Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.Is there a difference in recoil when shooting a heavy barrel vs. a skinny barrel model 10?Is a heavy barrel easier to shoot rapidly?Does it have less recoil? Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. There is less tendency for muzzle-flip due to the extra weight up front. It has been years since I shot a "pencil bbl" Model 10 and only owned the heavy bbl models so I flat don't remember if the difference is much or meaningful.

Best.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Best I could ever tell, using 148 grain wadcutters you could barely tell the difference. With 125 or 158 gr. +P JHPs the heavy barrel is noticeably easier to control when trying to get a tight group at speed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Mr.Camp.I have been thinking of getting one for my wife and myelf to use and once in awhile she has a problem with the strength in her hand and arm.Nothing too major but I wondered if it would make a difference.Thanks again and by the way,this is a nice site,Phil

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Brian.Thats what I was wondering since 158gr lhp is what a lot of people recommend.Phil

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I own a 10 M&P .38 with 4" pencil barrel and a 65 M&P .357 with heavy barrel (the guns have the same small magna grips): the lighter 10 has more muzzle flip than the 65 when shooting normal .38. But the recoil is far from punishing, the recovering time is just slightly longer. I feel that grips make more difference than barrel profil in .38.

Bye.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Larry.My skill level is very low in rapid fire anyway but I thought maybe heavy barrel might be easier.Mainly thinking it might be easier for my wife to shoot because of her problem with her hand and arm.[It's not real bad,but might make a difference to her].Thanks for your reply.Phil

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I've not noticed any major difference in recoil between differing barrel weights in 4" M10's. The lighter ones are harder to hold on target, in my hands.

I'm not much of a speed shooter though.,...more of a plinker. :)

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pat,
Thanks for your reply.I am not a speed shooter either.When I asked about rapid fire I just thought that might be one way to compare the two.By the way,I hope no one thinks I'm asking which is the better gun.I like both and was just wondering if the HB might be easier for my wife to shoot.
Years ago I had a pre model 10 M&P with the pencil barrel but never had the heavy barrel model.I wish I had kept the gun.Phil

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Heh! I hate letting go of old guns. (used to have a decent collection of Ballards)

If the weight isn't too much for her I'm sure the heavy barrel will be easier to hold on target. If its too heavy for her, then its too heavy.

Anyone you know nearby have one you can borrow for a bit? Rentals at a range might be an option also.

The recoil will be reduced somewhat, of course, with less muzzle flip due to the increased moment of inertia.

Regards,

Pat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts