Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any owners want to share their opinions/experience with the mod. 40? I'm a big fan of "hammerless" J frames. I think the steel J frames are a bit heavy for pocket carry. Perhaps a mod. 42 would be the way to go?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I have a 40 and like it OK, in spite of its having seen better days.

The grips safety proclaims you to be 'old skool' and the cool looking original high-horned grips actually work OK without a grip adapter. This is good as at least some of the original Centennials don't accept standard J frame grips without modification.

The 42 is old enough that it falls (for me anyways) into the 'no way +P' category rather than the 'maybe once in a while' group of later models.

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello huntershooter,

I carry a S&W 642 daily. I can't say enough about them.

I've tried carrying my M-60 1969 stainless steel J-frame, but the weight is very noticeable compared to the airweight.

If I could buy another airweight/concealed hammer, I would in a heartbeat. As the trigger is getting "worn in" on mine, the accuracy level keep going up and up.

Chris

G

·
In response to your thread about the 40: Soemtimes they can be weighty. I feel the real serious weight problems come when you get into the 640s, and such, in .357 mag. I'm sitting here with an AMT DAO in .45acp in a Mika pocket holster in my pocket and hardly know it's there by weight alone. In news from the recent SHOT Show S&W is bringing back the 40 WITH the "Lemon squeezer" grip safety in 3 finishes, including case-hardened. All mentioned handguns, especially the lightweights, are great to carry. IMHO. Thanks; Alan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts