Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Gun is Boring

After much difficult searching, I have recently arrived at the CZ-75 as my final choice of sidearm.

The example that I own has, since I bought it, had the trigger smoothed up a bit, first by some light polishing on my part, and now even further by mere use. For awhile, it wore a set of finely checkered Chocobolo stocks, but I have recently replaced them with the factory plastics; they just didn't fit my hand as well as the stock ...eh... stocks.

Stock stocks. Funny.

Anyway, the slide is currently at my gunsmith getting a set of meprolight night sights drifted onto it. Once they're on there, I have a strong suspicion that the gun will remain, ever after, exactly as it is.

I've considered getting Ford's to put one of their beautiful blue jobs on it, but I am of no inclination to fret that my hand print is now rusting into the backstrap when I holster it each morning. The factory finish causes me no such concern. This line of thought had me thinking, for awhile, that hard chrome might be a good choice, but I like black guns, and by all indications, the stock, matte black finish is plenty tough. I have NEVER seen a picture of a CZ where the factory polycoat was showing holster wear. What's more, I can repair any grievous scratches through application of black automotive touch-up paint.

This gun will look woefully plain and simplistic for the duration of its service life, and I am fine with that. In fact, I want another one, just like it, for a backup!

I have fallen in love with the CZ-75. It's darn near perfect for me as it comes from the factory. I can operate its strong side safety with my left index finger, so it is, for all intents and purposes, completely ambidextrous. The factory plastic stocks fit my hand almost perfectly. The safety is in the perfect spot for me to high-thumb it, and my left thumb indexes just ahead of the slide stop, directly on top of the roll mark there, which serves as a wonderful tactile indicator that my grip is either correct or otherwise. It feeds empty cases, and it fed four radically different ogives and OALs bone dry, box stock, limp-wristed, and unbroken-in. If this were not a strong enough indication of feed reliability, since then, I've hand-polished the feed ramp.

A gun from most any factory, equipped as this one currently is (clean, 4.5 lb trigger, slicked-up action, night sights, and basic reliability work) runs a little over a grand in today's market, yet I can replace this one for six hundred dollars.

It is the most boring-looking gun I have ever owned. No beautiful bright blue, uniquely burled stocks, or element of rarity is present. It is a matte black CZ-75B -- the most common police sidearm in the world, if CZ's website is to be believed -- with no readily apparent modification. There is nothing special about this gun, whatsoever, and yet I feel satisfied with it.

I can't decide if this is a step forward or backward for me. Time was I could only be satisfied with a gun if it was drop-dead gorgeous, noticeably different from others of its kind, and uniquely representative, at least in my own mind, of my personality. In this case, however, I simply do not care. Not that I don't still like guns that meet all of those specifications mentioned above, but in this particular case, I find it entirely unimportant.

It looks decent; not beautiful, but presentable. It fits and functions well in my hands, all of the controls being within easy reach, even one handed -- right or left. It points well for me, the old sights lining up easily, as will the new ones, presumably, since they are not significantly different from the old ones, dimensionally. Finally, the one distinguishing characteristic setting this gun apart from all other semi-automatic handguns that I have owned is the simple fact that it works. It behaves in a manner entirely consistent with the intended purpose of its design.

I love it.

Somehow, though, part of me misses being the hardcore idealist, who wouldn't let plastic be found on his gun, and who, furthermore, wouldn't let his gun be found forgettable. I must confess that at times, I look at this frame, plane and black and awaiting its reunion with the newly-sighted slide, and I wonder how I can be at peace with it. Then I pick it up.

"Oh yeah; that's how."

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. Go with what works for you and that you prefer. Nothing wrong with factory stocks or grips if that's what fits you best. Speaking for myself, I find that my "plainer" guns get more use than those that I've "gussied up" a bit. For a carry gun especially I believe that there's utterly nothing wrong with "plain but functional."

Best.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello Chubby,

I like CZ's factory 75B plastic grip panel's the best as well.

Take a look at these CZ's, I like the PI-26 down near the bottom, but, I'd still put the plain factory plastic panels on it. A pair of the PI-20's would make a very nice pair of carry guns. http://www.czub.cz/index.php?p=32&idp=6&ids=14&lang=en

Take Care.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Good thread & well spoken, Chubby. I never paid much attention to the CZ 75's that showed up from time to time-but my favorite dealer in 'older stuff' sold me a used CZ 75, not the B-no decocker. I bought it more for the very favorable price & reputation than because I wanted it. Went to the range & got hooked!Comfort, handling, accuracy,ease of take down,& melded contours together with the cocked & locked action began to sink in !
Long story short, 3 weeks later I bought a CZ 85 from him that he couldn't move quickly (not well known around these parts) at another real good price ! Then, finally, I went on the CZ web site & looked into the other models & spotted the CZ 75 Compact 2 tone. Told my dealer "get me one or else" & I'll give you the $ up front so you don't have to get rich on this one" ;) (He's already rich enough off me ::) I just received that one, but haven't had it to the range yet.
I believe I've been bowled over--this pistol is a sleeper & I just woke up! That's enough, back to looking for that next Hi Power. Weelll...maybe the CZ kadet in .22 ?? ??? Regards, G>M>F>

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mr. Chubby,

I think they is a lot to be said for "boring" especially when used with the 75B. I own 1.5 lol, 2 when my gunsmith finished his magic on the second one. I strongly suspect I will be owning 2 more shortly after that as well. Boring simply works well for me.

Mr. NCBubba,

If you get the Kadel Kit, I doubt seriously if you will regret it. Mine went with my 75B to the gunsmith NIB, and I am looking forward to be able to use it when both get returned. Right now he is making sure the two halves of the 75B and SP-01 play well with each other when I want to mate them.

Everything I have read on the CZ forum site about these kits suggest they are another sleeper item. Many folks claim the accuracy is superior to their target pistols. The remains to be seen for me, but I am looking forward to using mine soon. Unless your dealer will give you a good price on the kit, I got mine from Cheaper Than Dirt, and saved some decent money over what the factory wanted.

Enjoy them guys. I enjoy mine.

twoguns

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
I just got my CZ-75sa back from Angus at CZ. He installed a new hammer, sear, springs, sights and an action job with a 3lb trigger. I'll try and post pictures.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello Gib.

Please reduce the size of your photo. Photos can't be any larger than 640x480.

Thanks.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Chubby & twoguns: I'm red-faced! I bought the CZ Kadet (not the kit) & have already sneaked (snuck?) out to the range for 150 rounds or so. Pistol is great fun & no problems, except my fingers are sore from loading mags. Got to adapt a loader for this before I go out again. Kinda embarrassing when your friends think you only own Hi Powers (well almost that bad)

That makes 4 CZ's-I think I should quit now ::)
Regards, G>M>F>

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Sorry Bob- I'll resize it tonight.
Thats quite all-right Sir, and by all means, Please repost the photo when you get it resized.

BTW: Did you consider having the factory plastic trigger replaced with the factory up-graded steel trigger when you were having the work done?

Thanks Gib & Take Care Sir.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Gib's CZ doesn't look so boring for me. Great gun... what's that trigger? Thanks for sharing

L.
Larry, Gib has a CZ 75 SA, single action only model. The CZ 75 SA is just like the 75B, except it has a single action only trigger, extended beavertail, ambi-safety & the drop free magazine option. The 75's & 75B's can also be converted so the mags will drop free simply by changing the magazine break (spring) thats in the rear of the mag well.

Take Care.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
"BTW: Did you consider having the factory plastic trigger replaced with the factory up-graded steel trigger when you were having the work done?"
Mine came with the metal trigger and set screw for overtravel. I had Angus check to be sure.Lets try the pics one more time...

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello,

Thats great that it came with the metal trigger and I hope all the 75B SA's are coming that way now. It also looks better in black than silver, the black finish is what threw me, because all the metal SA triggers I've seen untill your's were silver.

Take Care.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
"the black finish is what threw me, because all the metal SA triggers I've seen untill your's were silver."

I asked him that when I gave him the gun and he said they come both ways. Now you got me wondering Bob.... When I go home tonight I'll look a little closer.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy folks,

I have been told that the new 75B DA/SA models are coming from the factory with the black trigger now, instead of the silver one. The black is the same one as on the P-01 and SP-01 from what I am told. I called the factory to determine if they offered a trigger akin to the short/curved Sig trigger for the 75B. I was asked if my trigger was silver or black, and said silver. He said ok, then the black will be like the curved Sig trigger. He did say the newer 75B were being made with the black trigger now.

So I bought one (black, P-01/SP-01) from the factory to replace the silver on my 75B 40. My gunsmith (Mr. Angus) has installed it while doing his magic. Still waiting on getting it back as well as the SP-01 he is working on and will sell me too.

Once I have gotten mine I will let you know if that is true or not, lol. I know we are discussing a DA/SA v SA, but I am thinking they might have made both trigger versions with the silver and then changed to the black triggers too.

twoguns

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
When I got home I took a magnet and put it to the trigger. It stuck to everything but the trigger! So mine is either polymer or alloy. I called Angus but he is out shooting in a competition until the 15th. The gun shoots awesome either way.

Gib

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mr. Gib,

Glad to hear you like the way it shoots. Angus sent me an email to confirm he had finished my 75B 40, and had been test firing it on his range. He merely said he had to admit he thought my trigger had turned out "pretty nice" which had me grinning. He knew this would be a carry for me (not to be used in competition), so we had agreed he would not make it too sweet while working on it. I am looking forward to shooting it soon. I am also looking forward to being able to meet him and do the paperwork for the SP-01 he is working on for me too.

I am betting that his "pretty nice" trigger will be an amazing one to me, lol.

Mr. NCBubba,

No reason to be redfaced, I started to buy the Kadet pistol too, and just decided to get the Kit instead. The only complaint I have heard is how hard the mags are to load. Someone on the CZ forum site had purchased and modified a specific magazine loader to work with the CZ mags and loved it. He explained how he made the mods, and they sounded fairly easy to make.

The next time I am on that site, I will try to find it, and send you a pm with the link. I think I will be buying the same loader and making those mods too. Most folks do say they think the mags are harder to load than they should be. But that is their only complaint, so I can live with that one too.

Enjoy them both guys.

twoguns

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Gents,

Good news concerning the short trigger. I'll have to add that to my want list. Right now my priority is getting a new safety that will work for me in the SA mode.

Wes

1 - 20 of 33 Posts