Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My S&W 65-5, changing as work is done to it.

Here's when I got it:

Hosted on Fotki

Then my gunsmith friend Sam Damewood did his magic, tuning the action and bobbing the hammer to match the profile of a 547 hammer:

Then it got some new stocks (thanks to RevChuck):

Hosted on Fotki

And now it's been bead-blasted (thanks to Gil for the referral):

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

It's done! :) What a terrific gun. And with the 180-grain handloads coming out of the 3" barrel at around 1230 fps, plenty good enough for anything I'm going to run into on a hike.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello Erich,

Outstanding work!!!

I really wish my M-65-5 looked as good as the one you had Sam work over and recieved the "frosted" bead blast treatment. It really did turn out nice.

Maybe, your posting this thread will be the incentive to get mine done!

Best,

Chris

G

·
B,b,b,b,b,b,b,b,but the case-hardening!

Couldn't you have had him remove the trigger and hammer, before the bead blast?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chubby - man . . . I told the guy where to hit. :-[ He just blasted it, though. :(

I'm still happy, but I have to say that was a bit of a shock.

G

·
CCH or not....very nicely done combat revolver.

Round guns flat git it. Never apologize to anyone for carrying a revolver...particularly that one..

Bob

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, gentlemen! :) I sure wish I could get it to the range, but the winter WX we've been having has this funny habit of coming on the weekends! At least it's safer for most folks that way - anyway, I'm looking forward to shooting the finished product soon. :)

·
Registered
645 Posts
Erich,

"WOW"
Sweet, do let us hear about the trip to the range. I love the look of a sharp looking revolver in the morning, what a way to start my day.

Thanks,

Papabear

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're so kind, Papabear. I'm going crazy with this snow-on-the-weekends business - it's been one month since I've been shooting! :'(

G

·
I'd have had to have asked for some of my money back, on that one Erich. I couldn't live with obliterated case hardening like that.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello Erich,

I am gratified to see that you took your revolver and turned it into a "true" working revolver and not a museaum piece that will languish unshot in your safe.

For some, we seem to be divided into "what did you do to your gun camp collectors" and those that "appreciate what a working firearm" is all about.

I've said it here before and I'll say it again, guns are tools....

When you get through the tough winter you seem to be having in New Mexico and get a chance to hike through those wonderful mountains and hills you keep referring to, I'd like to hear how your revolver fairs in your Custom Ted Blocker Holster as a deterrent to predators, both two and four legged with your 180 grain handloads.

When you get a chance, send me Sam's address and maybe I can call him and ask him to work on my revolver.

And yeah, I'll get mine matte bead blasted as well, because your's looks so good. (trigger, hammer and all)!.

Take care and let me know!

Chris

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Chris, I don't have his actual address anywhere around here, but I'll PM his e-ddress and phone #.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Erich,

I too really appreciate what you have done to make your fine weapon even better. I also feel your pain about your weather keeping you from shooting it too.

Maybe you just need to consider relocating too, lol. I have been in southern AZ since early 1998 and have only seen snow 6 times so far. Only once did it stay on the ground overnight, and it was gone by about 1000 the next morning. Amazing what a bit more west can do.

I know you have to be really chomping at the bit to shoot her. I recall taking my 2.5" model 19 and sending it off to be Metalifed years ago. This was long before Smith had elected to offer the revolver in stainless. That simply turned a great carry weapon in to the perfect one for me. They did the total refinish on mine too, except for real sight, which I never regretted. I wanted a functional weapon, and it truly was after their magic. Let us know your thoughts when you finally get the chance to shoot that pretty lady.

twoguns

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hopefully this weekend, my friend. I can live with the weather - since I grew up in the Midwest. Our summers are easier than yours! Mmm, and you have good Sonoran food down your way, too . . . Gina and I like to head over to Tucson just for the chow! :) (I hear they had an inch of snow there last weekend - last time that happened, Gina and I were there - Dec. 2004. People were acting the fool about it - very excited!)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mr. Erich,

It must have been snow on Mt. Lemon, which is not quite so rare here really. Or maybe in the more northern "burbs". It is sort of nice if you miss seeing snow on the ground to make the drive up Mt. Lemon, assuming they have not closed off the road for severe weather.

I do have to smile a bit to see some of the clothing that comes out here when the temp goes into the 20s (on one of those really rare days here). I feel like I am walking around a movie set for Nanook of the North or something (grinning). I grew up in NC and the winters here are much better than my first 30 some years there. All kidding aside it really is a dry heat, which I can live with during our hot periods. 115 here is not as brutal to me as 95 with east coast humidity.

My office is in Nogales, and I am only allowed to live in between there and Tucson, as they want me to be able to maintain a certain minimum response time back to the border. But still much better than how this southern boy would do living in Nogales, with an accent even some of my friends have troubling understanding at times while speaking English, lol. The only Spanish I speak is to tell you I don't speak Spanish and ask if you speak English. But yes sir, the food is a really nice plus in my neck of the woods.

Hope things clear up enough for you to shoot it fairly soon. Let us know your thoughts when you have the chance. Maybe some agency has an indoor range they will let you sneak onto???? I was surprised to discover a lot of U.S. Secret Service offices had an indoor range they had built in the basement of their federal building. I know you really have to be chomping at the bit.

twoguns

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This weekend looks great for shooting at the city range!

115 here is not as brutal to me as 95 with east coast humidity.
You ain't a-woofin', amigo! I've been in Tucson at 112

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Erich,

We can surely do that, just yell as you folks start to head west. We can go from there. But no offense, ya'll will be in my stomping grounds, so the eats will be on me amigo (grinning).

Good luck on shooting her this weekend. Keep us posted when you can.

twoguns

1 - 20 of 33 Posts