Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Some of our folks carry snubs by choice. I was wondering about what your preferred loads might be and reasons why.

For this thread, let's say a snub is a revolver having a barrel of 3" or less.

Best and thanks in advance.

G

·
Back in the stone age when I carried a Rossi M677, I used my stash of 38Spl 158 +p Nyclads. Didn't care much for snubs and 357 Magnumb loads.

ZM

·
Registered
720 Posts
gave my .357magnum (Taurus 605, all SS) to my oldest son who has big, strong, young hands. He liked the 147gr full magnum load best. So my vote is actually for him.
For myself I'd vote 'none of the above'.
Cheers,
og

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Once again I could not answer because I am guilty of inconsistency.

Right now my 640 "hideout" has .357 mag 130 gr Hydra-Shoks in it but I would not feel all that much at a disadvantage if it had .38 +P 158 LSWCHP slugs in it.

When I carry my new Astra 2.75" .44 mag(just wore it yesterday in the big city) , so far I am packing 180 gr PMC jhps...these things are STOUT! They clocked 1370 form the shorty and over 1500 from my 4" 629 (it is a very tight gun). At the same time, the CCI Blazer 240 clocks 975 fps from the snubby and around 1100 fps from the 4" and I really like that load too.

I am currently casting about for "volunteers" to test these but I am also trying to test Cor-Bon DPX so it is a bit of a challenge to figure out what to shoot first.

Roll on!
Jim

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just seem to find that the 158 gr SWCHP +P balances accuracy and controllability in my SP 101. Its pretty much my "always" carry load.

I have fired Winchester 145 gr Silver Top .357 mags in it and it takes a bit of getting used to, but they are accurate and controllable. Maybe I'm too lazy to pound 100 or so through my SP per range session to get really proficient with them

So I guess if its a "magnum only" choice, the Silver Tips would be my carry round. Never was very accurate with the Remington Golden Sabre 125 gr .357 round but admittedly didn't dedicate much time to practicing with them.

G

·
Howdy. I have an SP101, but don't carry it that much because I think the trigger is much better on my old Smith 649. I am currently qualified with both guns and I made a point to shoot qual with the SP101 with W-W 110-grain JHP full-power mag loads. When I carry the SP101, that is what I carry in the gun. I find that the SP101 is heavy enough that recoil with the 110-grain load is not excessive, although the muzzle blast and report are pretty significant events.

Bob

·
Registered
525 Posts
Winchester 110 gr JHP .357 in a Rossi (Taurus) Model 642 stainless steel (sixshot). I have alot of 110gr on hand, and it seems reasonably controllable. Would like to try it out with 125gr, but since I have so many 110 gr on hand, ammo $ are going to other worthy causes. :)

G

·
I had this idea for a snubby setup that I think would work well.

First chamber .38
Second .357
Third .38
Last two .357

The idea is that you can do two double-taps easily, getting an extra-powerful second shot on each, and then have one round of .357 left over, just in case.

G

·
Currently, in my Model 13, would be loading Federal 147 grain Hydra-Shok +P+ or Winchester 147 grain hollowpoint +P+, as this is what is plentiful around me. Don't know if I had to start fresh. Maybe Speer 135 grain Gold Dots.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello. The smallest .357 I own is a 3 1/16" Ruger SP101.

Right now it is loaded with Remington 125-gr. Golden Sabers. That is the most "potent" load I can handle with one hand...if required.

This faithful old Model 28 does "house duty" with Winchester 145-gr. STHP's.

Best.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use Winchester 110gr JHP in a S&W M-60 J-mag. With Herrett Shooting Star grips. You can handle it one handed if needed. But man are they loud. If I use smaller grips I go to 38+P's 158 LSWCHP.

G

·
SAC, On the whole, I find snubs with hot loads not to my liking. If I carry my M37 it is loaded with 110gr Corbon 38 Specials. When it comes to J frame 357 magnums the only one I enjoy shooting is my M60-10 and I can tolerate 158gr and 125gr Mag loads in it. Regards, Richard

G

·
Any 110 SJHP, the reduced 125s (Magtech, Golden Saber) or Magtech's First Defense SCHP (solid copper hollow point). Does about 1360 fps from my 3 in GP100 and 11/.65 through denim.

G

·
Back in the stone age when I carried a Rossi M677, I used my stash of 38Spl 158 +p Nyclads. Didn't care much for snubs and 357 Magnumb loads.

ZM
What is/are the pros/cons of Nyclad ammo? I've got a few Nyclad swc & hp left and don't know whether to hord or shoot them.

G

·
I've been using the same load since the early 80s. Federal or Remington 158gr +P in my airweight snub. I have purchased the new Gold Dot load and Glasers but I can't seem to part from tradition.

I have to admit that when I go to an indoor range with friends or family, I load up at least one cylinder full of magnum loads in the snubby. Everyone seems to get such a kick out of the noise and muzzle flash.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts