Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. At the same time that I bought a NIB Model 14, I also bought a Model 64-1 4" SB revolver in like new condition. It had been shot very little and served as a bedside gun for a while before going to the previous (original) owner's safe.

I shot perhaps a hundred rounds through it and was more than a little surprised at how perfectly regulated the fixed sights were for me with a couple of loads, one being Remington's 158-gr. LSWCHP +P.

Took the thing out a few days later and was blazing away with Winchester USA 130-gr. FMJ ammo when it began to lock up. It was a timing issue. The cylinder stop was not dropping far enough to let the cylinder turn.

At the bench, I disassembled and checked for any burrs, weak springs, etc and found nothing. Reassembled and the same problem existed so I took it to a gunsmith who happens to live a couple of miles away. A week or so and $25 later, it's working fine.

This one will probably be a frequent companion and loaded with a hard cast SWC to about 870 ft/sec or so. Though I much prefer blued handguns, I also appreciate the corrosion resistance offered by the stainless steel revolvers.

With each passing year it seems that older S&W's are getting harder and harder to find. To me, these things are like nice Hi Powers or 1911's: almost impossible to pass up.

It is "just a 38" but in a proven design and I like the "just 38 (Special)" cartridge quite a bit for many tasks including having fun.

I hope to do a "range report" type post with this one in the near future.

Best.

·
Registered
361 Posts
A great .38 that is configured just right for shooting. I too like the "just .38. It's underrated, especially when handloaded. I've always preferred blued handguns but have considered picking one of these up to compliment my Model 10 HB.

I'm curious about the problem you discuss that you didn't uncover. I'd like to know what the gunsmith did to remedy it.

I always like to read your range reports so am looking forward to one on the Model 64.

I think it's a shame that the .38 Special has been relegated to small framed revolvers in the current new gun market. It is a natural in a K-frame and a belt sized .38 Special is one of the most useful and pleasing handguns to shoot.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello. He had a shop full of folks when I was there and was pretty busy but said something about the hand being but a few thousandths too long and trying to turn the cylinder before the stop could drop. He advised that it took but a few file strokes and light stoning to solve the problem. The cylinder locks nicely and before the hammer drops so I think he did the right thing. I can usually diagnose and fix some things with Hi Powers and 1911's but I do not trust my ability to work on revolvers...with any expectation of success.

Best.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mr. Steve,

Another nice find sir. Nothing wrong with just a .38 to me either. I need to increase my gun hunts a bit more too I think. You are right, these classics are becoming harder and harder to find, at least in my neck of the woods. I have had my buddy looking for a decent pre-lock L frame .357 mag for me, and he says he will get one, the only question is when.

They are rarely found in his store, and hardly have the ink dry on their price tags before they have been purchased. Most of the folks who own the pre-lock Smiths in my area have simply elected to hold onto them. I can't blame them a bit either. Now that Gary knows I want one, he will throw the next good one in his safe and call me. But they simply do not come in for trade or straight sells more than a couple of times a year it seems.

I do not consider myself an "expert" by any stetch of things working on a Smith revolver. But I have spend many hours tinkering inside their lockworks too. In my experience when a Smith gets out of time like that, more times than not it is the hand causing the problem. Sounds like your Smith did exactly what the patient needed. He sounds like a good doc so you are lucky to have him so close to you too.

If he get bored with TX please give him directions to AZ (just head west on I-10, lol). Unless you were given some type of discount on his work as well, his prices are very reasonable compared to what many in my neck of the woods would have charged for the same work. Far too many out here have a minimum $50 bench fee just to try to diagnose the problem - which seems a bit much to me really.

I do look forward to your range report when you have the chance.

twoguns

G

·
I carried one of those as a duty gun in 1991. Great weapon loaded with the 158gr +p lead hollow-points. I think they were going for 180.00 in 1993 when we sold them to switch to Glock 19's.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Them old .38s just keep on going. I load for the .38 and enjoy shooting them all the time. Sounds like you got a great deal on it Mr Camp. You are so right about these old guns being hard to find. I take everyone that I can afford so that's not to many. Enjoy and good shooting.

Best Baldy

·
Registered
392 Posts
the "stainless model 10s" as some old timer i knew called them are top notch guns.....but isnt every K frame .38spl?

i have a 2" and a 3" model 64.....am trying to locate a 4" at a reasonable price.....

·
Registered
392 Posts
what i meant was "isnt every K frame .38spl a top notch gun"?

i guess i should have written it more clearly the first time....

i am all too aware of the K frame magnum and special designations.

i am not a K frame magnum fan due to thier alledged fragility with the load as it was designed....(weak forcing cone issue and all that jazz)

but thanks for input just the same.

G

·
Yes, any Smith K-frame revolver is a top-notch handgun.

And, yes, the K-frame wasn't the optimum platform for the .357 Magnum cartridge, which is why .357 K-frame revolvers are no longer with us.

·
Registered
392 Posts
i just picked up a 64-3...now my model 64s include a 2", 3" and now the 4".
i just love those non-locked wheelys......

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello Jerry,

Sir, your photo was way beyond the 640x480 size limit. Feel free to repost it, but, make it no larger than 640x480.

Thanks,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts