Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

When shooting any firearm anymore it seems like there's a delay. Hammer falls, pause, boom. I know it can't be more than a couple milliseconds but it's something I notice.

It's less pronounced on Glocks, more so on pistols with hammers, and most pronounced on SA revolvers (think M1873).

I reconciled myself to the fact that I'd have to wait for the slide to return before shooting again years back. But this hammer thing... I even notice it on the '69 Romanian.

To be honest I'm developing an itty bitty flinch from this. Besides concentrating on the sights is there anything I can do to keep this from happening? Does anyone else notice this? It happens with every brand of ammo I've tried. I just like to shoot fast.

Help?

Thank you,

Josh <><

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Josh, military shooters, particularly snipers, will tell you the steps for accurate shooting are position, grip (or for rifles cheek weld), sight picture, breathing, trigger squeeze and FOLLOW THROUGH. They've been well indoctrinated! Snipers will try to hold the sight piture for about 5 seconds or more after the shot has gone down range.

I suspect the problem you are experiencing has less to do with the "locktime" than with "rushing the shot". Try working on your follow through, and see if that doesn't eliminate the tendency to flinch.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Abninftr,

Thank you. I sometimes have trouble heeding my own advice. Back to basics in other words.

The other part of the question I guess is it's just annoying. I am beginning to wonder if Remington was on to something when they made that electronic ignition 700.

Thank you Sir,

Josh <><

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Quite a number of target match guns, - olympic competition use electronic firing systems for that reason (affect on accuracy), but I don't expect to see it anytime soon on any everyday handgun.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think if you really notice the locktime, you need to cut back on the coffee a little bit. You are WAY too tight. Like you said, you're talking miliseconds. :)

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I won't argue with the Cajun on this one.

From personal experience in combat when tachypsyche kicked in or I had an "out of body" sensation of watching myself in what seemed like slow motion I wasn't consciously aware of any time lapse between pulling the trigger and the "net result".

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Abninftr,

Dog attack. I wasn't aware of it either. It's a state of altered perception though...

I think I'll chalk this up to a good thread starter and file it in the mental filing cabinet under "things that annoy me for right now."

Thank you again,

Josh <><

P.S. I do need to lay off the coffee though ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts