Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hy folks,

its me again. This days I was very busy in my job, and at the range, and now, I am writing you to comment my first national IPSC championship.

1. I survived the complete championship without being disqualified.

2. Lots of gun safety rules. It was extreme. You had to be very careful handling your pistol in the places designed for this. In the places to handle the pistols, you could not have or handle magazines or bullets. By bullets were understood live ammo, empty cartridges dummies or everything that looks as ammo. Some competitors were disqualified just because they placed a closed ammo box on the pistol handling table. Opposite was in the reloading areas, where you could handle magazines and ammo, but not put a finger in your pistol.

3. Sports media. This adds a lot of stress when you compete. It was harder to run a stage when you were filmed on TV, and you knew your performance was commented by the sports journalists, that talk too much as they were the greatest gun sports and guns experts in the country. Amazing all what they have to tell about pistols, ammo, reloading, stages construction, how you have to move with the pistol in the stage, and how they comment your errors, misses and penalties. I strongly recommend this guys as official trainers of the Olympics US firing team.
But I guess sports journalists are a pain in the $%&@ in most sport disciplines. Sorry to all journalists in this forum.

4. Public, and its expressions. Watching all what you were doing. Applauses were the good part.

5. Run, align sights, fire, make no safety mistakes, concentrate in the stage, forget cameras, public and officers was not so easy.

6. More than 250 shoots.

7. Exhausting.

[size=100:70rsn2gu]8. COOOOOLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT WAS JUST THE GREATEST THING IN WHICH I HAVE EVER PARTICIPATED.[/size:70rsn2gu]

9. I was not the best, and not the worst, I was one of the best in the lowest quarter of the list.

10. Good food, no drinks until the last shoot was fired, then some beers, and learned a lot.

11. The Bul Cherokee pistol: Not a single jam, not a single malfunction, worked as a swiss clock. I used original factory 9 mm 124 grains 9mm bullets.

12. The most important, Thanks everyone in this forum and all your comments, thanks twoguns and Chris for encouraging me, because in my country there are not so many competent trainers, and this forum is where I learn how to train. I am always reading all of your comments very carefully, and I have placed in practice many things that are commented here.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Iagbarrb,

Hello my friend, and congradulations for participating in your first ever event like that. I am very happy to hear your pistol functioned perfectly for you. As I have often told you sir, I have never fired in such an event, but I think for your first exposure to so much pressure, you should be proud of yourself at least three times. First for not being disqualified. Second for having no malfunctions, which even with a perfect pistol can still be caused by the operator. Third for doing as well as you did in the competition.

If I had competed I would be grinning if I had not been eliminated, did not cause a malfunction, and had placed last of all shooters (grinning). So to place even higher I think is something to feel very good about.

It is obvious to me that you approach competing much as you do a difficult surgery my friend. You think carefully about what must be done, and then simply do those things well. Now that you have this first major step behind you, you will have a much better feel for the things you can practice which will help you to prepare for the shoot next year. This experience will probably also help you to shoot better among those competitions in your local club as well.

One of the things as a shooter than I always enjoy is being able to help another shooter when I know or can suggest something that will help to improve their shooting. But since I have never been a competitive shooter I honestly did not feel that I could offer very many suggestions that would help you sir. Obviously Mr. Chris and others were able to do so, and I am very glad they could help out. I am sure all your fellow shooters who could offer suggestions will grin a bit when they have the chance to read your comments too. I think all shooters are always happy and willing to help a fellow shooter when they can do so.

From your words I think this will only be the first of what I hope will be many national competitions for you too my friend. Next year I expect to hear you were able to place even higher on the list of shooters, and each year a bit higher.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us here. Once again congradulations sir. Yes members here may have been able to offer suggestions and advice you found helpful. But you were the person holding the pistol and shooting the course - and doing both very well.

twoguns

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hy!

You might not fired competitively, but I am sure many of the stages in an IPSC competition are very similar than the stages constructed for training police officers.

I am waiting for a mail from the IPSC local committee, where the stages are described. There was one that was sponsored by Iberia, the flight company, that was similar to a situation in an airport room. Other that was similar to a hostage situation in a street, other an assault to an officer that was talking in a public telephone. As much as I can understand, main differences are the targets, that in IPSC that are not human silhouettes. So, even if you do not compete (what you should), your comments are very appreciated.

I will try to post the most important stages as pictures as soon as I have the files.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Sounds fun.
The biggest IPSC match I've attended was a state shoot almost ten years ago.
I shot terrible, but had a blast, so I can imagine what a really big one would be like.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello iagbarr,

Thank you for the kind words.

I am really very excited that you made your first major competition and I know that you worked very hard to get there! So, congradulations are in order no matter where you placed in the competition. The important point is that you competed and finished!

While I cannot speak for Mr. Twoguns, please know that we are very proud of your accomplishment and this is the start of many good things to come in the pursuit of your shooting hobby.

Again, congradulations!

Best,

Chris

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy folks,

+1 with Mr. Chris. Heck yeah, I am grinning like a kid standing inside my first candy shop when I read your post Mr. Iagbarrb and see your enthusiam and excitement at having competed and done so well my friend.

Keep at it, and we look forward to hearing how you are enjoying your local matches now too.

twoguns

1 - 6 of 6 Posts