Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the early 90s I was working part time in a gun store to help pay my way through college (although it was tough not to spend tuition on guns). At the time, auto pistols were my consuming interest, especially the 1911. However, I decided that maybe I would get a revolver that I could have around the house that my mother and other family members would be able to use. So one day I was able to pick up a used 4" S&W mod. 10 .38 (early 70s vintage I think) that a guy had traded in on something else. It was doubtful that the gun had been fired much if at all. The finish on it was a nice deep blue without even the slightest wear. My boss was kind enough to give it to me for what he paid for it plus tax. It cost me a whopping $98.00. Nobody else in my family is really into guns so the mod. 10 pretty much just sat in my safe until the last year or so when I decided that revolvers really were pretty interesting. I found that my mod. 10 was a joy to shoot and a great way to practice my double action shooting. It was also very accurate and the .38 ammo inexpensive. I'm glad I bought this revolver even if it took me ten years to appreciate it. Thanks for listening to my ramblings. Anyone else like the 10?

·
Registered
321 Posts
KCII,

I too have a nostalgic spot for the old K-frame 38 spl from S&W. Yours looks to be a very nice specimen. The Model 10 was the Chicago PD revolver up here for years.

My personal favorite is the Model 15 (the so-called Combat Masterpiece), which is essentially a Model 10 with adjustable sights. It was a sad day for me when S&W discontinued the Model 15, as I never had the chance to acquire a new one (I missed my opportunity on too many occasions, thinking that another chance would come!). Like more than a few others on this board, I think S&W ruined the Model 10 with the key lock, but I suppose there are still some clean used ones out there to be had.

Although I am probably in the minority these days, I still believe the 38 spl (particularly from a 4" barrel) offers a reasonable compromise in the self defense department for a number of people.

Regards,

PGM

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello.

My first police service revolver was a Model 10 4" HB. (Wish I still had it.)

In my opinion, the 4" Model 10 loaded with good ammo can be a satisfactory defensive proposition. Less potent that full-house .357's? You bet, but with less recoil, repeat shots might very well be quicker and with more precision. More than one has stated that "one-shot stops" are somewhat rare and that multiple hits, the rule. IF this is true, might not some folks be better off with less power per shot, but more ease in shooting multiple ones? (The lesser degree of power being something like .38 +P from a snub, which the 3 and 4" versions easily exceed.

My current Model 10 HB has the round butt, but is not new enough to have the key lock. The fixed sights are "on" and it's a pleasure to shoot with any .38 Special load.

This old 2" Model 10 dates from the '60's. Still capable of single-action firing, the previous owner has removed the hammer spur. I assume this was for a more snag-free carry gun thats anticipated use was to be double-action.l

My latest member of the Model 10 family is a stainless Model 64 with 3" barrel. This one might very well be my favorite.

This little thing has proven a very nice carry package and offers ballistics very similar to the 4" version, at least between my two revolvers.

The Model 10 has proven itself a reliable design over not a few years, but decades, at least in its older versions. The K-frame should stand up to tens of thousands of shots and the revolver/cartridge combination is relatively easy to shoot and shoot well.

I like them.

Are they better than 4" revolvers in more potent calibers? Probably not assuming that the shooter can actually handle the harder kicking ones. Is the Model 10 with good ammo ineffective? Nope, not in my opinion. They're also lots of fun to shoot and people can relatively easily begin shooting small groups with proper practice.

Best.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
I like Model 10s.

That said... I had the opportunity to buy one a few years ago- nice old police trade-in.

This was a time when I had a Model 19 and therefore thought a .38 on a K-frame was a waste. How stupid I was. ::)

After my Model 19 failed to do what I wanted it to do I sold it, got a Taurus .38spl snub, and sold that before I even shot it! Dang.

Now... I'm lookin' at K-frame S&W's again, but in .38spl, with the L-frames reserved for the .357mags and what I expect of them. Hopefully I can find both as both are pretty rare around here. No demand, no supply. Almost exclusively autos.

Josh <><

G

·
My first duty gun was a Model 15, 4". Had to furnish my own and that's what a LEO friend suggested I purchase. It was eventually replaced by a Model 19 (also personally purchased). Both of them now live in my safe and will be passed on to my son.

I currently shoot and sometimes carry, a Model 13, 3". It is a fantastic shooter and I believe it's the best revolver I have ever owned. (It has made a pass through the S&W PC though ;) )

My home is shielded on all sides by woods and hard to find, so I don't get visitors. If there's a knock at the door, an always handy Model 19, 2.5" (I am an unashamed sucker for blue S&W revolvers) goes with me to answer the knock. Probably don't need to, since an 80 pound very protective Doberman goes with me, but the weight in the back pocket is comforting.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. Though I strongly prefer the blued guns, I do have a couple or three stainless ones. Those older S&W's, not to forget the Colt Python, had absolutely beautiful bluing.

