Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, you've heard me talk about him for well over a year, now, so I decided it was time to introduce you guys to Job (Yes, like that guy from the Bible.)

This is my 2.5" Model 19-4, which I call Old Job. This is both my finest firearm, and the one with which I am most proficient. This gun makes me look good, and makes me wonder what I could do with a longer barreled version of the same.

Job is seen here in my favored carry configuration, wearing smooth chocobolo Hogue Bantams, and loaded with Speer's excellent short-barrel .357s, which I believe to be simply the best ammunition available for the snub K-frames, as they are loaded only a touch hotter, if not only as hot as +P .38, evidenced by their exceptionally light recoil and lack of muzzle flip (relatively speaking, of course; they're still fairly hot loads from a snub, so you still need a decent bit of practice to master them.) Pictured also is the Galco Speedmaster I usually carry Job in, and my horsehide gunbelt, which, despite being only a single thickness, keeps this holster remarkably stable, owing mostly, I think, to a stiffness induced by whatever leather treatment Wild Bill is now using on his horsehide.

Under no more than an untucked button down, this setup allows for a quick draw, and excellent concealment, without the discomfort and ill-fitting pants associated with an IWB rig.

I don't have a shot target to show you, but I know for a fact I can keep the short barrel Gold Dots on a Coke can at ten yards, despite its propensity to observe Newtonian physics, first reacting to the action of the bullet's passage through its light aluminum body, then tending to remain in motion, thereafter. As such, I am quite satisfied with these as a carry load.

So, there you have it; my favorite revolver, and my most trusted firearm.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Thanks for the pic's and the discourse of your favorite weapon which by the is way is simply beautiful, and a very nice carry rig to boot.

papabear

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Chubbypigeon,

I have Job's twin brother. It has a tuned 7 3/4 lb. DA pull and pops every brand of ammo/primer I've ever run through it.
It's the last revolver I would part with...

Wes

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. The Model 19 in general and the 2 1/2 and 4" guns are the classic S&W-type revolver in my opinion.

This Model 19 snub came with a very good DA and I've seen no reason to change it other than the addition of Eagle "Secret Service" grips. This one is not shot too much and carried less, but in the past I literally wore the blue off one from holster use.

My liking the M19 goes back many years. I bought this 4" NIB for my father in the '70's. When he passed, it came back to me.

I think using the mid-power magnums is a wise move in the Model 19 revolvers now that S&W does not have spare/replacement bbl's any longer.

Best.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm planning to wear the blue off of this one. When it gets too bad, it'll go to Ford's and come back looking better than new.

Then I'll do it again.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Chubbypigeon,

A beauty indeed.

Just curious, why Job? Unless it is my biblical knowledge which is rusty, your example doesn't appear at all "afflicted."

PGM

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi chubbypidgeon,

Thank you for the great photos and you certainly own a "combat masterpiece" of a S&W revolver. I am partial to Galco Holsters myself and it is a fine piece of leather to carry your M-19 in.

Best,

Chris

·
Registered
399 Posts
That sure is a beauty you got there Cubby. I got me one but it a 4" model 19-4. I bought it at a gun show this past summer. It's found a home I can tell you that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love a man of discriminating taste in revolvers and carry equipment! Very nice indeed.
I carry an M19-3 nickel 2.5-inch gun in a Concealco IWB holster with Galco gunbelt. Mine has had trigger work done and has a very smooth pull. I don't know the weight.
The accuracy of these guns is phenomenal. I shoot mine in IDPA SSR class. Last Sunday I dropped just 10 points across the 5-stage course to rank second overall in accuracy amongst 70 shooters in all classes. Minimum rounds for the course was 50+. I carry WW Silvertips in mine and use Safariland Speedloaders. I am ALWAYS ON THE LOOK OUT FOR A 2.5-INCH M19 OR M66, OR A 3-INCH M66!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Chubby Pidgeon your model 19 touches my heart!! Thank's for taking the time to show us that dandy. I use gold dot 135 gr. for my J frame but I didn't know Spear mede a 130 gr. .357 mag for short barrels so I must get some for my 2 1/2" model 686 Mr. Smith. Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts