Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

As mentionned in another post (S&W 3913/908), I became interested in a S&W 469 at the range's showcase. After shooting it pretty extensively, I was convinced by the accuracy and handling of the "Minigun" and adopted it.

This exemplary is in very good shape, with few rounds shot and very limited marks on the frame rails. The number TAM59xx indicates 1986 manufacture. Manufacture is not on par with the bests (Beretta, SIG, HK or Walther): the blueing is still 99% but appears thin and doesn't cover some light tools marks. I would rate it in the same class as CZ and FN and but over Taurus.

I really like the fact that this gun was the first production incarnation of custom concepts like the ASP and Devel. The capacity (12+1) in a compact package (the grip is really thin for a double stack mag) is a practical combo. And the sights, even if the rear is a strange affair, are better than my first impression was.

The trigger pull is soft in DA, with a very short reset to SA. I like the bobbed hammer - smart for a carry gun. And already tried to get rid of the right safety lever... to find that metric hexa keys don't fit in US hexa screw heads.

My only - and serious - concern is that I read that 469/669 were infamed for frame cracking. Mine has not shot much and I have already ordered stronger recoil spings and buffers. Hope it will suffice...

Bye.

L.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello Larry,

Congradulations on your purchase! It does indeed sound like you bought an excellent concealed carry handgun!

I would suspect that much of the frame problem is derived from shooting hot loads in the 469 handgun, i.e. +p ammo here in the US. I doubt that your's was subjected to the same abuse.

Let me know what key sizes you need and I'll be glad to drop one in the mail to you.

Chris

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Larry,

Congradulations of your new find too. I agree with Mr. Chris about the ammo probably being the cause of cracked frames in this model. Although I am not really sure it was as much of an issue as some folks may claim it was/is too Larry.

My agency issued the 6906, the 3rd gen or your 2nd gen pistol, and I attended the Smith auto armorer's course to learn to maintain them. There is really very little difference between the 3 generations of Smith pistols, with the exception of a part or two, all of them take the same parts.

We used our 6906 pistols for nearly 10 years, and fired a lot of Winchester 124 FMJ Nato loads, and various standard pressure and +P JHP loads through ours. In all that time, I can not recall the first cracked frame in any of our pistols. We replaced our simply because we had them for over 10 years, and decided it was time to buy a newer pistol.

We were not having any functioning problems with ours after some fairly extensive use. Our qualifications, done of a quarterly basis, usually involved something like 500+ rounds through each pistol, including the tactical courses we required above standard qualifications. So I know most or ours had something like 20,000+ rounds through them, and were still functioning well.

When I attended a two week gun school, I watched another instructor from my office put at least 10K rounds through his 6906, using +P JHP issued ammo and Nato 124 FMJ loads. Beyond needing to be cleaned in mid afternoon to solve dirt related functioning issues, the pistol ran like a champ. Even my 4506 needed to be cleaned at around 800 or 900 rounds each day. That did not bother me at all, as I have never had an 800 round shooting situation yet, and do not expect one, lol.

So I simply am not real sure the concern you have heard expressed is really something to worry much about. If you like night sights on this pistols, they have two different styles by Trijicon. One is for the original smaller/thinner rear sight, and the other for the newer, larger rear sight. Just make sure you purchase the correct model sight, as the larger one would require the slide be milled out to accept it (if your pistol has the smaller, thinner rear sight notch).

Enjoy sir, as I think you will get a lot of use out of your 469. The Smith autos in my opinion are not as "attractive" as many other more expensive pistols, but to me they were built like tanks too.

twoguns

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. I liked the 469 from the moment I saw one, but never owned one. I sure wanted one for a few years, though.
As soon as I saw the thread title "minigun", the 469 was my first thought.

I thought they were pretty popular here for a few years, then it seemed like all of a sudden they weren't.
Maybe it was the frame cracks you mentioned, which I had not heard of before.
They used to be in the used gun counter semi-regularly, but they also dried up rather suddenly.

I wonder if the introduction of the 3913 helped to kill it.
I know I pushed aside thoughts of getting a 469 (or 669, or 6906) when the 3913s started appearing, and I wasn't alone from what I hear from others.
I did eventually get a 3913 (and later, a second) but I thought the 469 felt better in my hand. Any 3913 trigger felt better to me than any 469 I tried, so there must have been a change made there (I can't recall).

I remember that every test I read of the 469 talked about how accurate it was. Most said they shot as well, or better than, S&W's full-size 9mms.

I also recall one magazine's photo spread showing the 469 and a row of 13 rounds of Nyclad hollow point 9mms. A 469 and 9mm Nyclads- two things that are hard to find today.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the very informative answers. I don't take that frame cracking story to serious as I also have a LW Commander that is notorious for cracking if you hear from some expert. The 469 will receive the same treatment: extra-power recoil spring and buffer. The parts are already ordered.

These S&W autos might not be as fine as SIGs or Walthers but they seem a little underrated, especially on this side of the big water. Maybe a result of S&W "gun of the week" policy and cooperation with the Clintonista.

I'll keep you informed.

L.

G

·
The (lightweight) Colt Commander has a tendency to develop a crack between the square slide-lock lever cut-out on the left side of the aluminum-alloy frame and the frame rail with heavy shooting, but after the crack develops nothing else bad occurs so I don't believe that it's a major problem.

Probably uncommon in Europe, the Smith DA/SA autos "owned" the law enforcement autopistol market over here from the early 1960's until their marginalization by Glocks, Sigs, H&K's, Berettas and such starting in the early 1990's. Although I have little personal use for DA/SA service autos (considering them bureaucratic solutions to perceived liability issues), you can't ignore their historical significance in the post-war LE community here. Like others have posted on this forum, they were durable, dependable and unerringly reliable autos.

The Smith & Wesson upper management that "cut a deal" with the detestable Clintonistas during their reign of terror here were drop-kicked out of the company when Smith & Wesson was sold to their current owners a few years ago. Too bad.

Smith & Wesson's profligate and frequent introduction of new models for some number of years now is probably due to: 1. Their aggressiveness in the marketplace to fill perceived market niches and offer customers what they feel will sell well, and 2. their wholesale adoption of CNC (Computer Numerically Controlled) machinery which allows them to quickly and cheaply design, develop and produce new models. They are, by far, the pre-eminent handgun manufacturer over here now.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Hiya Larry,

I had a 669 for a good while. With a good shooter holding it (not me!) it would hold a dozen rounds inside two inches at 25 yards. Thats adequate.

It NEVER missed a beat. Probably the only pistol I've owned that could claim that. It worked ALL the time, EVERY time, with the most gawdawful diet of junk ammo, reloads and surplus. My experience seems to be typical rather than the exception.

The grip never suited me and I never could get used to the DA/SA transition but it always WORKED!.

I'm still goiing to grab a 3913 someday. :)

I think some of the models they came up with were in answer to a specific contract requirement for certain combinations of features and that it be a 'standard' model. Easilly done with modern manufacturing technology.

Regards,

Pat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts