. It loved my hand loaded H+G wadcutters in front of 2.7 gr Bullseye. It didn't like the Remington factory stuff I tried after I ran out of my stuff. I had thought the cylinder thumb latch might cut my thumb knuckle in recoil, but no issue with the light loads. I have yet to try any "social" loads. Nice gun. I may change the grip as it's a bit short, making me hit the trigger with second joint of my finger. I have a set on my J frame kit gun that are just right and may try to find some like it.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi bret4207,

Thank you for the range report!

I owned for a brief time the M-38 before buying a brand new 642. The M-38 was a delightful revolver. I wish I kept it around for handloads. I like the 4.2 grains of Unique under a 158 grain LSWCHP. It holds up good enough for "social work" should I chose to load it and displays reasonable accuracy out of the short barrel.

Great news and congradulations on your "new" M-38!

Chris

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. Interesting report. Comfortable grips that are not so large that they negate the snub's concealability can go a long way in reducing felt recoil.

Best.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Congrats on the Model 38; mine has been a regular companion for many years. I like the Secret Service grips from Eagle. They do nothing to hinder concealability, yet make a big difference with recoil and look great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts