Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting my ccw and looking for something small for ccw.

I will only be able to scrap together between $150 - $250(wifes in school). I have a full size 1911 but want something smaller for ccw. Something to tide me over until wife graduates in spring of 08.

Thanks for your suggestions

Other then price I would like it to have some sort of safety.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy sir,

If you can give us a bit more informations, we can probably offer some better suggestions for you to consider. I understand your financial limits with your wife in school now, but that may make it a bit more difficult as well, even falling into a good deal with a nice used handgun.

Try to be a bit more specific on your interests if you can please sir. You already own a 1911, so are you looking for another pistol, would you consider a revolver, do you have a minimum caliber in mind. Those sort of things would help our members make better suggestions for you I think.

I am originally from your state, and was born farther east of your location. So I have a good idea of your typical weather there during the year. My first thought is you already have a 1911, which to me is an excellent weapon to consider for concealed carry. You might simply want to use some of that money to buy a good concealed holster, a double mag pouch, some extra mags and carry and practive ammo.

That might actually be a good way to start out for now, as you may well find your price limit may make it hard to find something worthy of consideration.

But again give us a few more specifics and we will try to offer some suggestions for you.

twoguns

·
Registered
720 Posts
you might want to look for a used Bersa Thunder, maybe in the 380 category, but only if it's in real good condition. That would fit your price range. Bersa's have a decocker safety so you can carry a round in the chamber. Their new compact carry model will fit the pocket.

Avoid being tempted by the cheap, zinc alloy guns like Jiminez or Raven or such. They are what's known as striker fired and not recommended for carrying with a round in the chamber.
Besides, they usually have lots of problems with FTF, FTE, unless you do a lot of gunsmithing to eliminate the poor workmanship. Just my opinion based on foolish experience.

Another possibility is a KelTec 380 but you don't want a used first generation model. A new 2d gen model is hard to find since lots of LEO's are buying them for backup. Do some reading on several of the KelTec sites before you go that route.

Cheers and good luck. Hope you get a lot more suggestions here.

og

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was going to try to find an inexpensive IWB holster for my 1911 for starters but I tend to be a hot natured person so I usually wear as little as possible during the summer months. I am going on the assumption that a 1911 might not be a concealable option for me during the summer months wearing jeans and t-shirts. At this point it will be my carry gun until I get something else.

As far as what I am looking for .... cost is going to be the key factor in anything I pick up right now. The only pistol at this point that I have been thinking about is a bersa 380 for around $230. I also like the look of the Bersa Thunder9 or 45 but I realize that they are out of my price range.

What prompted me to post here was I was looking thru an issue of shotgun news and saw a FEG PA63 (walter style 9x18) for $130 and was curious if it would make a decent carry gun or would it be better as an around the house gun. I also know some older military surplus type pistals like markorovs and a small spanish 1911 style pistol that I cant remember the name of right now might be in my price range but are they safe and viable as ccw guns ?

Maybe the following will help out more ...I currently own 2 pistols an service xd 9mm (which is the only thing my wife knows how to handle so carrying it is not an option as it is left home for her to use) and a RIA 1911 which I find to be a bit heavy. I am 6'1" 230 lbs not fat but not slim either. Caliber wise I subscribe to the mentality its all about making your shots count vs a large caliber. That being said dont want to ccw a 22 either. I realize that what ever I get will more then likely be used.

Last but not least I like to be different and with that being said I dont have to have the name brand glock , colt etc. And before anyone mentions it a hipoint is out of the question. Any help will be appreciated.

G

·
Within your price range the little Bersa Thunder .380's are hard to beat, and can be found in gun shops pretty readily. For concealed carry, get the nickel-finished ones as these are pretty much impervious to finish wear and rusting when carried close to the body. There have been reports of quality problems with the FEG PA63's and I would be inclined to stay away from these. They aren't nearly as high-quality a gun as the Bersa. The FEG PA63 is also in 9x18, which hasn't undergone nearly the development as personal defense ammo that the .380 ACP has. The military-surplused Makarovs are quality guns, but their availability is pretty much drying up on the retail market and, being military handguns, weren't designed to function with modern hollow-point ammo and may not function well with it; others can comment on this issue on the basis of their experience. All of the Spanish handgun makers are out of business, and the availabilty of replacement parts for any of their products is or may in the future be a major problem.

A full-sized M1911 is tough to conceal when lightly clothed.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello,

A used S&W revolver commonly found on the LE "turn in" market would also make an excellent CCW firearm. It may take some looking, but some of the K-frames available are still very serviceable and useful particularly in the .357 Magnum category.

If you can find an FFL willing to do a transfer, try calling J&G Sales in Prescott AR to see what their current selections are and how much the shipping/transfer fees plus applicable state taxes will add to the cost.

Chris

·
Registered
645 Posts
beakersloco,

All good suggestions above, a LE revolver trade in , the Bersa .380, and the PA-63 in 9x18, for me I really like the 9x18. IMHO, for accuracy and plenty of pop, the P-64 is a good choice and my choice for CCW. I have two of them, one with the IWB Clipdraw and the other is carried in a DeSantis Nemesis. With dealer transfer, shipping and tax you should still be just under $200. The P-64 holds 6 in the mag and can be carried safely with one in the tube and is a all steel pistol and only weighs 23 oz loaded. Here is a web site for any questions you might have about the P-64.

http://p64.proboards67.com/

papabear

G

·
The Bersa's are neat little guns. The one I used to have shot to POA and had an exceptable trigger. It seemed to be reliable, but I was only able to fire less than 100 rounds through mine before I had a huge chunk of skin removed from the webbing of my thumb by the slide. I don't know if it was my grip, or what, but that thing was painful for me to shoot. I eventually sold it because I wasn't practicing with it. Also, just a couple days before I sold it, the safety/decocker became so stiff it was almost impossible to manipulate unless you pushed on it in just the right spot at the perfect angle. For the price I think the Bersa is a hard gun to beat, just try to shoot one before you buy to make sure you don't have the same problem I did. ~Pistolero

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
You might see if you can find an old Rossi or Taurus snubby revolver. While true they are not +P rated, I got my Rossi for under $200 and, though this may be heresy, it literally shows the fit and finish my old 1968(?) vintage S&W M19 (that I foolishly got rid of). It really is that good, and the trigger pull is very smooth.

You can purchase practice ammo and a speedloader or speed strip with your savings.

You might also check with your local PD if you live in a gun friendly jurisdiction.

Josh <><

·
Registered
40 Posts
My Bersa is accurate and reliable, points naturally and is light enough to be an every day ccw. And did I mention cheap. However I have been looking at the kel-tecs.

G

·
One thing about the Bersa .380's that I really don't approve of is the outrageous cost of spare magazines. The damn thing only comes with one mag and you can't find spares for less than 35-40 dollars per. That's just nuts. You can buy a couple good 1911 mags for the cost of one Bersa. ~Pistolero

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
For the money, you can't do better than a used S&W Model 10. There are some used (ex-P.D.) S&W Model 60s floating around that would be in your price range and will do the trick.

·
Registered
430 Posts
For something smaller than a 1911, I'd really have to go with the Bersa .380 as other's have said. The Kel-Tec P11 and P3AT are both good choices as well. As for the suggestion of a used revolver, that's feasible. I purchased a DAO Smith M64 for $180 out the door about 4 months ago. It's a great gun, but with a 4" barrel, and square butt frame, I'd hesistate to refer to it as much smaller than a 1911. It is considerably lighter, but not smaller physically (in terms of length and width).

In your case, I would look at the Bersa .380s for a new firearm and for a used .38 special snub. It's hard to beat a 2" snub for carry!

-Rob

·
Registered
64 Posts
I picked up a nickle plated Bersa .380 at our local Gander Mountain store for only $ 139.00. It is absolutely accurate, problem free and easy to conceal. I use it mostly in the summer when it is more difficult to conceal the Beretta 9000S which I carry in a sigtac jacket or an uncle mikes briefcase.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My first suggestion would be to hit the gun shops (and/or pawn shops, I don't know if they sell pistols in your area) and look for a good used weapon, I've run across some tremendous deals this way. Check gun broker and guns America too, it is a PITA, but you can find good deals there sometimes. Don't restrict yourself too much either, the pistol you want now is just to get you by until your finances firm up and you can get something better, so don't count out something like a PD trade-in wheelgun. Worry about getting the best pistol you can find in your price range. As long as the weapon works well and fits your needs, so what if not something you want to keep forever.

That said, I've been looking at the CZ-82;
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Czech_CZ-82_9x18_Pistol.html
A 12 shot semi-auto (if ya' gotta throw beans, have a lot ta throw is my motto) and it's a CZ! Not the greatest weapon ever invented but I've heard good things. I also think the 9x18 is a better round than a .32acp, and (if you can get them to run) JHP's are available. Nor is a Makarov a bad option, my wife had one for years and it worked well.

I'm not a big fan of the Bersa's and similar pistols, they might be ok, but I would have to be really desperate to go that route.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I live close (40 miles) to Greenville & recommend two shops you should visit. I've bought at both & both are very reliable & reputable. Doc's Gun & pawn has a huge inventory, almost all used, there in G'ville. Tell Glenn the high power guy (George) sent you. Second shop, Guns Unlimited in Ayden will have mostly new firearms, but Jerry is VERY knowledgeable & helpful--We are good friends & tell him George sent you, also.
None of this will get you "insider" deals, nor will I benefit, but hopefully will help you find what you want. :) Regards, G>M>F>

1 - 20 of 27 Posts