Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Ladies and Gents,

I was reading an article in an old gun magazine I have about moving while shooting.

The author suggested that the pistol must be held perfectly perpendicular to the ground in order for the shooter to be effective.

He went so far as to suggest using a hot cup of coffee held like a pistol while you're moving. Practice this until you keep from scalding yourself.

I say drink the coffee while contemplating exercises to figure out how you hit best on the move. After all, not all pistol holds are perfectly vertical; the BAT shield almost requires a 5-10deg hold and some instructors are now teaching this even without the shield, for close in ops.

Now and again you'll find me shooting from a horizontal "gangsta" position, though the stance I'm practicing requires it as it's upright to me (I'm bent at the waist).

What say you?

Josh <><

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Peter,

I can take a look, see what I can find on the 'net. Otherwise I'll have to dig out the magazine and scan it. Not sure that's 100% legal so I'll end up PMing it to you... again, if I can't find it on the 'net (public domain).

Josh <><

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Gee, I guess I have missed out on a lot :-/ I figured all you need to do is align the sights and press the trigger without disturbing the weapons index on target, repeating as required.

But then I always was a bit ignorant fo these things.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mr. H, that's what I thought... about the sight alignment thing I mean

Peter, I screwed up. It wasn't the BAT shield. Just the regular style shield. I had read two articles back to back and got 'em mixed up.

Josh <><

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Gents,
Sorry, I can't buy this "vertical" thing. Stephen was right. Apply the basics, no matter what position you're in and you'll get hits.
Went to several CQB courses and we shot while rolling around, on our sides, upside down, you name it. As long as you had sight picture/alignment and trigger control the hits were there.
Wes

G

·
That's what happens when gunrag writers need to meet a deadline. :)

Shooting & Moving is an interesting topic and one I've been revisiting lately. IPSC is good for teaching a smooth walk and shoot. I use to practice with a bottle of water (1/2 full) to watch my bounce.

My position at the moment is...
1. Run for cover and shoot first.
2. Shoot at a walking pace offline ( I close at a 30-45deg angle if I can) and hide behind a wall of lead.

G

·
I have found that is easier to shoot while moving using the strong hand only. A two handed hold fixes the gun more rigidly to your body and transmits all of the shocks of your movement directly to the pistol. Using stong hand only allows the pistol to "float" rather than be tied to each and every shock of body movement. You lose a lot of recoil control using only one hand, but I feel that the shock of movement is more damaging to your performance.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I do the two hand hold with both eyes open while moving. Of course it is on a course that I can see so I know where the next target will be before I start to engage it. Plus I'm always moving semi-circle and to the right. It is an indoor course at one of the ranges i shoot at.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Please help me understand. My English was not good enough this time. Sorry for this.

When you say the pistol must be perpendicular to the floor, you mean targeting the floor?

Last weekend in our local IPSC competition (No medal this time) There was a German officer that was targeting to the floor while moving. He was last in the competition. I think this was a very bad idea. Targeting the floor while moving is waist of time in competition, you might have to realign after each movement, and the results were there. He was last. After competition I asked him Why targeting the floor, and he answered me, that during training they have to target about one meter (3 feet) in front of the body because of security reasons.

At this moment, I completely disagree with this. If you target the floor you can make a hole in your feet if you make a bad step. I cannot see safety in this. If you run with your barrel parallel to the floor, and have your trigger finger in its safe position, you will be able to align faster, shoot faster, move faster, and be safe enough. Please tell me your opinions about my thoughts.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Iagbarrb,

I largely agree with you, as you also increase the potential risk of a ricochet if you should have an AD as well. The system I was taught has me walking with both arms fully locked in an isoceles stance, with the sights in front of my nose. My upper body funtions like a tank turret - where my eyes are looking the pistol is pointing. My finger is out of the trigger guard until I elect to make a shot.

If I were going to do anything else besides my system, I would be inclined to point the barrel upward. Maybe he is comfortable with his choice/decision, but I am not sure I would want to be on the range with him if I could avoid it either.

Just my thoughts, and others may have a different view. I am curious to see what others think of this too.

twoguns

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello Iagbarr,

I suspect the German Officer was trained to keep his weapon in the "low ready" position until it was time to take the shot.

Mr. twoguns is on the mark with his method and training.

Chris

G

·
Being vertically challenged, my pistol is rarely perpendicular to the ground when fired within "combat" range. I think it's highly irresponsible to advise someone to move with a cup of hot coffee in hand; 21 year old scotch would be safer and put more stress on you. Where did I put my pistol shaped cup?????

1 - 14 of 14 Posts