Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a M22 Smith this A.M. Took it apart when I got home to do a trigger job (primarily polish parts, dress hammer spring & see how it looked). I haven't bought a new S&W in going on 15 yrs. I was stunned to see all internals are MIM parts. Wish I'd kept all those old S&W parts. It did clean up OK but, God I love it when nothing changes.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Those old S&W hammers and triggers probably wouldn't fit anyway. The older cylinder stops and rebound housings will work, however.

I miss the hammer nose firing pin and case hardening on the hammer and trigger.

Let us know how it shoots. I think a 22 might be in my future. At least I hope so.

G

·
I've had my 22 down on the range several times already and I like it a lot. I highly recommend some Pachmayrs on it. Mine seems to like 230gr Gold Dots. It's very easy to hit with. Considering that rather rudimentary sights, that's something.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shot the "22" today.From what I had read, my concern was POA/POI. My revolver is in the 900 serial # range-the elevation was on, right on top of the front sight, .5" right at 12 yds. (this is my max. range at my office). The front blade is .125' thick/wide. I have virtually NO daylight between front and rear. I'll mill to .095" and adjust for minor windage issue-take .020" off left and .010" off right sides. Using 230 gr. Win. (SXT) bullets, Starline brass, Win. LP primers & 8.5 gr. HS-6 (870 fps from 5" 1911) I got 1"-1.25" 6 shot groups @ 12 yds. Lighting is awful, I'd expect this revolver to shoot 2" @ 25 yds. All told I'm pleased-revolver locks up tight, forcing cone to cyl. is square (.006" gap), finish is better than most newer S&W's I've seen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts