Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've been more and more involved last year in revolver shooting. First I had an all beatten S&W M-10 4" (1970) and bought then a M-65 4" for .357 fun. Then a M-15 4" came, as well as a small Colt DS.

In december, just after the Colt DS, I saw in the showcase at the range what is considered here as the Mercedes among wheelguns (Colt Pythons being Cadillac and Korth Rolls Royce), a french Manurhin MR73 5 1/4".

To give you an idea, it looks exactly like this one:

So I sold the M-65 and with some extra cash the Manurhin was mine for Christmas. It came with an extra 9 para cylinder, a manual and the proof report of the "Banc d'essai de St-Etienne": "Pression d'

·
Registered
559 Posts
Thank you the interesting and informative post. I have read about the Manurhin revolvers for some years now, but have never seen one. I guess it is another revolver on my wish list.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thank you Mr Larry for a very good report on what seems to be a very fine revolver. I have heard about them some but now I know a lot more. I see the Tarush stocks are for sale on the Ruger forum all the time. The only gun I like rubber on is a S&W M-36 if I am carrying it for protection. Sure would like to have one if they would ever import them. Good luck with yours.

Best,Baldy

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello Larry,

What a fascinating report on your latest aquisition! I really do appreciate the detail and background to your post and know what a connesiour you are of fine handguns.

I hope you'll continue to update us with range reports as you get to shoot this revolver more. I am very intrigued with it, and it not generally available in the U.S. Market. The exception of course were some "Ruger Style" Manurhin revolvers that were surplused and imported into the U.S. about a year or so back from the French Gerdarmarie.

Please keep us updated and post some pictures when you have a chance!

(Actually, I hope to get to see it in person this summer when I visit your spectacular country!)

Best and many thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
156 Posts
The "newer" line of guns, the 88 Series is based on the Ruger ( elder, pre GP 100 ) guns.

IIRC it was rumoured, that the castings could be furnished by Ruger and the fitting being done by Manurhin???

I wonder if their action is with coil springs and as smooth as the 73

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The story about the Ruger casting isn't a rumor: after Manurhin and the french services recognized that the MR 73 was much to expensive for general issue, Manurhin developped the RMR model (for Revolver Manurhin Ruger): Ruger furnished the frame and lockwork and Manurhin finished the guns with french-made cylinders and barrels (similar in form to the MR 73's but with a US thread). Latter, the arrangement went short and Manurhin developped hybrids with the models Special Police and MR 88: Ruger-style frame and lock (with coil-springs), MR 73-style barrels and frames. These revolvers don't compare in finish and action with the MR 73.

Out of the MR 73, Manurhin developped genuine home-products with the MR 93 and 96: these have a lock that is fixed on the frame plate - you undo 2 screws and you have the plate in hand with the trigger, lock and hammer on it. Very innovative and a good action. But revolver shooters are pretty conservative...

I did some pics of the MR 73 and will post them as soon as possible.

L.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Sweet!

Very informative. Nice pics! I'd read about the Manurhin revolvers, but this really put it all together. I've never actually seen one, either the Ruger variants or that one you've got there.

We're all keenly interested to hear the range reports and see more photos.

thanks,
--d.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are the pics I promised:

The MR73 with a M15: beside the barrel length, the former's frame is stronger than S&W's K size. I wish I had a L-frame on hand to compare.

Another comparison with the M15: the MR's sights are definitly target style.

The 9 mm para cylinder: note the small springs in the extractor.

The lockwork: 2 leaf springs for hammer and trigger respectively and a rollers-mounted rebound slide.

A zoom pic of the previous.

The schematic from the manual.

Bye.

L.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello Larry,

Thank you very much for sharing such spectacular pictures of your new revolver. I am indeed envious, but will ever likely never see such a revolver on this side of the Atlantic, which makes it's allure even stronger.

How do the springs and roller guided recoil bound slide compare to your 'Smiths? Or is there even a comparison?

I don't know how your revolver would stack up to a Colt Python, but have you ever shot one? Just curious if there is anything manufactured here that would serve as a comparison.

Best and again congradulations,

Chris

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello Chris,

Thank you for the nice words.

In SA, there are no capital difference between the MR and the Combat Masterpiece. The latter has a perfectly adjusted trigger stop that makes it even crisper. The MR's could be adjusted tighter but it doesn't matter that much for me: I like a slight overtravel for reliability.

In DA, the MR action is much smoother and lighter, you don't feel that different mecanical parts move and act together. The pull is shorter too. The hammer falls very shortly after the cylinder stop clicks in the groove. So you don't have the opportunity to stack the pull as with most SW. It isn't necessary with such a smooth action but you must habit to a different rythm.

All these virtues are due to a part to the roller rebound slide, to the wide trigger and the adjustable springs. On the Combat Masterpiece, you must keep the mainspring tightened to maximum to maintain reliable ignition. On the MR, I was able to unscrew about one turn and, then, adjust the trigger spring to lighten the pull. In fact, the mainspring was much to light when I bought the gun. Another fact is that Manurhin spent a lot of human work to make these guns: 12 hours average for mounting and adjustement.

This MR is not perfect either: the grips are not up to the quality of the gun (bad shape, poor fitting, ugly). And I question the timing: when the trigger is fully pressed, the cylinder still has a big rotational play, it isn't blocked by the hand on the cylinder stop as S&W and Colt do. I'll have a gunsmith check that to be sure.

No I've never shot a Python. I know one shooter at the range who has a 4" and I'm eager to propose him a comparison. I'll report about it when it happens.

L.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is the target I shot on Feb. 15:

5 rounds in 1,5 x 2 cm and 1 flyer 6 cm down.

I shot it at the end of a session. At that time, I was doing headshots at 15 m. in DA mode, 2 hands without stand. Ammo is 9 mm para MFS (Bulgarian).

Luck played its part - I never shot such a group with a handgun before - but it says something about the practical accuracy of the piece too.

I don't collect paper normally but I'm glad to share this one.

Bye.

L.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello Larry,

Very, very, very impressive accuracy with your MR-73! And this is the first time I have heard/seen such performance of 9mm ammunition out of any revolver I've encountered through reading over the years.

You certainly have a very handsome revolver that will obviously bring you such joy for many years to come!

This is one time that I am very happy that you shared your target with us!

Again, congradulations on the exceptional performance of your revolver.

Chris

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Larry,

(Yep, I had to go back and delete the Mr., laughing). Thank you for sharing both your newest revolver and some of its history with us sir. As many have already stated, I had heard of this revolver, but never really seen a good picture of one until now. I have also heard very good things about it, and your personal experience and target bear them up for sure.

I was going to ask, from the picture with the model 15 included, it almost looks to me to be about the same frame size as a Smith L frame. It is often said that the Python and L frame are the same frame size. I do not know if that is really an accurate statement or not. But I do know when I bought my first L frame Smith, no one had begun to make duty holsters for it yet, it was that new. I called some holster companies and they all said the same thing - order one the correct barrel length you need for a Python, it will fit perfectly. I was suprised to disvoer that it did indeed fit perfectly. So if the two frames are not identical, they are certainly very close.

I would be curious to see if you feel your revolver is about the same frame size as a Python when you get the chance to compare them with your friend's Colt. But thanks again for very informative posts on this one sir. Please keep us updates as you get to shoot your newest lady more.

twoguns

1 - 13 of 13 Posts