Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

You'll remember the M-29 I purchased a while back. A real honey. I am considering having it Metalifed in deference to Oregon's rather rainy conditions. The blue is almost perfect, but I can't bring myself to carry it in the woods....it deserves better. Your comments? Had a M19 Armaloyed years ago and loved it.
I suppose "Black T" would be another option.
Have I gone "around the bend"?

Wes

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
A gun is like any other tool: if you can make it better or make it work better, you do it. That's my opinion, at least. I think a hard chrome such as Armolloy would be fine (assuming Metalife is something of that sort). This is a case where I'd choose that over Black T for reasons I won't go into.

If it's a 29-1 or -2, I'd just leave it alone, however, due to collector value, but when you come right down to it, all MY guns are shooters, and unless there's some vested interest in keeping them all original, I'll refinish them if the true need arises. In the final analysis it's your call, based on your needs. Personally, if I was that uncertain, I'd back off for a while and carry the gun as is. If you clean carefully and keep it in a full coverage holster while out in the boonies, it'll remain nice looking for a very long time.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sir Wes it,s a shooter i would not hard chrome it had bad times with h/c on guns in the past . There are a lot of good gun finishes on the market now" just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Wes,

Well you asked for our .02 cents, so I will offer mine sir. I am a fan of Metalife for sure. I had my model 57, a 2.5" model 19 (back when 2.5" m66s were scarce and expensive) and a German Walther PPK/S all done in Metalife. To me if you can not find the weapon in stainless, and want something very close to it, Metalife would be very hard to beat.

Having said that, I later became a big fan of Mr. Walter's "Black-T" finish. I think based on having used both finishes now, if I were going to have another revolver refinished it would probably the Black-T work.

I fired a ton of rounds out of all three of the pistols with the Metalife finish, and never had the first issue with any of them. The gentleman who started the company told me he had worked for Armaloy and felt that was an excellent finish, that simply did not go far enough. So he left them and started his own company, taking the finish to the level he felt Armaloy should. Now that may have been true, or perhaps just marketing, I have no idea. But I was always impressed with the quality of the work, and how long lasting the finish was.

So I would say it is up to you. Do I think you would be making a mistake to add a finish to your pistol? No sir I don't, but that is just me. As Mr. Leland noted, the weapon is a tool to me as well. Anything I own is a shooter for me, or I have no need to own it really. If it is a handgun, then it will also get carried. To me anything I can do to improve its use is just that - an improvement.

Others may well disagree, and since you are asking for opinions, I hope if they do, they will speak their piece too.

twoguns

·
Registered
354 Posts
Don't know what condition your 29-2 is in. 4" 29-2's are real "collectable" these days......... That said I agree it is first a tool. All of my "working tools" are modified to some extent-actions, sights, finishes. My "collectable" guns remain as produced and sit in the safe. I have several handguns with HC finish which I like a great deal. I shot competitively (NRA Action Pistol and USPSA) and practiced relentlessly. Hardchrome was the ONLY finish that held up (still got rust on the beavertail and MSH). A number of finishes have come out since then. My current "blued" finish favorite is Melonite QPC from Coal Creek Armory. It is a black finish which is the same as Glocks "Tennifer". It has outstanding abrasion and rust proof qualities. I have a mod. 58 S&W that is a "hard use" revolver I keep at the ranch/farm. It has held up well.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hi Mr.Wes. I believe also that a gun is a tool but I also enjoy working with my tools. I have the same thought when I am working on my car. I try to buy quality tools to do the job. If I have to bend a wrench to make it fit I will in a heart beat and get a new one later. What I am trying to say is if the new finish will protect your gun more out in the woods do it I would. Now I am not a collector and I sure wouldn't do that to a high dollar collectible gun. Guns are made to protect and enjoy and I sure enjoy the ones I got. Good luck.

Best: Baldy.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I have my copin' Model 13 HB in for engraving and when it returns, I think I am going to get it done in Armaloy. I already have a Model 58 in it and I like it. Sure it is flat gray but it is absolutely great for holster wear and ease of cleaning. It just looks like bead blast stainless - sort of business like.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi Wes,

I am going to vote against the change. I think there is some value in preserving the old blue Smiths just for aethetics sake (as in "they ain't makin' em any more"). Your 29 is a nice example, in great shape, and I think if you stay on top of the maintanance you should have no problems. If it does rust, you can always refinish it then, but it would be pretty tough (if not impossible) to go back after the kind of finishes we are talking about here. Just my $0.02.

In any case, think on it a while...

PGM

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Hi Wes-
I think I'd carry it like it is. If you do have problems from the weather you can address it then. One other thought is to buy a 629 for hunting and keep the 29 for the range. You can't have too many .44's.

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gents,

OK, you have talked me into NOT having the M-29 Metalifed for now. That makes some sense as I have a stainless 4" Colt Anaconda I can "go swimming" with... ;)

Wes

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yea Wes! I was hoping that you'd leave it original. I've not had troubles with rust and Smith & Wesson blue finishes and I use some of my S&W revolvers in harsh environments. Attention with a rag and some RIG has successfully defended me from rust and it only takes a second. In case of an actual wetting, drying and relubricating before application of RIG suffices.

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bmcgilvray,

I use RIG frequently on my non stainless guns, as well. Good stuff. Have decided to let the finish wear and use the darn thing.
Have a new classic "Threeperson's" holster from El Paso Saddlery. Somehow, that 'Smith M29 just looks "right" in it.

Wes

·
Registered
361 Posts
This is only my opinion on the matter but I'd be much more interested in a Model 29-2 with a quite worn original blue finish than I would a non-factory, non-standard newly finished 29-2. Would be willing to pay more too.

Holster question. Does the Threeperson's holster carry the revolver fairly high on the hip?

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
"Threeperson's" holster from El Paso Saddlery. Somehow, that 'Smith M29 just looks "right"

Hi Wes- Can you post a picture? I have a El Paso Saddlery holster for my Colt clone. They do great work

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gents,

Took some pictures of the "Threeperson's" Holster from El Paso Saddlery and their 2 + 2 + 2 ammo pouch. Nice stuff.
The speedloader is from HKS and is loaded with my "working" load. It's a true Keith type Semi-wadcutter (flat base), has the full caliber driving band, and weighs 250 grains. This over 8.5 Gr WW-231, a Winch Large Pistol primer, and a Remington or Winchester case. Load is 1,050 FPS. It will take care of about anything I run into in Western Oregon. During Hunting season I carry the same components, but at full power.

Hope you approve of the combination. I've aways felt classic guns deserve classic leather. The Threeperson's design dates from the 1920/30's when Tom Threepersons was in Law Enforcement. Both Texas, NM, and AZ, I believe.

Wes

P.S. The bullet is available from "Leadheads" and is harder than woodpecker lips! It even took out some old leading I had in my pistols...
P.P.S. Should have mentioned that I would classify this as a medium ride holster and it does have an FBI rake. In spite of the safety strap it is a fairly quick holster to draw from.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy folks,

Great pics of your El Paso holsters guys, thanks to you both. I have always been very well pleased with any item purchased from El Paso, and simply great folks to deal with as well. Very user friendly, and committed to giving the customer what he really wants/needs, even if it involves making a mod or two in their normal offerings. They have yet to say anything to one of my mod requests besides - no problem and no extra charge, glad to do it sir. Hard for me not to enjoy giving my money to a company with that attitude, expecially given the high quality you get in return.

Sounds like a great load too Mr. Wes. If I were not using a speed loader pouch on my belt (which can be rather bulky too), I also think the 2x2 carrier is the way to go. I have always loved the way it made grabbing two rounds to load so simple and quick. Thanks for that pic too sir. You have reminded me that if my current plans work out (should know that tomorrow), I will need to be finding a couple of the 2x2 pouches shortly too.

Enjoy them guys, as those are some nice rigs in my opinion to be toting both in.

twoguns

·
Registered
361 Posts
I never read anything about Tom Threepersons. I'll have to look him up on the Web.

Wes, that is an attractive holster. Will it conceal the gun beneath a short jacket?

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bmcgilvray,

The holster "might" conceal under a short jacket, but it's not really a concealment holster. The rear of the holster forms a loop your belt goes through and hence doesn't pull the butt of the weapon in as well as some designs.

Wes

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Dogonne it. Now when my M13 comes back from engraving and getting Armaloyed/Metalifed, I am gonna have to call Ryan McNellis and get him to make me an El Paso Saddlery Ranger belt, pick two and Threepersons set! Darn Texicans - always spending my money for me!

No, the TT style holster is not optimum for concealment but EPS does make the Tortilla which is. While not cheap, it is high quality indeed and I recommend it as semicustom.

By the way, EPS I believe is the successor to Tio Myers who made George S. Patton's leather. I know that they made the Ranger style belt my old Gov used to wear my hind parts out with! Gotta see if Ryan will reuse the silver buckle and dual keepers on my new set...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts