Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I got to digging around in my favorite gunstore's neglected stock and found these. I don't know if they're collectable or not, but I'd like to use them. He has a few boxes of both the shells and the bullets so I can put some back as collector's items. The boxes are in decent shape as are the instruction sheets inside.

This is what is needed to load these. The bullet is entirely primer-driven. Velocity is supposed to be approximately 500fps and can cause bodily harm out to 25yds.

The bullet is on the left and the case is on the right. A primer is first inserted into the case, then the bullet, which is just a plastic cylinder with a small hole for gas expansion, is seated on top. No tools are required.

Here are some specifics on the back of the box, along with the standard warnings.

I dunno. I've heard of this stuff and thought it was in the same sentence as "collectable." Regardless, I'm going to load a few. I also think I remember a member here having been shot with this stuff and it penetrated his skin. I'm not naming names or pointing fingers.

If they're no longer making this, it's a shame. It, and a M10 Smith & Wesson, would be perfect for introducing new shooters to the sport.

Josh <><

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I didn't know they quit making them.
I think they've been made in another caliber or two besides .38, like maybe .44 and .45, but the .45 was bullets only- you had to use regular cases with the flash hole drilled bigger.
But I may have that all screwed up.

I know Speer used to have a section in their reloading manuals that was about three pages long telling about how to use them, and had a drawing/plan for a bullet catching box to shoot at. I remember it said the point of impact would be pretty low, and showed a target with a seperate aiming point drawn above it.

There was another company making rubber bullets in at least .38/9mm size, and maybe others. Bull-X or something like that. I have a couple of boxes I bought from Dillon Precision. They were pressed into cases that had the primer flash holes opened up and primed.
I was going to shoot them in the garage in the winter, but never did.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I just checked. "X-Ring" made the rubber bullets, and apparently still do.
And Speer still lists the "plastic training components" under the "accessories" section of the website...Which I'm glad I looked at, because I didn't know til then that they sold copper plated 00 buckshot in little 285-pellet count boxes, so I don't have to order a big bag or jar of it to load just a few shells now and then.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy folks,

For anyone who might be interested I just checked Midway. They still sell the Speer plastic bullets (bullets only, as was noted uses real brass) and the X-Ring rubber bullets in .38spc, .44, and .45 calibers.

twoguns

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info gents.

While this is not the collectable stuff I may have been thinking of, it's certainly fun. I loaded up five of them and shot them into a bullet trap - the same type I've always used for catching BBs and pellets is what they illustrate, so I had one - and it's sufficient. These do not like snub barrels - all but one keyholed. They all stayed on target though.

Though I am a bit concerned about indoor air quality when shooting these, I don't figure that moderate quantities will hurt me.

Josh <><

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

I don't reload so I've never just popped off a primer - didn't realize how DIRTY it can be.

I paid $20 for 50 bullets, 50 cases, and 100 primers. Did I get taken?

Josh <><

·
Registered
321 Posts
Greetings gents,

I experienced a fair number of misfires with the Speer plastic cases/bullets in 38 special in my S&W 15 and 36. I eventually switched to the X-ring bullets with brass cases, and had no further problems, but you do need to enlarge the flash holes, and, obviously, you need at least a hand priming tool. It seemed to me that the fit of the "bullet" to the case was better in the case of the X-rings; in fact you needed to load the rubber bullet before the primer or sometimes you could not get the bullet to seat right because of the air trapped in the cartridge.

In any event, good fun - even Bill Jordan approved of indoor practice with wax bullets (he had to make them himself in those days)!

PGM

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Yes, a primer-only can leave a crummy mess. I was surprised, also. I had forgotten about that.
Not real quiet either in an otherwise empty case.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Yep, they made them in .38, .44 and .45 (the .45 did not have a plastic case you loaded them in the brass).

I dont know if they still make all calibers.

They shoot way low in a revolver.

Jim

·
Registered
112 Posts
I fired some of these in the mid-1980s and don't remember much about how they performed, but I do remember that they were a lot louder than I thought they would be when fired indoors.

Crash

1 - 10 of 10 Posts