Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I've got a friend with a nickel 439 who keeps offering to sell it to me, cheap. My first semiauto was a 439, so I've been sorely tempted. Your photo isn't helping!

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
My 39-2 is the first pistol I bought. SA trigger is ok as are the sights. DA trigger is like a staple gun, but I love this old pistol and have kept for over 30 years. This is a very well made pistol, the design is not the best, but S&W did a good job as far as quality control is concerned.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I used to drool all over those nickeled 39s. I had a Cabela's or Gander Mtn catalog from about 1980 or 81 that showed one in it- probably in a holster ad. I looked that thing to death.
Nice gun.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I bought a new Model 39 no dash blue finish back in 1969. It cost me $88.00 which was the MSRP back then.

I was stationed in Darmstadt, West Germany at the time and one day I walked into the Rod & Gun Club to check things out. An Army officer was haggling with the salesman behind the counter over the price of the 39. He felt that $88 was too high and was looking for a discount. When he was told that no discount could be given, he stomped out of the place.

I asked the salesman who was an NCO in my unit what he was going to do with the 39. He told me that it had been special ordered by that officer with no money down. Now it was going back into the display case. I pulled out my wallet and paid for the 39 in full. Later on, the NCO told me that the Army officer had come back and decided to buy the 39 after all. It was with great pleasure that he told the brasshat that an Air Force Ssgt had bought the gun two minutes after he had left the club.

I've still got that 39 and the five mags for it. I had a German gunsmith handcarve a set of custom grips out of European walnut and inlay them with silver wire. I wish I could post a photo of the 39 with its grips, but my Sony digital camera is not compatible with my new HP Pavilion computer and I don't know how to fix that.

The Retired One

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
I bought a new Model 39 no dash blue finish back in 1969. It cost me $88.00 which was the MSRP back then.

I was stationed in Darmstadt, West Germany at the time and one day I walked into the Rod & Gun Club to check things out. An Army officer was haggling with the salesman behind the counter over the price of the 39. He felt that $88 was too high and was looking for a discount. When he was told that no discount could be given, he stomped out of the place.

I asked the salesman who was an NCO in my unit what he was going to do with the 39. He told me that it had been special ordered by that officer with no money down. Now it was going back into the display case. I pulled out my wallet and paid for the 39 in full. Later on, the NCO told me that the Army officer had come back and decided to buy the 39 after all. It was with great pleasure that he told the brasshat that an Air Force Ssgt had bought the gun two minutes after he had left the club.

I've still got that 39 and the five mags for it. I had a German gunsmith handcarve a set of custom grips out of European walnut and inlay them with silver wire. I wish I could post a photo of the 39 with its grips, but my Sony digital camera is not compatible with my new HP Pavilion computer and I don't know how to fix that.

The Retired One
Nice to stick it to the brass every once in a while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts