Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting thought, Like alot of concealed carry people I have gone back and forth on comfort concealability and firepower, My last criteria went to at least 10rds 40S&W, frame mounted up safe down fire safety, 3.5-4" barrel weiging around 26 oz or less, ended up with a Beretta 9000S because it was there and really cheap from a guy wanting something else. Now this gun has proven reliable and accurate if I take my time but it has a crappy trigger long rest etc etc, But it occured to me I wouldnt even consider shooting it in IDPA or IPSC match. Why you ask? because I'd get my butt kicked and I am pretty competitive, so why am I trusting life and limb to a weapon that I wouldnt play a game with ? Hum makes me wonder.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
The best tools for playing games aren't always the best weapons. Some are pretty useless as weapons though they may suit the rules of that game.

If the Beretta works for YOU in realistic training scenarios, don't worry about what it would do in IPSC.

If you feel IPSC/IDPA are realistic, then you prolly would feel more secure with a tricked-out racegun. :)

Regards,

Pat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I do shoot IPSC with tricked out racegun, but originally I shot IDPA with a Browning Hipower in tuned but stock configuration, then switching to a 1911 Commander 9mm. With either gun I am way faster and more accurate than I could ever be with the 3.5 inch Berretta, It's only advantage seems to be concealability and weight.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Sorry....that last line was somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

The games DO teach you to shoot fast and accurate. They also put you into a 'groove', where the setup may change somewhat, but you still are basically doing the same thing the same way again and again. Repetition makes for good learning of the basics.

Use the games for what they teach best. (plus they can be FUN)

Regards,

Pat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts