Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there all,

After a six week wait, I finally got my "new/old" S&W M-65 back from the factory.

I sent it there to have the center pin replaced and they replaced the ejector rod, center pin and spring. I was happy to see "Brown" pull up to my house today.

I finally mounted the grips that I had purchased new from J&G Wholesale to see how they would look and feel and what a big difference!

The new grips are much more handfilling then the old slender service stocks and much nicer looking.

Its great to have my M-65 back!

Chris

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Erich,

S&W's published warranty service turn around is 2-3 weeks and it took all of 6 weeks to get it shipped and back. Along with the pistol they sent me a blank computer generated page to outline the service work that was performed.

There was nothing printed on the page except the message to call them to inquire what was done. I called. They replaced the parts and that was it! No suprises there except that they had replaced the ejector rod as well as the center pin and spring.

Now I need to order a holster!

Chris

G

·
That IS a sweet gun.I had one several years ago.....I put some faux ivory grips on it. It was stolen, along with 2 others. The police found them all but I suspect they kept it, while returning the other two to me, because it was such a good duty weapon. I'll get another one some day. JD 45

G

·
I really doubt they kept it. They'd have to remove it from NCIC as stolen in order to use it and that would be a dead giveaway. Have an Officer run the serial number for you sometime and see if is still listed as stolen. I bet it is.

G

·
Pointblank, thanx for the tip. I don't have the paperwork on the gun anymore, so do you think the place where I bought it might still? It goes back to 1989, I believe. Purchased from Midwest Sporting Goods in Lyons, Illinois.

G

·
Wish like crazy I had kept mine just like yours, a case of the "I gotta haves" led to a trade for I don't even remember what now. :(

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi TLEE,

Back in the early '90's, I had one of the more collectable MASS. STATE POLICE 3" M-65's that I let go and I am still kicking myself over the stupid trade I made to get into another handgun.

This one is definately a "keeper" for me and I am going to just have to "give up" on my old "I gotta have it and trade away ways".

Too many nice handguns have slipped through my hands over the years. Now, I cruise the pawnshops and gunstores always looking in the "used" display case. I picked up a nice M-60 made in 1969 about a month ago and it is also a "keeper".

Chris

G

·
Know 'zactly what you mean Chris, I have "tradable" and non-tradable" guns now, the good ones no longer get away. FOund they were way to expensive or hard to replace. Haven't come across ant "just gotta haves" for many a moon.

G

·
Pointblank, thanx for the tip. I don't have the paperwork on the gun anymore, so do you think the place where I bought it might still? It goes back to 1989, I believe. Purchased from Midwest Sporting Goods in Lyons, Illinois.
I'd say it would be easier to obtain a copy of the original police report. That will have the serial number of the gun in it.

G

·
BTW Point, could you massage your picture in the avitar to make the muzzle of that 1911 to look more like a 55 gallon drum, as it would in real life when you stuck it in someone's face? That'd be real cool!!! Just curious. JD45

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi there TLEE,

The M-65 is definately on the "not to be sold or traded at any cost" list. It took me too long to find one here locally again after a 6 month search and was priced at about $100.00 less than the minute list of ones that were offered on the auction web sites.

Chris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts