Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. On Feb. 17, 1975, I purchased a 4" S&W Model 19 for my dad. He and my mother suffered a house burglary in which all of his (and mine that were still there) were stolen.
He wanted a handgun for home protection and preferred a revolver to an auto as he was not interested in handguns to any degree at all.

I coughed up the then princely sum of $160.00 plus tax and bought him the revolver shown below.

During the years that my dad owned this S&W, I think he only fired 6 .357 magnums through it. Though loaded for photographing, it does not stay that way.

The gun was bought from one of the finest old gentlemen it was ever my pleasure to meet and honor to call friend, Wilford Pierce. He ran an honest gunshop on the square in Denton. He died several years ago and though small in stature, his caliber as an honest, good man is high indeed.

A few years ago, my dad joined Mr. Pierce and the Model 19 came back to me.

This one stays unloaded and in the safe. Once every couple of years it accompanies me to Austin to recertify as a CHL instructor and now and again, it goes to the range, but it is sighted in for .38 Specials at this time.

Over the years, I've used different grips on this one, but recently decided to restore it to original configuration. I did slightly alter the contours here and there and then refinished the original S&W grips.

I think this is how it will stay.

When the time comes and hopefully that is a good way down the road, this one will go to my nephew.

It is a sentimental favorite to be sure and for that reason, it will remain in the safe most of the time. Similar Model 19's graced my police holster in the early years and I really like them, but this one's sort of special.

If any of you have any such sentimental favorite revolvers and it's not too intrusive, why not let us have a look or hear their story?

Best.

G

·
This is the Rossi Model 971. It's from the "Good Old Days" of Rossi before Taurus when they were Interarms imports. This is an excellent clone of a K frame S&W and the quality is quite good. The fitting is probably not as precise as a Smith, but this is a true bargain in handguns if you ever find one.

This was my father's trusty .357 Magnum companion, and a childhood companion for many years. I blame it for my fascination with revolvers and perhaps firearms interest in general.

It's the very first handgun I ever shot. I've had countless rounds through it. I would carry it to the end of the world with me.

I had thought it was lost to time until I went through some of my father's things and found it secretly packed away for a rainy day. I think I may have cried when I found it.

My father passed unexpectedly from this world November 26, 2005 at 49 years of age. A piece of cold steel is a poor substitute for a father, but the values imparted to me from my use and stewardship of it in my earliest years are something I'll take with me to my grave.

I always knew this gun would be mine to have some day, but that day came far too soon.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I do not have a Father's revolver. My father has always been a semi-auto kind of guy. However, I do have an Erma/Excam RX22 that has more or less made its way to me. It holds a very special place in my sentiments. For a long time it was my father's only handgun, but also it was the first handgun I learned to shoot, and still among my favorites. There is no doubt that in my mind, from me it will be passed on to my heir and passed on to their heirs.

I unfortunately don't have any pics today, but I will take some this week and get them posted.

Wonderful story Stephen, glad your Model 19 has served you and your father very well.

-Rob

G

·
SAC, I had my dad's Colt Detective Special for quite a while. This was his revolver when he retired as an Assistant Chief of Police in a midsized city. It was the pistol that taught me full loads from a snubby were no fun even if they 38 Specials. I got to the point that I could come very close to hitting a pistol target at 100 yards with this revolver. Alas, a burglar had more rights to it and needed it more than I did. To this day, I hope everytime he/she looks in a mirror they see a thief! Regards, Richard

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Mr. Camp,

I wish I did have one to show. Alas, I don't.

My grandfather had several WWII rifles and a single shot shotgun that were stolen. He still has an 1897 Winchester shotgun that I hope to inheret and a Jennings(?) .25acp that were with him when the rest were stolen.

Grandpa can shoot, but has always viewed firearms as tools and nothing more. Maybe hunting to survive during the Depression and then taking up arms during WWII did that? I know he had fun outshooting the other kids with his .22 as a teenager. They shot bottlecaps when having contests.

Grandpa may or may not have more firearms stashed away. I'm pretty sure the rifles were meant for each of the grandkids though -- IIRC, there were five of them and there are five male grandchildren.

Though I may not get any firearms when he passes I still have the legacy -- he taught me to shoot, using my guns. He taught me that speed wasn't everything after I blazed away at a pop can with my Ruger Single Six and hit it not once. Grandpa, already getting up there in years, took the revolver with tremoring hands, called the shot, and put the bullet through the bullet through the "O" in "Coke."

I like to think of that Single Six as Grandpa's. Unfortunately, I've only recently begun to think that way and traded it for another pistol that wasn't worth it, years back.

Josh <><

G

·
That is a fine firearm and a great memory you'll always have of your father and Mr. Pierce. My father died about 4 years ago, however he didn't share my fondness for guns. Having fought in WWII and assigned to work with anti-aircraft weapons, it surprised me that he didn't own at least one rifle or shotgun... oh well.

BTW, I have a S&W Model 19 Combat Magnum just like yours that I purchased in the mid-1970s from - believe it or not - Montgomery Ward's Sporting Goods Dept. At most, I have put 100 rounds through it a very long time ago.

It doesn't show up very well in this particular picture due to poor lighting, but here it is:

·
Registered
392 Posts
i envy the guys who have these kind of memories.

i will have to be the starter in my line.....and i hope im spoken of as well as you guys have done for your Dads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts