Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 6" 27-2 (95%). I've looked for a 6" ( to go with other barrel lengths I own) for quite a while. I intend to shoot this as a "range gun". Any positive experiences with accuracy of this revolver? My thanks.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I originally purchased my Model 27- 2 6-inch as a gun for Hunter Pistol Silhouette competition in 1981. It is very accurate with most any 158 grain jacketed bullet and full charges of H110 or 2400. I think the .357 Magnum finds its best home in the N-Frame Models 27 and 28.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. I agree with the previous poster's comments. The N-frame is just a pleasure to use with 357's at the range or in the hunting field. Sadly, I only have one M27 now but think that they are revolvers having lots of charm.

I do not recall having shot an inaccurate N-frame .357 Magnum.

Best.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Congrats Huntershooter on getting one of the finest revolvers made IMHO. You can shoot full house .357s all day long and the accuracy is great. The six inch barrel is a well balanced hunters dream. The 8" models are good too but for me they are a little awkward. Good shooting.

Best,Baldy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Greetings.
Congrats on your S&W 27-2. I agree with the previous members and their assessment the there are 'none finer' than N-frame revolvers.

My M27-2 is of the 3.5" bbl variety and its a honey...........

Enjoy yours!!

Regards,

G

·
:)The S&W model 27 is my favorite revolver. I purchased my first model 27 in 1974 while in college for $250. It was a 5 inch blue, target hammer and trigger in a presentation box. Regrettably I had to sell it during a divorce in 1996. I now have a 5 inch 627 with unfluted cylinder and a 6 inch Jerry Miculek 627. I would love to have a 3.5 inch, 5 inch and 6 inch blue 27. Can't say enough good about this model. I like it!! :)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The 27 is probably S&Ws best made wheelie (alsways wondered why they did not put that kind of work into the 29).

I have a pair of 5" 27's which both shoot well and I started my serious handgun hunting with an 8 3/8" 27 - it thought it was a rifle!

Jim H.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
huntershooter-
Great find. I have 2 27 's both 31/2" but only a 28 in 6". Once again, great find.
Gib

G

·
I have had a variety of 28s in 4 and 6" over the years. Even had a 4" converted to .44 Special. I just got my first Model 27-2 5" from auction last week for about $540. Excellent condition. Been looking at them for years but most were priced a lot higher than this. I was in the right place at the right time on this one.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I worked up a load with AA#9 and a 180 gr. WFNGC from Cast Performance. At 50 yds. benchrested, I had three, six shot groups under 2.5". Best was 2.2", worst 2.5". That is as good as I can see with iron sights. I shoot six shot groups with a revolver because I want to know what the worst rd. will do out of the cylinder. A five shot group always leaves me wondering how much that sixth rd. might have opened up the group. I am a happy camper with this 27.

G

·
I have a 6 inch 27-3 that I found about a year ago for $220. It's a very nice gun, especially with .357 magnum rounds. Well made, fine-looking, and more accurate than I am.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Adguy,

No sir, its not from the Performance Center.
Mine is a 27-2 (1974 vintage)......... and one of my favorites!! As Mr. Camp stated "I do not recall having shot an inaccurate N-frame .357 Magnum."

Regards,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts