Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4" M66 S&W is my favorite and I'd like to get a comparable model for my son. S&W is confusing me, however with their new models and I'm turning to y'all for guidance. Isn't the M686 the closest I can get to the old M66? Why can't they leave anything alone . . .

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Hi Pip- If you read Smiths site they say the 620 is the replacement for the 66. It has gone from a K frame to an L frame. The 686 and the 620 both are 7 shot L frames. I think the 620 is about $100 less than the 686. (It has a two piece barrel and the 686 has a one piece.)Here is a picture of the 620, it's the one on the lower left. The upper left is a 66.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, sir. I see that now. What is the prevailing opinion of the two-piece barrel? I don't like the sound of it but know nothing about the performance, durability, etc.

And, if I'm reading the catalog correctly, the 4" 6 shot 686 has a full lug barrell, hence the additional weight (compared to the 66) while the 4" 7 shot 686 weights 4 oz. less (the extra chamber reducing the mass?).

Do these guns have the lock or has that not been incorporated into them - the catalog I have makes no mention one way or the other.

Many thanks for you reply and for the photos.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Pip- All the new Smiths (revolvers) come with the dreaded lock. The two piece barrel in theory makes sense (more accurate) but some will tell you that S&W only did it to save a few bucks. (may be) If you can find a used m-66 (pre-lock) buy it. It would be worth more if you ever wanted to sell it than the same Smith with a lock. I have Smiths with the "IL" because I got them cheap (used) and I don't use them for carry. For the range they shoot very well and they are accurate.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
2-pieces barrels are inherently more accurate and cheaper: more accurate - as Dan Wesson proved it, so did Korth and Manurhin too - because the barrel is fixed at 2 points, front and rear, and because the tension between these 2 points reduces vibrations; cheaper because the front sight is aligned independantly from the headspace and torque of the barrel. With a one piece barrel, the shoulder of the barrel must be reamed exactly to get a correct headspace and to align the sight.

But I'm not sure if the 2-pieces barrels on the new S&Ws are screwed both at the rear and front.

L.

G

·
Pip,
You might ask your favorite gun shops to give you a call when they get a used model 66 in. I have 4 model 66's and have obtained all but one by having my shop give me a call when they get one. I just bought #4 three weeks ago, it's a four inch late 80's model and came with a brand new Bianchi belt slide holster for $325 out the door. They're plenty on the used market you just have to have patience and one will turn up. Just a thought and an option to buying a new one with the "Hillary Hole" on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts