Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

I'm getting the hankering for a Mak. Who had the best quality and do we have a source that is selling Mak's now? What should we expect to pay?

Wes

G

·
I have a Bulgarian and three East German Maks (EG), I do not see any difference in their performance. The EGs are finished a little better but I do not think they are worth the premium. I have not bought a new Mak in a couple of years and therefore I do not know current suppliers. I see on other boards that Bulgies are fetching over $200 and EG Maks about $300. I hope this helps. Regards, Richard

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I've fired Bulgarian, Russian, German and Chinese. I bought a German and think they are the best of the bunch. Better fit, finish, and trigger.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I just got an EG Mak from Black Bear Arms. Great condition, the trigger is smooth as butter. It's very accurate too.

Depending on condition a Bulgarian can be half to two-thirds cost of the EG Mak.

Read Mr. Camps's review:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/makarov.htm

Mr. Camp gives you the skinny on this and everything else he writes about. You'll do well to consult his website when you want to know something. I've learned a lot from him and Massad Ayoob. No BS from either of those guys!

Good luck. I think you'll enjoy whatever you get. I liked it so well I've ordered nearly 1000 rds of 9x18.

Steve

·
Registered
115 Posts
The East German Maks are generally considered to be the best because of their fit and finish. As far as I know no new/unused EG Maks were imported.

Most of the Russians Maks have more of a "utility" fit and finish, showing tool marks. Most of them were new/unused. They also have big adjustable, sometimes loose, rear sights that some shooters don't like.

The Bulgarian Maks range from EXTREMELY USED to new/unused condition. The finish is usually better than the Russian Maks but I've seen some new/unused Bulgarian pistols with a pretty poor finish.

Generally all the Maks are very accurate and extremely reliable. For years they have been the best bargain in hand guns and still are if you can find one.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=157

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Hi gents,

just curious: have any of y'all fired one of those Polish P64s? I've handled 'em at gun shows...They have miniscule sights and use the European-style magazine release on the underside of the gun butt, and in this case, shrouded/concealed somewhat by the plastic grips on the piece. They are chambered for the 9x18mm Makarov round, but I haven't seen much about 'em?

best,
--d.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. Hopefully M2 will post here as he's forgotten more about Maks than I've ever come close to knowing. I'd go with a Bulgarian or EG based on my experiences with them.

Best.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've got a Bulgurian that I carry quite a bit. I paid $179.00 for it at a gun show. It came with two magazines, a full flap holster, a cleaning rod, a lanyard, and two sets of grips. It is a great little gun. I don't shoot it a lot, because around here ammo is both scarce and expensive. It used to be cheap on the internet, but it seems to have dried up recently.

One thing I really like about the Mak is that the safety sweeps down, like a 1911 safety, rather than up like most DA/SA semi auto's. Althought I don't use the safety often, prefering to rely on the DA trigger, it's nice to know that it works (IMHO) in a more natural way.

G

·
Hi gents,

just curious: have any of y'all fired one of those Polish P64s? <snip>
Dave, I have handled a P64 in a store and thought it was a pretty neat little package for the 9x18. Then a couple of weeks ago I got a chance to shoot one. They are reputed to have a very heavy double action trigger pull, but a decent single action. This is an understatement. I was physically unable to pull the trigger to discharge double action - had to use my off hand to help, or use my middle finger. Single action trigger was pretty good, though, and I've read you can fix the double action problem with a different spring.

However, shooting the little thing (single action, of course) was NOT very pleasant. In fact, it was only slightly more fun than my KelTec P3AT, which I don't enjoy shooting at all.

The P64 is smaller than a Mak, probably would fit in a pocket that the Mak wouldn't, and they're available pretty cheap. But I know I wouldn't practice enough with one to get proficient. I'm deadly with a Mak out to 50 yards, and will just continue to carry and shoot that for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Replacing the mainspring in the P64 greatly helps the DA trigger pull and makes the SA pull about 3-4 pounds.

I like the P64 well enough to buy three of them but they aren't the equal of the Makarov.

They give the impression of being a good bit smaller than the Mak but actually are almost as big.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a bulgarian Mak I bought last year. Beautiful blue finish. EG grips. TONS of rounds through it. Love it. Love it. Love it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I bought a Bulgarian Mak not to long ago I wish I would have picked one up sooner. This gun has been great from day one.

Gil..

If I get a chance Im gonna pick up a East German model also.

·
Registered
59 Posts
FWIW, I got seriously into Makarovs about three years ago and only regret I did not do so sooner. Of the EG, Bulgarian, and Russian Maks I've shot, none has ever had a stoppage of any kind, except for problems feeding hollow points, for which AFAIK the Mak was not designed. I'm still amazed how good these pistols are.

EG quality is probably best, but almost any Mak is a good Mak. The only "problem" with EG's is their prices have gone up rather significantly in the last couple of years. Nowadays I usually see them offered at $300+. The local gunshop had one earlier this year that sold for $375 (!) in what I'd call average condition.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a Bulgarian Mak I payed about 190 for. I've carried it often and It is one of the most relieable weapons I've ever had, and one of the most accurate. The Blue finish on it is beautiful. I wouldn't take triple the money I payed for it to sell it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I bought this East German Mak at a gun show last month, $340.
The dealer had it finished for his personal use. He said he never fired it and it shows. The gunsmith did a heck of a job on it, best I've ever seen. The picture doesn't do it justice.

I'm not a collector, I shoot everything I own but it's unlikely that I'll shoot this gun. :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yes, I've sold 5 or 6 Russian and Bulgarian Maks over the years. It seems like every time I let someone shoot a Mak they have to have one. :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've become a big fan of the Mak and that chrome is beautiful and looks very well done.

What HPs are those in the magazine?

Steve

1 - 20 of 23 Posts