Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Welcome to the forum, pabill. I used to have the world's largest collection of mouseguns, just for fun. The Beretta 950 BS was my favorite. Nowadays, the Kel-Tec P3AT generally gets good power-for-size ratings - and function can usually be made to work.

But I don't actually carry anything smaller than a heavily loaded .38 Special nowadays. I've worked on almost 200 handgun killings and many non-killing shootings, and what I've seen on those cases makes me concerned about the penetrating abilities of a low-mass/low-speed projectile. If I were to carry a mousegun, I'd carry the most penetrating ball ammo that I could find and ignore the hollowpoint offerings (which seem to put "brakes" on the already marginal performance of these rounds).

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Maybe we need to define "mousegun" first.
I always thought it was anything .32 or .380 and smaller (and more specifically- the .22s and .32s), but I have heard a lot of people referring to Kahr and Rohrbaugh 9mms as mouseguns lately...for some reason.

Assuming you mean what I think of as a mousegun:
My two favorites (of the ones I've had) are the Beretta 21A and Walther TPh- both in .22LR. The Beretta was incredibly reliable and durable. The Walther had some reliability issues, and I still haven't shot it enough to say about it's durability, but it's big plus is accuracy. That little thing can shoot.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I thought about one of the NAA mini-22LR revolvers but never did it. I will not go lower than a 9mm P or 38 SPL and do not recommend anything lower. But I absolutely loved a Walther PPK/s in 22LR. A friend still has it. Either my Walther PPS or my ancient S&W M36 are my constant companion. I know those who go with less.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Welcome Bill,

I recently came into a Colt Vest Pocket .25ACP thats a great little shooter. Very small, but about as heavy as the S&W 342 Ti Airlite in .38 Special. There may be times when the VP .25 is carryable but the J frame isn't, so I intend staying competent with it. Did I mention that its a lot of fun to shoot?

I have a Beretta 21a in .25ACP also. Have had a 21a in .22LR. My experience with the Berettas is, they work great untill they don't, then its time to get a new one.

Except where required by regulation (on NC Game Lands during the closed season) I don't care for a .22LR in tiny autos. Rimfires are not all that reliable in them. The .25ACP and .32ACP are at least centerfires and will usually fire.

I finally found a reliable Kit Gun to carry on public lands here but its more of a belt gun. Would love to find a 2" Airweight one for less than a small fortune.

I mainly stick to J frame revolvers as a practical minimum for carry. The little .22 and .25 autos are a lot of fun though. I'm having a blast with the little Colt VP this week. :)

There's a thread on here someplace about the .25ACP.

[edited to add:]

Found the earlier thread:

http://handgunsandammo.proboards36.com/index.cgi?board=calibers&action=display&thread=1114330780

There's a lot more threads on .32ACP, .380 and the like in the ammo section.

Forgot to mention earlier that I sometimes carry a .32S&W Long or .38S&W snubby for rambles in the neighborhood. While the guns don't qualify as 'mouse guns' the calibers sure do!

[edits 3-5 to correct tpyos]

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
645 Posts
pabill,

Welcome aboard, glad to have ya with.

I shopped around for quite a while and landed on a Beretta 950BS in .25cal. For me it is very accurate out to 10 yds and easy to control. I only use FMJ for maximum penetration. I picked up this one for $165 with the 3 mags. A very generous member here sent me a neat little leather pocket holster for it, and it works great... ;)

papabear

·
Registered
649 Posts
Kel-Tec P32.
P32 here too...my EDC with Federal HPs. Have been debating the P3AT, but don't like losing one round over my .32.

Have had about 4 NAA MiniRevolvers... Three in .22 Mag and one in .22 LR. Am actually eyeing the Pug .22 Mag they came out with.

Also had a Iver Johnson TP22 .22 LR.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I found a Budischowsky TP-70 at a gun show a short while back. It's stainless and is double
action with a decock safety. I took it to the range with 4 boxes of ammo, and it functioned
flawlessly. I've had a Colt .25 give 1 or 2 malfunctions during that amount of shooting.
Now I need to find another stainless mag for it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Posted by BarryinIN on Jan 31, 2008, 3:41pm
Maybe we need to define "mousegun" first.
I always thought it was anything .32 or .380 and smaller (and more specifically- the .22s and .32s), but I have heard a lot of people referring to Kahr and Rohrbaugh 9mms as mouseguns lately...for some reason.

it won't be long until .357's, .40's, and .45's will fall into the "mouse" catagory. it seems, on forums anyway, no one will admit to carrying any thing less than those listed above, plus a 9mm taped to each calf with spare mags.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts