Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and Gents,

I was almost attacked by a senior citizen a couple nights ago.

I went in to see a friend of mine working in a convenience store. She's really more like an adopted sister, being the sister of my best friend, and married.

While sitting in one of the booths drinking coffee, an older guy I'm aquainted with joined me.

He started talking about his pocket knife, Bruce Lee, etc. He couldn't remember the form Lee used so I offered, "You mean Jeet Kun Do, or Wing Chung?" He started talking about real world martial arts, and being a first instructor I talked with him. He seemed genuinely interested.

Then he had a mood swing. I mean, boom, suddenly he's up out of his seat, hand in the pocket with the knife, and announcing that I wasn't going to demonstrate anything on him.

Well... I never said anything about demostrating anything to him, on him, or doing anything in public period.

I decided it was time to leave. I have a degrading knee and running is not the easiest thing in the world to do. I told my friend to call the police if the guy got too awful bad.

I got some milk and walked out. He followed me! I sized things up and I decided retreat wasn't really an option at that time and place (I won't go into detail why, just trust me on this one). I turned, assumed the position and braced myself to take a few cuts while not feeling good about fighting this old guy.

Well, he turned and went back inside. I reported to the police what happened, and they told me that they were aware of this guy and were watching him.

Last night I did some asking around and more talking to my friend. The old guy left when I got there - it seems my display of force made an impression. (I had not seen him or I would not have stopped.)

He's been in prison for

Holding a gun on someone, years back, demanding a ride home while drunk

and other non-violent felonies.

I've made up my mind that I'm going to get a restraining order. He is jealous of any and all women who talk to anyone when he's not included in the conversation. He carries a pocket knife with the blade OPEN IN HIS POCKET. He's volatile and becoming senile (my grandpa died of this and I recognize the signs). He'll go off, swearing, if anyone makes him mad, no matter who it is or where.

The restraining order won't, of course, deter him from any action he may take. It will just show that I'm in fear of him and should I have to defend myself I'll have something on record besides just the police report.

But...

He's old. I took him for 78 at first; I found out that he's a real old 65. He's diabetic. He's not in good shape and will never be again.

In short, he's not a threat except for weaponry.

I don't hurt women, children or old people. Or, I never thought I'd ever have to, and I haven't... yet, and don't want to.

So, I'm facing a bitter old man who is a felon with a weapon, and the police are doing nothing (which is, of course, their perogotive).

I could be in danger, or he could be bluffing. I doubt my friend is in danger. What it seems like is he believes every woman he meets is automatically in the "Harem of his Mind." In short, property.

He really reminds me of the badass we all knew in school, suddenly thrown into an old body.

I'm going to try to avoid the old fool, but the way he gets around town it's not going to be possible to completely avoid him.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Josh <><

·
Registered
218 Posts
As you know Josh an old senile perhaps a tad crazy man can kill you just as dead as a yound man of sound mind. So be careful and follow your own advice. Do everything possible to avoid him.

Bert

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only reason I did not run the other night was because I had injured my already - injured knee.

Agreed, I'll stay away from him. It does seem however, that he's going over to my "adopted sister's" house. Her hubby is a martial artist as well as former military, and they have a loaded gun in every room of their home. They both know how to shoot - I taught my adopted sister before she even met the guy.

Thanks Kellar. I've never thought about an old dude scenario!

Josh <><

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an update: The man's in jail now after going after the wrong person, the female friend of mine.

She was not hurt, did exactly how I taught her, called the police, and had him taken away.

But I keep thinking about what if I had went ahead and dropped him. She would not have had to deal with him a month or two later, and he would have been going up against a 6'2" armed man (me) instead of an unarmed (except for a bit of karate and kickboxing I taught her) 5' girl who maybe weights 100lbs wet.

At least he's gone.

Josh <><

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Josh,

I sent you a long pm on this post. But the short version is that I think Kellar made an excellent point. I buried a close friend of mine years ago, because he refused to process/accept the fact the juvenile with a gun was a valid threat to him as a LEO. It does not take size, age, sex, race or physical condition to pull a trigger Josh.

You say your mindset is not to hurt "females, kids, or old folks" to paraphrase. You sound like a real gentleman, so let me offer a suggestion. Take you statement and ADD ... unless they are trying to hurt someone else or me. Then they made that choice, and I will have to make mine in response.

Short version, do I think you were wrong for not taking him on in the parking lot - no sir, I don't. His threat would be accepted by a jury much more readily when his victim was a 5' tall, young female, than it would have been against a 6'2" martial arts trained young buck. Hopefully his sentence will be more severe for her than it might have been for you as well. The average judge would be more offended he picked on "sis" too I think.

Were you wrong in not taking him on - no sir. Would you have been right to have taken him on - maybe. But fortunately it worked out as it did, without "sis" or anyone else being injured in the process.

Personally I think if the local cops who knew of him had simply done their job, which to me is legally finding a reason to get him off the streets, neither you nor sis would have had to deal with him to begin with. Just my opinion, but I fully believe that too.

twoguns

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
As you know Josh an old senile perhaps a tad crazy man can kill you just as dead as a yound man of sound mind. So be careful and follow your own advice. Do everything possible to avoid him.

Bert
A quote I read someplace goes:

"Never get in a fight with an old guy; he's got less to lose and knows all the tricks you've not had time to learn yet."

Throw 'crazy' into the mix and you have a lethal combination.

Stay safe.

Regards,

Pat

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you to all who replied. I've also not had time to answer each PM as college is taking most of my time. I do apologize.

Here is another scenario that happened a week ago from yesterday:

I got home at 11:00 p.m. I looked in the fridge and saw that I had no milk left, and I went to get some after getting dressed again. About a mile from my house I hit a deer. This was at 12:08 am (I know 'cause I took pics immediately afterward of both deer and truck - almost no damage to the truck). While the deputy was processing my possession permit I ran home to get the pickup as we're allowed to keep deer we hit. While getting the pickup I heard sirens go flying past my house.

I got back to the deer and the deputy was gone. I called the WCSD dispatch and they gave me permission to go ahead and take the deer, and that the deputy would be by a bit later.

Well, a couple hours passed and the deputy finally showed. She gave me my license, registration, and permit to possess back, and then we got to talking, which I didn't mind 'cause she's a cutie. Seems that she responded to an armed robbery at the convenience store I was headed to. The robbery took place at the exact time I would have been there, and it would have been a bit hard to comply with the "give us everything" deal when I was armed with two handguns and two reloads.

Soooo... I avoided a shootout, got to have a nice conversation with a cute deputy (they're making them young these days!) and got some venison in the freezer all for a cracked grill.

The owner of the convenience store has been held up at least once a year for several years now (just found this out) and has inadequate security measures, so I no longer shop there. I offered my services as a security guard, was turned down flat, and besides protecting myself by avoidance, he doesn't get free security anymore.

Strange county.

Josh <><

1 - 9 of 9 Posts