Best.

G

·
Let's face it, if you don't have a soft spot for the K-frame .38 you must be some kind of Commie child molester.

Personally I've owned more S&W K's than any other single type of handgun. They fit just about anyone's hand very well, so I've used them to train I don't know how many people in revolver shooting when I was the president of the gun club at the University of Pittsburgh. I've never had one that wasn't at least as accurate as I, most usually moreso.

Here is a picture of the K-frame I carry/shoot most often, a 3-inch Model 65. When this picture was taken I'd removed the Tyler T-Grip for cleaning. Combined with the laminated grips from S&W, this gun handles well with 125-grain Remington 357M11 ammo.

Look for an update on this particular gun down the road, as I will be sending it to the Performance Center for a custom carry job.

G

·
Count me as another fan of the M10/M64, even if my only K frame at the moment is a 4" M15. Mom's 4" Model of 1905 4th Change M&P and Dad's 2 1/2" 19-5 were taken in a 2002 burglarly.

The circa 1915 M&P saw a hard life in a Dallas cop's duty holster before coming to my family in the 1960s. At some point it wore a lanyard loop (plugged) and was poorly nickeled. An issue number, 203 I think, was stamped on the butt, with 209 stamped on the accompanying holster. I'm glad the factory changed the hammer shape...you couldn't see the rear sight until the hammer was at least midway back.

Some great deals are still available...a buddy at NYPD recently bought a 4" M10 with department-installed lanyard loop and a 2" M36 from a retiring lieutenant for $75.

On another note, 3" M10s are still standard issue with the Victoria (Melbourne), Australia Police Service.

·
Registered
117 Posts
When my second department changed out from Smith-10's, I bought both that had been issued to me, a pencil bbl and a bull bbl, both the pined typed, found 2 Sgt types that whated to sell theirs and ended up with , a round butt and square butt 2 inchers, picked up a 3" round butt a few years ago,its a bull bbl model , and also have a 3" pencil bbl model that is supposed to have ben made for an overseas contract.

So yep you could say I like them

G

·
I like the M10. I have a 4" skinny barrel.

I very much like the K frames in 4". I have a M64, M13, and a K38. You just can't beat them for general purpose handguns.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
My first handgun was the Smith and Wesson Model 58 in .41 Magnum. It looked like a Model 10 on an N frame. I really miss it.
I recieved an email alert for J & S Sales that they have a batch of Model 10's available for $189.00 to $199.00 (used) and I am thoughtfully thinking of buying one. I have owned a 3" Model 65 (stainless version) several years ago and really liked it. It was marked Mass. State Police.

·
Registered
46 Posts
ALL HAIL THE SMITH & WESSON K FRAME!!!!!!DOUBLE HAIL FOR BLUED MODELS!!!!!!!!!!

My 13 yo brother loves to shoot my 4 in pencil M-10, and is quite good with it, too. First handgun he has ever fired, and in 10 or so miutes, cut out the X-ring in a B27 at 5yds.
Thats my buddy! :) That being said, my favorite carry peice is a 3in Model 10 with Remington 158 LSWHP+P.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My house gun is my 4" heavy barrel Model 10. I am very pleased with the way it shoots, and with 158 grain LSWCHP+P feel adequately armed. It's not fancy, but I like it.

I would like to find a 3" Model 65 like Mr. Camp shared with us. Or a nice used 3" Model 13 for that matter. I don't see myself buying any of the new ones with the key lock.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
The nostalgia has finally caught up with me...
I just recieved my monthly SOG flyer and it looks like Monday--I will be ordering a S&W Blue Model 10 with the heavy 4" blue barrel ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I to like the mod-10. I have several K frame Smiths. The 10, 64 and the one I shoot the most is a Mod-67 that has had the action cleaned up and is great shooter in double action. The K frame is great. I will be looking for a 3 inch fixed sight gun to round out the group.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I took out my pinned pencil barrel 4" square butt. Bought used - make that hardly used. Slightest wear from holster at muzzle, otherwise perfect. Blueing is about half gone from inside the barrel!

Have one of the last and heaviest barreled Police Positives made, and another with open ejector hanging under the tapered barrel. Even have a 4" M19 with perfect bluing outide and inside the barrel.

Model 10 or Police Positive, pencil or heavy barrel, you won't see workmanship like these again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts