Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About four hours ago I bought a new Kel-Tec PF9. Paid $239 plus tax.

Got it home and stripped it down for cleaning and inspection. After lubing with BreakFree, I reassembled the thing and put it away. Last month I sold my Kahr Arms MK9 because IMHO it was just too heavy at 24 ounces unloaded to be a discreet pocket carry piece. The PF9 weights barely half that weight and is even thinner than the Kahr. Mag capacity is seven rounds plus one in the chamber.

Hope to take it to the range next Monday if the weather permits and put some rounds down range. Will give a range report on it when finished. One noticeable difference between the PF0 and my P32. The 9 has small but useful three white dot Novak style sights. Hopefully this will help me shoot the thing more accurately than the P32 with my 61 year old eyes.

Roadster

·
Registered
399 Posts
Well Mr Roadster me and you are the same age and have the same problems. I have been looking around some trying to find a pistol for my wife with a little more fire power. The KT PF9 would fill the bill I do beleive. I'll be looking forward to your range report. Good luck.

Best Baldy..

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I also sprang for the KT PF-9 and I have been pleased with it for what it is. Mine has thus far functioned reliable only with ball and you cannot limp wrist it. I plan to shoot it again tomorrow to continue my testing. But for $250, what the heck!

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Bought 3 new mags last week and tested them today. As long as I use ball ammo, it just keeps rolling along. My chrono found it consistently averaging 1100-1150 fps today. The trigger pull is the biggest accuracy problem and the double reset on the trigger return takes some getting used to. Other than that, good enough for me to walk the dogs with.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Mr Oberstlt what is the double reset on the trigger? As usual I am a day late and dollar short on what's happening. Thanks.

Best Baldy..

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I made it to the range a day early with the PF9.

Shot 50 rounds of Win White Box 115 gr FMJ to start the break in and get a general idea of what this little blaster can do. Shot four inch groups at 21 feet and two inch groups at 10 feet. A group was seven rounds. No failures of any kind to report. I agree with oberstit that the trigger is an accuracy problem. But given the purpose of the PF9, I wasn't disappointed by the groups I got.

I put the PF9 away after 50 rounds. My trigger finger was getting sore and having only one mag to use makes for a long session IMO. I will try some Hydra-Shoks and SilverTips next time out. I think that I will stick with standard pressure rounds in this lightweight pistol. No need to abuse the pistol or my wrist.

The PF9 kind of reminds me of my S&W Model 642 Airweight. A handgun that is meant to be carried a lot and shot little. If it proves to be reliable with JHP rounds, then I will be satisfied.

Then I broke out the Sig P210-6 with its four mags. Burned through 100 rounds and was once again reminded why this is one of the world's finest handguns. I paid more for three 210 mags than I paid for the PF9. Oh well.....

Roadster

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Baldy - learning about trigger reset cost me a trip to Thunder Ranch! But, I will share with you something I was too stupid to learn from a book. When you pull your trigger to the rear, hold it there and let the gun cycle thru to reload. Keep holding it to the rear. Then let the trigger out until you feel it go click - that resets the trigger and lets you take it to the rear again and fire. There is no slack only the smooth, glass rod break described by Lt. Col. Cooper. On the PF-9 it clicks twice before you can shoot again. Does that make sense.

I concur with you Roadster. Carried a lot and shot only for testing. I don't think it would make it as anything else. But, you can shoot an Airweight as long as you can stand it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts